13 Fishing reels????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing reels????

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Bootytrain wrote:I think 13 fishing is banking on the recent revival success of the American brand Lews, which is very popular among non enthusiast anglers. Also their rods got very popular in a short amount of time which can only help their reel sales.
Wouldn't that make these reels OEM then? ](*,)

So what would the gist be?

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 am

if anyone has one, the country of origin should be clearly stamped.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:53 am

brokeneye wrote:if anyone has one, the country of origin should be clearly stamped.
I read somewhere that they were made in Korea.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:01 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
brokeneye wrote:if anyone has one, the country of origin should be clearly stamped.
I read somewhere that they were made in Korea.

ain't got a dog in this hunt but, if true, seems like that would give credence to the oem argument.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:42 am

ah_long wrote:I like what I see but I don't see anything game changing in the reels.

It's innovative at best and they put on stuff that anglers want.

the KP would be nice as it will be a 5oz reel, that's impressive, but not game changing.

If anything, some ardent reels were 'game changing' (not necessarily in a good way), but it's something new. I really don't see anything surprising from these reels.

For starters, I don't see a brand new braking/braking system that we haven't seen before. These reels are one year too late into the market, I just don't see how the concept C (which should be their best seller) will crush the Tatula and the Curado i or the Chronarch Ci4+

If Daiwa brings the SS over this year @ iCast at the current JDM pricing, there's not even a reason to go with the Concept E. Which pretty much leaves the KP to be the only contender. If they are smart with their strategy, they would release ONLY the KP and make it a Halo product. Once it receives enough positive feedback and respect, then make your way down to the largest pricing segment which the A and C are trying to break in!

13 did a great job with the Omen and Envy rods; But their strategy with these reels are just not going to fly. Did I also mention there are way too many gear ratios in each model? imagine being a retailer just trying to stock these!

Oh, lefties will be SOL until early 2015.
On what basis are you making these arguments. Based on everything you said I have failed to read anything regarding on the water objectivity.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 am

I have to say..it was almost like old corporate men at Daiwa and Shimano met up like mafia capos and went " Enough if these OEM upstarts, this battle belongs to us" and now release a spate of great mid prices reels.

About these reels...it doesn't matter what they do, or say other OEMs as a matter if fact. The big two has experience, designs their own designs not bought or copied and the economy of scale plus organic distributors.
If 13 improved, they will just raise the bar.

13's strategy is smart: rather than make the products better they have saturated their marketing throughout social media. They pass out continual quantities to "prostaff" based on their social media efforts. Likewise the continual giveaway of prizes in "like" comps means that they don't need a superior product, because for the non-fanatical (TTF) consumers, 13 is something the are at every corner and every rampant sharer on Facebook.

Smart strategy, as in VHS vs Beta, it's not about the best it's about who shouts the loudest in consumer goods.
It's a very clever strategy to gain market share rapidly. And once the problems come out, it's easy enough to close start a new name and start the process again. 13 today...then 8? 555 which ever number the Chinese venture capitalist decide.

So as to not blow wind up my own a** and not mention one particular brand, I admire efforts of Edge, Evergreen, Accurate. They're fighting against the tide but they do it with such pride...very cool.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Chode wrote:
ah_long wrote:I like what I see but I don't see anything game changing in the reels.

the KP would be nice as it will be a 5oz reel, that's impressive, but not game changing.

If anything, some ardent reels were 'game changing' (not necessarily in a good way), but it's something new. I really don't see anything surprising from these reels.

For starters, I don't see a brand new braking/braking system that we haven't seen before. These reels are one year too late into the market, I just don't see how the concept C (which should be their best seller) will crush the Tatula and the Curado i or the Chronarch Ci4+

If Daiwa brings the SS over this year @ iCast at the current JDM pricing, there's not even a reason to go with the Concept E. Which pretty much leaves the KP to be the only contender. If they are smart with their strategy, they would release ONLY the KP and make it a Halo product. Once it receives enough positive feedback and respect, then make your way down to the largest pricing segment which the A and C are trying to break in!

13 did a great job with the Omen and Envy rods; But their strategy with these reels are just not going to fly. Did I also mention there are way too many gear ratios in each model? imagine being a retailer just trying to stock these!

On what basis are you making these arguments. Based on everything you said I have failed to read anything regarding on the water objectivity.
You are correct Sir, there's nothing regarding water objectivity from my post. All the arguments I presented are based on the current market situation and what the new 13 reels bring forth to the crowded segments.

