Daiwa t3 Ballistic

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa t3 Ballistic

Post by iabass8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:52 am

these reels are on a killer closeout price. I've never used or touched the t3. Any opinions on this reel good or bad? I know nothing of the t3 wing design and i'd be using it for casting 3/8-1/2 oz spinner baits that will pull some drag and 1/4oz swim jigs /w light trailers.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa t3 Ballistic

Post by EJP1234 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 am

I have the T3, not the ballistic though... It's pretty killer reel, casts super far and is smooth as ky...

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:06 am

It's a good smooth reel, there's no doubt about that. The drag is plenty smooth but it is a single carbon fiber washer instead of the 6 disc carbon/steel system Daiwa usually uses. I added a Steez handle to mine to upgrade it to a 4 bearing handle design and I also added a bearing to the worm gear. All to help the reel feel smoother on the retrieve. I did upgrade the bearings to Boca ABEC 7OS's which were a nice upgrade. One thing a lot of guys are doing with that reel is upgrading the spool to the RCS 1016 found in the T3 reel. My favorite thing about the reel is the Mag3d breaking system. IMO it is probably the best breaking system used by any reel manufacturer. Solid reel in no need of an upgrade if you are used to the feel of riveted knobs. Of the few upgrades I did to this reel you would be sitting around $200-225 again so I would just by the T3 if it were me or get the Tatula Type R. Don't worry about the hood if you read the few reviews that say it's a hindrance. I have used mine for 2 seasons and have had no issues.

http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwat3ballistic.html

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:04 am

hey thanks for your reply. i'm pretty sure i know the answer here but lexa100 vs t3ballistic?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 am

iabass8 wrote:hey thanks for your reply. i'm pretty sure i know the answer here but lexa100 vs t3ballistic?
Father-in-law owns Lexa and Tatula and I own the T3B. I have fished them all. Casting wise the Tatula is probably the best but T3B is a close second. I would rate them T3B or Tatula then Lexa. With the T3B getting the edge for the ability to upgrade and the Mag3D. If you can get the Lexa for cheap that would be the only way it would be worth it for me now that the T3/T3B is cheap and Tatula is now available.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:00 am

I picked one up because the price was too good to pass up. The xs model really is a step up with the upgraded handle and metal lip protector to prevent any of the line cut issues on previous models. It is smooth to reel and feels solid. I wish I could enjoy to fish it as much as I enjoy admiring it in hand.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot use the reel comfortably for anything other than flipping. I am an avid sidearm caster with the occassional long two handed toss. I fish a lot of weightless plastics and shallow cranks. I usually get leverage on the reel by placing my thumb on the top of the frame above the spool. On my Curados or Pixy/alphas this is not an issue. On the T3 Ballistic, I cannot create this leverage and thus cannot cast the way in which I am accustomed. Due to the mechanics of the hood and how it closes, there is nowhere to place my thumb comfortably. I do not want to send it back as I find the reel very unique and a deal at the TW price. But with a new Alphas on the way, it may have to. If you can comfortably cast the reel, I'm sure it would perform well on the water.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:27 pm

One of my friends work for Daiwa and I tried his loaner reel. It casts great, but other than that I did not like it. It is not smooth enough for my taste, does not even come close to my Sol or Curado E. The price is really good, so if you want it this is the time to get it.