13 Fishing reels????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing reels????

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am

OSPIMAE wrote:They cast like a dream!
Are you the winner of that contest for the Ace A reel or did you just manage to get your hands on it before release? :-s

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 am

Tackle Warehouse is taking preorders for the Concept A, C, and E.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/13_Fishi ... -TFCR.html

OSPIMAE
Angler
Angler

Post by OSPIMAE » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
JWR075 wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:
OSPIMAE wrote:They cast like a dream!
Can you go into detail? How did you get your hands on one and have you cast it or seen someone cast it or what?? =P~
Not sure if this is the case, but earlier this year 13 Fishing was giving one away a Concept A and the winner was picked on Jan 21st.
Yeah I remember that.. Maybe he is the winner?

I am a friend of the Australian distributors and have used an A prototype he has.
Casted a OSP Tiny Blitz MR (1/4oz) on an OMEN Black 610ML baitcaster with 16lb braid.
Casted with brakes set to 3
Easily casted around 20-25m (around 65-80 feet) for you guys

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

It is a shame no lefties will be available for some time.....a long time. Looking at the pics on TW, these reels look superb. The frame shape reminds me of an alien head. I am very curious where these are being built.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:40 pm

http://anglingauthority.com/2014/02/13- ... itcasters/

More information.

Interestingly, it says the KP spool is .5oz lighter than the other spools. I don't know how heavy the other spools are, but if you subtract 14grams from any total, that's a pretty big difference. I'm interested to see real world reviews of these things. They certainly look pretty sweet.

Says the frames are the same. Wonder if you can buy the KP spool separate and just stick it in the black one.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 pm

tywithay wrote:http://anglingauthority.com/2014/02/13- ... itcasters/

More information.

Interestingly, it says the KP spool is .5oz lighter than the other spools. I don't know how heavy the other spools are, but if you subtract 14grams from any total, that's a pretty big difference. I'm interested to see real world reviews of these things. They certainly look pretty sweet.

Says the frames are the same. Wonder if you can buy the KP spool separate and just stick it in the black one.
X2

I am guessing the KP spool is more than 10 grams. I couldn't see it being any lighter since it is not a shallow spool, and also the okuma style braking system is attached to the spool which probably weighs 2 or so grams. Let's say the spool weighs 14 grams.

That would mean the A,C, and E reel spools are all 28 grams. That is almost a full oz., and that is without line.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:

More information.

X2

I am guessing the KP spool is more than 10 grams. I couldn't see it being any lighter since it is not a shallow spool, and also the okuma style braking system is attached to the spool which probably weighs 2 or so grams. Let's say the spool weighs 14 grams.

That would mean the A,C, and E reel spools are all 28 grams. That is almost a full oz., and that is without line.
Well the lightest spool to date is around 5.6g maybe 13 Fishing out designed Daiwa and made a 5g spool. That would take the standards to 19g but "they cast a dream" launching finesse bibbed cranks on 6'10"F 6-12lb rod. I was told by an AU 13 guy that these reels are not OEM. So I guess 13 designed and manufactured a reel that can use a heavy spool to launch finesse bibbed baits on a medium jig rod.

I wonder if my new weapon in waiting will keep up with the KP.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
boris317 wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Just because these reels have a dial like an Okuma doesn't mean it will perform the same as an Okuma does it? I think we are jumping the gun a bit
I am not saying that the okuma reels don't perform. I am just saying I personally don't like the dial on the spool design. The extra weight on the spool (compared to shimano vbs) is probably minimal, but I just can't stand that idea of there being a dial on the spool. Just personal preference/quirk. :)
I don't care about the perceived extra weight on the spool but I do find the dial under the side plate a bit "awkward" to adjust.
I was exaggerating, but look at this pic:
Image =;

Side braking system on that spool must weigh at least a few grams..
Which Okuma reel is that? I've always wondered about Okumas, they have a Japanese name but I can't recall seeing them used in JP. Are they a japanese manufacturer? That Helio Air is said to have full MG on frame and both side plates, at $269 for a full Mg japanese reel it seems be a bargain
Last edited by Mcyl on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:

More information.

X2

It's not out of the question that the KP spool could be anywhere from 7-12 greams. A lot of deep spools in reels that cost far less are around 14-18 grams. I imagine they're using top end materials in the KP, so the spool could be in that range. I am guessing 10 grams is about right on.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 pm

The 13 Fishing rep's statement about a .5-oz. difference had to be a rough figure or a flat-out-wrong statement; at least, one must hope so.

The Okuma Serrano has a 19 g. spool with its included bearing; Okuma's high-end Helios' spool, with bearing, weighs 16 oz. Afrayedknot's estimate of 14 g. for the KP spool sounds plausible; I can imagine it as low as 10 g. without the bearing.

If that spool were truly half an ounce lighter than the A, C, and E spools, then they would be oddly, out-of-the-market heavy and of limited use for pitching. I can't believe that 13 Fishing made that choice in reels supposedly designed from scratch.

Incidentally, other things being equal, a shallow spool will be heavier than a deep spool because it has a more massive drum. They tend to be lighter because other things aren't equal; they are made of lighter materials for anglers willing to pay more for spools that, with wet line, will have minimum overall weight.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Bronzeye wrote:The 13 Fishing rep's statement about a .5-oz. difference had to be a rough figure or a flat-out-wrong statement; at least, one must hope so.

The Okuma Serrano has a 19 g. spool with its included bearing; Okuma's high-end Helios' spool, with bearing, weighs 16 oz. Afrayedknot's estimate of 14 g. for the KP spool sounds plausible; I can imagine it as low as 10 g. without the bearing.

If that spool were truly half an ounce lighter than the A, C, and E spools, then they would be oddly, out-of-the-market heavy and of limited use for pitching. I can't believe that 13 Fishing made that choice in reels supposedly designed from scratch.

Incidentally, other things being equal, a shallow spool will be heavier than a deep spool because it has a more massive drum. They tend to be lighter because other things aren't equal; they are made of lighter materials for anglers willing to pay more for spools that, with wet line, will have minimum overall weight.
They have their guys fishing 1/4 deep cranks on ML short jig rods with the standard spool. I guess you could dial the CC right back and swing like no tomorrow ie. Make your own luck!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am

tywithay wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:

More information.

X2

It's not out of the question that the KP spool could be anywhere from 7-12 greams. A lot of deep spools in reels that cost far less are around 14-18 grams. I imagine they're using top end materials in the KP, so the spool could be in that range. I am guessing 10 grams is about right on.
Well the Daiwa Air spools are 5.6g with bearing perhaps 13 made on even lighter. As for top end materials…my T3 SV and LTZ were supposed to be top end materials…on my top of my repair list is more accurate...

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 am

Read on the 13 Fishing FB page, that they are tooling up for left hand reels, so maybe they will not be to far out after the righties come out. Also rumor is there might be a spinning reel/s coming down the pipe sometime in the near future.

Fishntime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishntime » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I for one will be trying one of these bad boys out. I'm thinking the white one for starters. Can't get this monkey off my back.

gfresh
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by gfresh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Here's a chance to win the Concept A before it's available in stores: http://anglingauthority.com/2014/02/13- ... -giveaway/