13 Fishing reels????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 13 Fishing reels????

Post by JWR075 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Here is the first "review" of these reels that I have seen published. Can not wait for TT's review.

http://www.wired2fish.com/13-fishing-co ... ting-reel/
Last edited by JWR075 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 am

JWR075 wrote:Here is the first review of these reels that I have seen published. Can not wait for TT's review.

I've always had a problem with wired2fish's reviews. They always seem like long advertisements to me, and never mention any negatives of the products they review.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:49 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
JWR075 wrote:Here is the first review of these reels that I have seen published. Can not wait for TT's review.

I've always had a problem with wired2fish's reviews. They always seem like long advertisements to me, and never mention any negatives of the products they review.

X2 on the never mentions any negatives. W2F used to be a go to for info now I only do their drawings for free stuff because of the lack of a unbiased reviews. It sounds like in order to get free stuff he doesn't say anything bad about anything ever.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:

Yes, didn't mention whether it featured clicking drag star or CC knob (it does), brake adjustments, access to brakes. Bearing count, but where are they?

Was an okay overview of the product, but no meat. If you are comparative shopping, I like to see what my $170 is buying me compared to competitors reels in the same price range.

A reason why the TT reviews are so valuable. No stone unturned. :D I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Hopefully 13Fishing follows up with similar "bang for the buck" performance with their reels as they did with their rods.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 am

I agree. I wanna know what reasons there are to buy the Concept A vs the tatula or curado I, which pretty much are mid-low price range leaders.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:01 am

Afrayedknot wrote:I agree. I wanna know what reasons there are to buy the Concept A vs the tatula or curado I, which pretty much are mid-low price range leaders.
No way Jose....too much $$$ against too great a set of competition from Daiwa and Shimano alone, not to mention the other OEMs.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:00 am

dragon1 wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:I agree. I wanna know what reasons there are to buy the Concept A vs the tatula or curado I, which pretty much are mid-low price range leaders.
No way Jose....too much $$$ against too great a set of competition from Daiwa and Shimano alone, not to mention the other OEMs.
Not sure I would totally write off these new reels out of hand. It certainly is a tough market to crack into given Daiwa, Shimano and Abu's name recognition, reputation and years of dominance.

With the latest group of reels released by Daiwa and Shimano falling into or near this price range, it's a pretty steep climb for any new company trying to compete for a market share unless they offer something truly special.

IMO, one way a company could grab market share would be to provide detailed specifications showing where their product exceeds the competition's product feature by feature (again, works only if your product's specifications are better than your competitor's) :lol: . Assuming they are, this approach can get consumers to at least try your offering and get "word of mouth" going. Even then, there is still the durability issue which can't be verified except over time.

A tough road for sure. Should be interesting to see how things pan out.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:26 am

dragon1 wrote:
I'm going to be trying a Curado soon, but if TT comes out and gives these a 9; I'd probably put the Curado 2nd on my list and try the 13 first. These reels are intriguing.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
facelessnewsouth wrote:

X2 on the never mentions any negatives. W2F used to be a go to for info now I only do their drawings for free stuff because of the lack of a unbiased reviews. It sounds like in order to get free stuff he doesn't say anything bad about anything ever.
X3

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 pm

I stick by my early "assessment"...the lower end ones stand a chance, but the ones pushing $300+, claimed to be all original (with OEM bits and pieces maybe?)...

We'll see by the end of the year how these fair and how many will be on the Swap/Sell/Buy board.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Maybe the reels will be greater than the sum of their parts and blow away the competition? Doubtful but you never know.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Maybe the reels will be greater than the sum of their parts and blow away the competition? Doubtful but you never know.
They did say will be a game changer. I guess if the manage to sell a BPS reel for 169 that indeed is a game changer

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Mcyl wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Maybe the reels will be greater than the sum of their parts and blow away the competition? Doubtful but you never know.
They did say will be a game changer. I guess if the manage to sell a BPS reel for 169 that indeed is a game changer
Lol....

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I like what I see but I don't see anything game changing in the reels.

It's innovative at best and they put on stuff that anglers want.

the KP would be nice as it will be a 5oz reel, that's impressive, but not game changing.

If anything, some ardent reels were 'game changing' (not necessarily in a good way), but it's something new. I really don't see anything surprising from these reels.

For starters, I don't see a brand new braking/braking system that we haven't seen before. These reels are one year too late into the market, I just don't see how the concept C (which should be their best seller) will crush the Tatula and the Curado i or the Chronarch Ci4+

If Daiwa brings the SS over this year @ iCast at the current JDM pricing, there's not even a reason to go with the Concept E. Which pretty much leaves the KP to be the only contender. If they are smart with their strategy, they would release ONLY the KP and make it a Halo product. Once it receives enough positive feedback and respect, then make your way down to the largest pricing segment which the A and C are trying to break in!

13 did a great job with the Omen and Envy rods; But their strategy with these reels are just not going to fly. Did I also mention there are way too many gear ratios in each model? imagine being a retailer just trying to stock these!

Oh, lefties will be SOL until early 2015.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 pm

ah_long wrote:I like what I see but I don't see anything game changing in the reels.

It's innovative at best and they put on stuff that anglers want.

the KP would be nice as it will be a 5oz reel, that's impressive, but not game changing.

If anything, some ardent reels were 'game changing' (not necessarily in a good way), but it's something new. I really don't see anything surprising from these reels.

For starters, I don't see a brand new braking/braking system that we haven't seen before. These reels are one year too late into the market, I just don't see how the concept C (which should be their best seller) will crush the Tatula and the Curado i or the Chronarch Ci4+

If Daiwa brings the SS over this year @ iCast at the current JDM pricing, there's not even a reason to go with the Concept E. Which pretty much leaves the KP to be the only contender. If they are smart with their strategy, they would release ONLY the KP and make it a Halo product. Once it receives enough positive feedback and respect, then make your way down to the largest pricing segment which the A and C are trying to break in!

13 did a great job with the Omen and Envy rods; But their strategy with these reels are just not going to fly. Did I also mention there are way too many gear ratios in each model? imagine being a retailer just trying to stock these!

Oh, lefties will be SOL until early 2015.
I think 13 fishing is banking on the recent revival success of the American brand Lews, which is very popular among non enthusiast anglers. Also their rods got very popular in a short amount of time which can only help their reel sales.