T-wing

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

T-wing

Post by 11kalnmitc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I know the T-wing is a new selling point for Daiwa and with both the T3 and the Tatula having this design I'm curious to see how soon it will be before other companies come out with their own version to try and match it. I personally haven't used one of the reels with the T-wing design but have heard a lot of good things, so anyone who has used one of these reels I would like to see if you think the T-wing is really as big of an improvement as Daiwa is making it out to be. I know there are a lot of things companies do to hype up a product.....Twitchin bar, flipping switch, things of that nature which I have used and realized I could easily do without and not notice a thing. I mean I really prefer flipping without a reel with a flipping switch, i feel like I don't have the control that I like with it. I guess what I'm getting at is T-wing really as big of a revolution in reel design as it is made to be and do you guys see other companies changing designs to try and match it in the near future?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: T-wing

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Check this out http://usreel.com/products/BaitCasterFeatures.aspx
Seems really innovative, too bad their reels are a tad hideous.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I've have both of the T3 ballistic and T3-1016 reels. To simply answer your question, this t-wing system is legit. You will definitely notice improvement in casting. The one thing I really like is the "effort" required to cast when I compare my tradtional level wind reels like my pixy, steez, chronarch D and calais reels. I don't have to try to cast as hard with my T3 reels.

In regards to this concept of the t-wing, Daiwa is following in the footsteps of what the saltwater industry has been doing for years. If you notice some saltwater reels have no level-wind at all. If you've ever used any of these reels, you will notice that you get excellent casting performance since there is no level wind to rub against your fishing line. The only downside to these non-level wind reels were that you had to use your fingers to guide the line on the spool as you reel it in.

I have yet to beat my T3 reels in sheer casting distance and effort. That t-wing system is no joke and I love it for topwaters and spinnerbaits. Definitely worth the money imo.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:09 am

The T-wing offers a different casting experience for sure.Is it revolutionary,time will tell ??.
Together with 3D magforce it sure offers a magnitude of benefits that can be harnessed by the willing angler.
Judging by the initial user feedback,results look positive :D
Personally I believe it is a combination of factors that provide a superior casting experience.
With the T3 it is a mix of the following,
-Amazing 1016 spool with its great casting profile,
-T-wing with reduced friction
-3D magforce flexibility.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 am

Bootytrain wrote:Check this out http://usreel.com/products/BaitCasterFeatures.aspx
Seems really innovative, too bad their reels are a tad hideous.
I would be willing to try one of these for a couple of days on the water.....noticed the Hibdon series has the wave levelind bar but standard rotation spool.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:05 am

africanbass wrote:The T-wing offers a different casting experience for sure.Is it revolutionary,time will tell ??.
Together with 3D magforce it sure offers a magnitude of benefits that can be harnessed by the willing angler.
Judging by the initial user feedback,results look positive :D
Personally I believe it is a combination of factors that provide a superior casting experience.
With the T3 it is a mix of the following,
-Amazing 1016 spool with its great casting profile,
-T-wing with reduced friction
-3D magforce flexibility.
Hope they do this without the hood on the new JDM Tatula.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:38 am

there used to be a reel that had "curtains" for a level wind that opened from the middle all the way to the sides when the cast button was depressed (can't remember the name of it). it provided totally unencumbered line flow from the spool. that never caught on. :lol:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:09 am

21farms wrote:there used to be a reel that had "curtains" for a level wind that opened from the middle all the way to the sides when the cast button was depressed (can't remember the name of it). it provided totally unencumbered line flow from the spool. that never caught on. :lol:
Daiwa Phantom Tournament(plus a number of other variants)
Used the 'accelerator' zero friction line guide way back in 1986
Daiwa japan actually used this reel for comparison on their site :lol:
check it out,
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... /daiwa_t3/

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:30 am

africanbass wrote:
21farms wrote:there used to be a reel that had "curtains" for a level wind that opened from the middle all the way to the sides when the cast button was depressed (can't remember the name of it). it provided totally unencumbered line flow from the spool. that never caught on. :lol:
Daiwa Phantom Tournament(plus a number of other variants)
Used the 'accelerator' zero friction line guide way back in 1986
Daiwa japan actually used this reel for comparison on their site :lol:
check it out,
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... /daiwa_t3/
I have one of those tournaments. Just retired it last year.

Ima bass ninja
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ima bass ninja » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:53 am

I think the twing system is legit from What I have experienced but I don't see such a Big difference that other mfgs will try to copy it.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:07 am

Any new info on the JDM tatula?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:59 am

Image The mother of the T3 :shock:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:32 am

man, this is why i love the TT forums...the collective knowledge here is incredible. i also love how daiwa is always pushing the envelope, even way back in the day.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:31 am

beezy wrote: The only downside to these non-level wind reels were that you had to use your fingers to guide the line on the spool as you reel it in.
Does this mean I would have to guide the line in until the lure is near the tip of the rod?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:09 am

21farms wrote:man, this is why i love the TT forums...the collective knowledge here is incredible. i also love how daiwa is always pushing the envelope, even way back in the day.
X2 I am going to be a tackletour member for life! Learn something here everyday!