13 Fishing reels????

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing reels????

Post by Mcyl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:18 pm

OSPIMAE wrote:
Mcyl wrote:
OSPIMAE wrote:1.5oz baits will be fine
How do you think the As will go up against the new Curado or the Tatula R?

Like wise the more " performance" models against Metaniums and the SSV?

Thought you said you'd used one bahahahaha
Idiot.
Is there a reason for avoiding the question. I'm sure there are many that are dying to know.

Well you said my reports were fake right?

So, you're the official word here with your ties and what not.
What's the answer? How do they fish against the mid market Shim/Daiwa reels?

Where are they made?

The Tatulas have been out for a while and available in most major markets.
Use that as a comparison.

We're all waiting
Last edited by Mcyl on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tt350z » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:20 pm

husonfirst wrote:What the heck is this thing?

The Teardrop.

It's one of their ice fishing reels

TeddybearCrisis
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TeddybearCrisis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Is there going to be a TT-Review on the concept reels?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm

And there was silence...I bet Alan Tani will do one.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:15 pm

TeddybearCrisis wrote:Is there going to be a TT-Review on the concept reels?
TT has at least the A reel in hand. They should have a review, but I don't know if it will come out until closer to the release date.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 am

OSPIMAE wrote:
Mcyl wrote:
OSPIMAE wrote:1.5oz baits will be fine
How do you think the As will go up against the new Curado or the Tatula R?

Like wise the more " performance" models against Metaniums and the SSV?
Thought you said you'd used one bahahahaha
Idiot.
- No Personal Attacks : Name calling, racial slurs, or any other demeaning behavior will result in immediate suspension.

Rules are in place for a purpose. If you can't be civil in a response, don't post.

I cleaned this thread up once for it going off track.
Mcyl wrote:
USA-RET wrote:I'm pretty confident that if the KP spool is listed as .5 ounces lighter than the other Concept spools, it is going to be .5 ounces lighter. From what I can gather, the KP was designed to be a very special reel with a lot of thought put into quality components for durability and not just weight savings. Still cannot fathom a reel .5 ounces lighter than a Steez. :shock:

I'd wait for the reviews (which should forthcoming) before speculating too much on how well one reel will perform compared to another. If past performance is any indication of future results, 13Fishing may have some very interesting offerings coming our way.

I know I can't wait to see the TT reviews and comments.
I can...the MGX extreme. Just anothe MGX but lighter and redder.
I've come to really like steezes :D
I like my Steez reels also. At $449 MSRP , they were a bargain, (although still an expensive one). At their $600 price point, there is certainly room in the marketplace for some competition with a lower price tag. Like the Core 50 and now the new Metanium (after reading the TT review), It makes one wonder how much more that $200 up-charge actually provides with a Steez.

It's my understanding that the KP was built as a "special edition project" reel in addition to the Concept A, C and E reels. That being said, I'm anxiously awaiting an "in depth" KP review to see how it stacks up build and performance-wise.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:21 am

That's ok. No offense taken, considering how I stepped backwards OFF the boat on hookset, Clown, Joker kinda fits nicely.
Hell my own prostaffers reckons I can have a career as the new Bill Dance.
I'm still waiting for an answer however...
With a handle name like that my best guess is Fish-Tec solutions ( they stock Imakatsu and OSP...major rivals in Japan)

USA-Ret: IMO I think the Core was a more versatile reel than the steez in all areas...but fishing all day with the steez...man it's an amazing feeling. And for the SW/brackish anglers the steez can be modified for SW use. I first tested it in 2012 and now E-bassfisher can do the same.

Lastly OSPIMAE:
Reels are toys and tools for me, not a commodity hence I can speculate and opine with no conflict of interest.
Mixing 13 Fishing with OSP/IK...I wonder what would T.Namiki think? It's kinda like sticking A Hyundai motor into a Porsche :-)

And yes you guess correctly. I'm Martin Lo.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 am

Ok, as of right now, only RH are available, so us leftys are SOL

I played with the reels again today and here's a shot of the spools, the C and E spools are definitely lighter than the A.

For me, the C and KP are the worthy contenders in this line up.

The A is a bit expensive for what if offers. The C slots in nicely and has good enough specs to compete with the other major brand offerings, especially at 6.1oz.

The E is not that special compared to the C and doesn't warrant the $140 premium to me. I can throw a set of ceramics in the C and live with the extra .3 oz.

The KP is still undergoing some minor changes as far as I know, but this would be the reel to look for!

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 am

ah_long wrote:Ok, as of right now, only RH are available, so us leftys are SOL

I played with the reels again today and here's a shot of the spools, the C and E spools are definitely lighter than the A.

For me, the C and KP are the worthy contenders in this line up.

The A is a bit expensive for what if offers. The C slots in nicely and has good enough specs to compete with the other major brand offerings, especially at 6.1oz.

The E is not that special compared to the C and doesn't warrant the $140 premium to me. I can throw a set of ceramics in the C and live with the extra .3 oz.

The KP is still undergoing some minor changes as far as I know, but this would be the reel to look for!
Can you weigh the A and C spools? It's my understanding that they are the same.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:13 am

also, can u turn the spool to show the braking system? thx

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 am

ah_long wrote: I played with the reels again today and here's a shot of the spools, the C and E spools are definitely lighter than the A.
That's odd. The rep at 13 fishing I spoke to told me the a,c, and e use the same spool but different colors..

Does anyone feel like these reels are "over-hyped"? They look identical to the Okuma reels. Hopefully 13 can manufacturer their own (original) reels in the future. I would love to see another company compete with Daiwa and Shimano, but I don't think that it will be 13 fishing yet.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
ah_long wrote: I played with the reels again today and here's a shot of the spools, the C and E spools are definitely lighter than the A.
That's odd. The rep at 13 fishing I spoke to told me the a,c, and e use the same spool but different colors..

Does anyone feel like these reels are "over-hyped"? They look identical to the Okuma reels. Hopefully 13 can manufacturer their own (original) reels in the future. I would love to see another company compete with Daiwa and Shimano, but I don't think that it will be 13 fishing yet.
Yeah the braking system looks Okuma-ish

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

That is an Okuma right there. They look extremely similar other than the small ridges I'd assume are for better grip that are on the edge of the 13's braking system. There also looks to be 2 screws or maybe rivets on the 13 braking system.

One thing that really stands out to me is the non handle side of the spool. Look how long the spool shaft is on that side of the spool. Not sure if it is just the pic, or it is just long.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:23 pm

The distro guy for 13 AU said they weren't OEM.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:40 pm

I don't have the spools with me anymore. Now that I see the Okuma system again, the system on the 13 reel is actually more compact.

Design and is similar but the brakes on the 13 reels are more compact

it looks more like this, but the 13 ones are smaller and held on by screws. It also makes the spool lighter.