I'm basing my opinions on observations and having handled and examined the A, C and E reels first hand; which is what most consumer would do. Not everyone are able to fish a reel before buying it.

13 was very successful with the rods because their rods do excel in the price segments in which they represent. And those qualities are perceivable as soon as the customer handles the rod in the store. The same cannot be said to the reels when they are placed beside Shimano, Daiwa, Lews or Abu.

As someone else has already mentioned, 13 is banking on the largely successful Social Media campaign that they have going for them. However, as original as they claim these reels are, to me they are just another OEM type product built to their specs.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Pending when knowledge of where these "made by 13 Fishing"/non-OEM reels is made public - I would like to see if they will receive the same amount of grief as did Kistler, with their "made in the USA" marketing on some of their prior rods.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:29 pm

dragon1 wrote:Pending when knowledge of where these "made by 13 Fishing"/non-OEM reels is made public - I would like to see if they will receive the same amount of grief as did Kistler, with their "made in the USA" marketing on some of their prior rods.
depends on what your definition of OEM is.. 13 maintains that they built these reel from scratch but uses another company for tooling and manufacturing. I'm sure the factory that churns these out have a certain amount of input to the final product. The amount of input and limitations from the factory will determine whether these reels are truly original or a modified OEM product.

Daiwa, Shimano and Abu (Sweden) are probably the only true original reels in the Bass market right now. Oh, and probably Ardent.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I saw a picture of the braking system of the Concept C.. Looks strangely similar to Okumas centrifugal system.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:43 pm

ah_long wrote:
dragon1 wrote:Pending when knowledge of where these "made by 13 Fishing"/non-OEM reels is made public - I would like to see if they will receive the same amount of grief as did Kistler, with their "made in the USA" marketing on some of their prior rods.
depends on what your definition of OEM is.. 13 maintains that they built these reel from scratch but uses another company for tooling and manufacturing. I'm sure the factory that churns these out have a certain amount of input to the final product. The amount of input and limitations from the factory will determine whether these reels are truly original or a modified OEM product.

Daiwa, Shimano and Abu (Sweden) are probably the only true original reels in the Bass market right now. Oh, and probably Ardent.
There are distinctively original parts to them.
They added the logo, a shaped levelwind and the knobs are unique.
I wish they sold the knobs separately. It'll fit well on my Tatulas

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:02 am

Bootytrain wrote:I saw a picture of the braking system of the Concept C.. Looks strangely similar to Okumas centrifugal system.
Yes, agree. Only a few ways to institute braking, and most all companies use some variation on those designs.

OEM however is a pretty precise term.

Definition of 'Original Equipment Manufacturer - OEM'

1. The original definition: a company whose products are used as components in another company's product. The OEM will generally work closely with the company that sells the finished product (often called a "value-added reseller" or VAR) and customize the designs based on the VAR's needs.

2. The more recent definition: a company that buys a product and incorporates or re-brands it into a new product under its own name.

With few exceptions most companies use some OEM in their products, whether it's a component incorporated within or the entire end product (that's re-branded with their new company name).

If you really think about it, what company actually manufacturers and builds their entire product line (top to bottom)? Fuji makes guides and reel seats for nearly every rod maker). So definition #1 certainly would apply.

Just something to consider when making a critical product analysis.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 am

I am not so much, trying to make/discern a "critical new product analysis", as much as calling out the "engineers", but not necessarily the designers from 13 Fishing...granted I understand what their marketing dept is attempting to accomplish. ;)

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:07 am

These seem to be available now......so who's going to be first?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:43 am

ah_long wrote:
Chode wrote:

You are correct Sir, there's nothing regarding water objectivity from my post. All the arguments I presented are based on the current market situation and what the new 13 reels bring forth to the crowded segments.

I'm basing my opinions on observations and having handled and examined the A, C and E reels first hand; which is what most consumer would do. Not everyone are able to fish a reel before buying it.

13 was very successful with the rods because their rods do excel in the price segments in which they represent. And those qualities are perceivable as soon as the customer handles the rod in the store. The same cannot be said to the reels when they are placed beside Shimano, Daiwa, Lews or Abu.

As someone else has already mentioned, 13 is banking on the largely successful Social Media campaign that they have going for them. However, as original as they claim these reels are, to me they are just another OEM type product built to their specs.
really?!?! you could tell how good their rods were from picking it up in the store w/o fishing them? :-k