Need help "switching hands" (righty to lefty)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help "switching hands" (righty to lefty)

Post by Mcyl » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 am

Afrayedknot wrote:Just ordered my first lefty reel! Hope this works out OK cause I really wanna make the switch.
It took me about 2 months to get comfortable, bigger handles help. I found regardless of which hand you wind it's good to be able side cast both fore and back handed in either hand, they will never be equal but as long as it works..

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 pm

As I mentioned above, as a left-handed person I learned to fish with a right-hand baitcast reel. It seemed very natural for me to hold the rod in my left hand and crank with the right hand. Since this was the way I first learned, no switching or unlearning was involved. It seemed very simple. But there are also many things that are designed for use by the right hand. Think of the simple example of driving a vehicle: inserting the key, turning the key, using the gear shift or window wipers or even reaching for the stereo dial. You get the idea. There are many other everyday examples most of us don’t even think about since we are so used to doing these things a certain way. But my guess is that all of this possibly could make a transition a bit easier for a left-handed person.

Beyond that, I first learned to fish in an era when a fishing reel was a round baitcast reel with the handle on the right side. That was all that was available, to my knowledge. So it wasn’t known as a right-hand round baitcast reel. It was simply called a fishing reel. It would be another decade before spinning reels first appeared. On those old baitcast reels, there was no free spool and the handle of the reel turned both ways. The thumb supplied the drag. The angler did need to use the right hand much more so than today to control the reel, and it was often kept close to or on the handle. Think hooking a Musky, a whizzing reel handle and a very hot left thumb. The right hand was then very much involved in controlling the catch. Modern reels control these actions. As the modern baitcast reel evolved to today's designs, the standard handle remained on the right side. It's no longer so necessary for a right-handed person.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am

I have spent about 3 hours by now casting and retrieving w/ a lefty reel and it is going better than expected. My left hand can wind pretty fast, and I like having the rod in my right hand for stronger hook sets.

Only problem I have run into so far is palming the reel. I can't find a comfortable way to hold the reel, but I guess I will find one eventually that I like.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Never underestimate the power of the mind. With enough time you will be accustom to using your left to reel. I switched and I'm so glad I did before I started my reel buying craze. The best is when flipping or pitching. No more switching hands, just a quick pitch, jig a few times, reel, pitch, repeat. Plus my right hand is so much stronger and more coordinate than my left so it made sense to fight and horse the fish in the boat with my right.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:47 am

I did try the lefty baitcast for a while but did not feel too comfortable in reeling big fishes in so I stay with righty and keep switching ...
Another reason I stay with righty reels is some of my reels are not available for lefty.
On spinning, I crank with lefty ... lots of my buddies doing the same thing too.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:29 am

Yeah that's one reason I was hesitant to go lefty because of availability. However these days they are making more and more lefties. I'm just bummed that the classified is filled with 80% right Hand reels and I can't buy them lol.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 am

In modern times, people considered ambidextrous (adept at using both hands) are far more likely to have been naturally left-handed, but it’s only 1% of the population. The use of the right hand, however, is encouraged in both school and on the job, and it also involves the use of many things, such as scissors, can openers, the computer mouse and on and on. As a result, it is a well-documented fact that left-handed people are much more likely to develop motor skills in their non-dominant right hand than are right-handed people not exposed to left-favoring devices.

So the switch from a right-hand to left-hand reel (and vice versa) will be easier for some than others. All one can do is try and learn if it works for them. It if doesn’t, it’s not a thing to worry about at all.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 am

I am right-handed, use only left-handed reels (spinning or baitcasting). I have much better feel (sensitivity) , control, and power to fight a fish with my right hand holding a rod. Doesn't make any sense to me to hold a rod in left hand and reel in by right hand.
Seen several times, when co-anglers been missing fish when they switching rod in hands, and bass hit a lure right at the landing. Casting and holding in same hand let me better hook a bass when that type of reaction strike occur. Just wondering who taught the people, if you right-handed to use a left hand instead :shock:

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 am

Historically, the radius of the first baitcast reel handles was small and it was easier for most people to use their stronger hand for cranking. These handles barely extended beyond the sideplate and early on sometimes less than that. Also, the trigger on baitcast rods came later, and it was easier to control the rod with the right hand on the reel or reel handle since the baitcast reel sat on top of the rod. And that has to do with why the handles of spinning reels, which are held beneath the rod, could be designed the way they were, with the extension of the reel foot held at all times between fingers of the casting hand, with the outgoing line controlled by a finger. A baitcast reel had to be atop the rod to allow thumb action.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 pm

This compulsion to change retrieve hands is beyond me...

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 am

dusty wrote:This compulsion to change retrieve hands is beyond me...
I wanted to change retrieve hands so I could cast faster, and by faster I mean I can cast more times in a given amount of time because I don't have to spend any time switching hands. Although the time switching hands may seem miniscule, it does add up, and does get meddlesome. If it takes 1 second total to complete the action of switching the rod to your left hand (to retrieve) + switching back to your right (to make the next cast), and you take 1000 casts, that it 1000 seconds. 1000 seconds = roughly 16 and a half minutes total of switching hands.. If you took double that amount of casts...-- well, you get the point.

I have a few more reasons, but they are all based on the idea of better efficiency and time saved..
I have now switched retrieving hands, and I can't see myself going back to righty reels due to the fact that lefty reels are advantageous in many ways and I find them much more convenient.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 am

Have any of you "lefties" calculated the time it takes to move your right hand from the casting position to the palming position? :roll:

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 am

Personally, if I ever get to the point where I'm concerned about efficiency or how much time I'm wasting switching hands or whatever, I think I'll quit fishing and just go to work instead. Much less stressful...

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:42 am

DanD wrote:Personally, if I ever get to the point where I'm concerned about efficiency or how much time I'm wasting switching hands or whatever, I think I'll quit fishing and just go to work instead. Much less stressful...
I can't help it.... I can be very technical about some things. :lol: It doesn't give me stress though; Fishing is for relieving stress.
Last edited by Afrayedknot on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:46 am

mhood wrote:Have any of you "lefties" calculated the time it takes to move your right hand from the casting position to the palming position? :roll:
This was the first time I have ever actually calculated how long it takes.. You don't have to believe that if you don't want to, but it is true. :lol:

Doesn't take too much time to switch from casting to palming position though, depending on how you cast. I have seen some people that cast with their hand still palming the reel, and some that take their hand off. Whatever works for you I guess..