Team Lews drag upgrade

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Team Lews drag upgrade

Post by grantman83 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:05 am

OLD SPECS VIA TW
-Rugged carbon composite drag system, provides up to 10lbs or drag power, audible click metal star drag
-Premium bowed lightweight 80mm carbon handle with Lew’s custom EVA contoured paddles.

NEW SPECS VIA LEWS SITE
-Rugged carbon composite drag system, provides up to 14 lbs. of drag power, audible click metal star drag
-Premium bowed light weight 85mm carbon handle with Lew's® custom Soft Touch contoured paddles

I assume the .2 oz weight difference comes from the longer handle and slight drag increase?

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 am

TravHale wrote:These are the only drag components of the Team Pro. I've been thinking of adding a bit of grease to the CF washer, but i'm worried i'll lose too much drag since it's low to begin with with only the one washer.

Same gear and drag stack that the revo mgx uses....hmm...

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 am

That washer in that pic looks interesting.. Is it slightly cone shaped or are my eyes deceiving me? :D

TravHale
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TravHale » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:That washer in that pic looks interesting.. Is it slightly cone shaped or are my eyes deceiving me? :D

You're eyes are right. The outward surface of the washer is convex. I assume the drag stack from the new reel will fit the previous model.

bASSMAN
Angler
Angler

Post by bASSMAN » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 am

For maximum drag force (assuming that the drag has reach equilibrium, or 'uniform wear'), the inner diameter of the drag washers should be about 0.577 times the outer diameter.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

I just bought two of the Lew's Pro TLP1SH reels, and am disappointed with the drags, too. These are the reels with the 80mm handles.
I love the reels. They are light, smooth, and cast a mile, but the drag isn't enough for hooksets.
Is there an upgrade available, or something I can do to increase the drag strength?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 am

bASSMAN wrote:For maximum drag force (assuming that the drag has reach equilibrium, or 'uniform wear'), the inner diameter of the drag washers should be about 0.577 times the outer diameter.

Bassman,
Does the overall diameter of the drag washer affect the maximum drag, as in more leverage?

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 am

this is exactly what I wanted to find out also if someone has upgrade drag washers for these speed spools

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:24 am

jerrylo913 wrote:this is exactly what I wanted to find out also if someone has upgrade drag washers for these speed spools
I've put carbontex in a revo prm-1 (same basic stack) and it didn't help at all.

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 am

taylor5877 wrote:
jerrylo913 wrote:this is exactly what I wanted to find out also if someone has upgrade drag washers for these speed spools
I've put carbontex in a revo prm-1 (same basic stack) and it didn't help at all.
thats interesting..thanks for the heads up

bASSMAN
Angler
Angler

Post by bASSMAN » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:54 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Bassman,
Does the overall diameter of the drag washer affect the maximum drag, as in more leverage?
Hi Mark!

That's a great observation!!!
Yes indeed, the outer diameter of the drag washers, as well as the outer diameter of the drag pressure plate certainly affect the maximum drag force! In both 'uniform pressure' as well as 'uniform wear' conditions, the larger the outer diameter of the drag elements, the greater the drag force, (assuming the the inner diameter of the drag elements are correct).

Here is a link to a clutch calculator for 'uniform wear'. You will note that the greatest torque occurs when the inner washer/friction plate diameter is 0.577 times the outer diameter. Scroll down to near the bottom & giver a try :).

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/clutchtech.html

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Bassman,
That was an interesting link.
They had me with the model, but I did read down farther, enough to remind me of fun times long ago.
To me, it looks like bait casting brakes and motorcycle clutches have similar problems, but in reverse.
The bike motors got so powerful they couldn't fit a big enough clutch package into their casing to prevent slipping.
Bait casters are getting so small that they can't fit a large/strong enough brake disc into their housing to provide enough braking surface without coming up with exotic brake materials.
The newer Lew's says they have 14lbs of brake force, but the new brake assembly is .2 oz heavier, so it seems like they have reached a limit for a light reel that size, at least with their braking system.
I'm sure there are new "space age, nano-schmano" materials out there that could be used for brake discs that would increase brake force, but they would probably drive the cost of a reel up into the same stratosphere as the rockets that they came from. Hahaha

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Maybe it because they are attempting to stay with the all aluminum frame/sideplates and upgrade the drag. I'm sure they could could go the revo route of carbon sideplates to reduce weight and lower the gearbox to provide a bigger housing for gears and drag to increase pressure. I think this is the limit for a fully aluminum reel. Also, the handle is 5mm longer which could account for the weight increase as well.