Will TT's review of the Tatula Type R sway you?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Will TT's review of the Tatula Type R sway you?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 am

toddmc wrote:I think Daiwa was just right in the price increase for the amount of upgrades. I don't like either color that much, but the lighter spool and better bearings are worth about $50 to me. The rest of the upgrades can be done on our own. Daiwa got it right even though many people want more.
I think the price is quite fair. $50 for a lighter spool, fancier aesthetics, and corrosion resistant bearings is about right.

I'm more bummed that they wasted the Type-R Name on it. Could have called it the Tatula Pro instead, then next year come out with the Tatula Type-R. How is Daiwa going to improve on the Tatula now since they have already burned the Type R version. Type X ? Type R+ ?

What the Tatula Type R "should/could" have been IMO of course:

1. More weight savings (try to hit 7oz or less)
2. A lower capacity spool (something like an SV or HLC spool maybe)
3. All bearings instead of bushings (I think there are 2 missing on the knobs and 1 on the worm drive)
4. A 95mm or 100mm Carbon Fiber Handle for the 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 gear ratios respectively
5. A metal Nut and Nut Retainer
6. A Clicking Cast Control Cap

Daiwa would have a reel they could easily charge $300-400 for depending on the spool quality and weight savings.

Oh well, once some more spools are available we can all do this ourselves. Maybe the Zillion Type R wasn't a money maker for Daiwa in the US so they toned it down for the average American fisherman on a more modest budget.

DaveJ

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:47 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
toddmc wrote:I think Daiwa was just right in the price increase for the amount of upgrades. I don't like either color that much, but the lighter spool and better bearings are worth about $50 to me. The rest of the upgrades can be done on our own. Daiwa got it right even though many people want more.
I think the price is quite fair. $50 for a lighter spool, fancier aesthetics, and corrosion resistant bearings is about right.

I'm more bummed that they wasted the Type-R Name on it. Could have called it the Tatula Pro instead, then next year come out with the Tatula Type-R. How is Daiwa going to improve on the Tatula now since they have already burned the Type R version. Type X ? Type R+ ?

3. All bearings instead of bushings (I think there are 2 missing on the knobs and 1 on the worm drive)
4. A 95mm or 100mm Carbon Fiber Handle for the 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 gear ratios respectively

Daiwa would have a reel they could easily charge $300-400 for depending on the spool quality and weight savings.

Oh well, once some more spools are available we can all do this ourselves. Maybe the Zillion Type R wasn't a money maker for Daiwa in the US so they toned it down for the average American fisherman on a more modest budget.

DaveJ
For the extra $50 that the type r costs, I would rather buy boca OS7's, and 4 bearings to replace the bushings (one more in each knob, 2 on the levelwind). I don't like or dislike the red accents, so I don't mind not having them. The 2 or 3 grams more that the standard tatula spool weighs would most likely not be noticeable after installing the OS7's. I don't need CRBB's since I don't fish saltwater, and I can keep the standard bearings in good shape by cleaning and relubing them regularly.
Also, I don't mind the plastic star drag.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:13 am

It really hasn't deterred me much. I appreciate that Daiwa didn't mark it up anymore than they did for the "Type R" name or for the use of the zaion material. I also appreciate TT's review for being completely straight forward about it. Right now I'm dreaming of getting the Type R for worms/ jigs and the regular Tatula for an all purpose set-up.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
Judging by all the fire sales, it looks as though the T3 implementation is going by the wayside. This will open up 2 new price points for upgraded versions of the TWS using the same system as the Tatula. Do they really have to call it the Tatula to still use the TWS? They could still use other names like Tatula 1016 or something if they wanted to stay in the series and use a different spool system, but I imagine they'll just go a different route and name it something else.

I personally thought that $50 for the Type R is very reasonable. I remember AfricanBass mentioning that he paid $50+ for just the Zaion drag star on the Japan Auction sites, though this was before they were readily available on the Type R. The Black paint job looks much better than the regular, and the lighter spool is an upgrade; regardless of how small. I've upgraded all the bearings to OS7 in my Tatula's, so I don't know if the Crbb are worth the money or not, but they're a higher quality bearing so I'm sure they're an upgrade of some sort over the standard. I do agree that the Type R would have been better served going balls out with a true "tuned" version, but considering the price point, it's not unreasonable. I do like that they left the ability to tune the reel by adding 2 levelwind bearings and using removable knobs to allow for bearings there as well. If they ever come out with aftermarket spools (likely after the JDM release) then the reels will have multiple more options.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:36 am

tywithay wrote: Judging by all the fire sales, it looks as though the T3 implementation is going by the wayside. This will open up 2 new price points for upgraded versions of the TWS using the same system as the Tatula. Do they really have to call it the Tatula to still use the TWS? They could still use other names like Tatula 1016 or something if they wanted to stay in the series and use a different spool system, but I imagine they'll just go a different route and name it something else.

I personally thought that $50 for the Type R is very reasonable. I remember AfricanBass mentioning that he paid $50+ for just the Zaion drag star on the Japan Auction sites, though this was before they were readily available on the Type R. The Black paint job looks much better than the regular, and the lighter spool is an upgrade; regardless of how small. I've upgraded all the bearings to OS7 in my Tatula's, so I don't know if the Crbb are worth the money or not, but they're a higher quality bearing so I'm sure they're an upgrade of some sort over the standard. I do agree that the Type R would have been better served going balls out with a true "tuned" version, but considering the price point, it's not unreasonable. I do like that they left the ability to tune the reel by adding 2 levelwind bearings and using removable knobs to allow for bearings there as well. If they ever come out with aftermarket spools (likely after the JDM release) then the reels will have multiple more options.
I will be interesting to see what Daiwa's next new reel will be. The Round Reels are all being retired. The Zillion is probably on its way out. Now the T3 line appears to be retiring as well. I suppose the Steez isn't going anywhere. Daiwa has essentially killed the Lexa 100 with the introduction of the Exceler (A Lexa with a composite handle-side plate) and the Tatula. The Exceler is nearly as good and a bit cheaper. The Tatula is significantly better and only a bit more expensive.

Hopefully there is a higher end "Tatula" in the works and also a smaller framed "Tatula" being considered.

DaveJ

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 am

If the lexa has mag. z it would be a nicely priced reel, but right now it just doesn't fit into the line up with just standard magforce = average performance. Why get the lexa when you could pay $30 more for the tatula, which has mag z, a tws, and air rotation? Tatula outclasses the lexa in every way.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 am

I'm going to wait until the 16th day of the TW sale when they mark the T3's down even further and order more of them... Not overly impressed with the Tatula myself... I'm sure its a good deal for what it is, but I think the T3's for $215 or less is a much better deal then the Type R from what I have seen. My T3 is a casting machine and I would put it toe to toe with my steez's.. I like it that much.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
tywithay wrote: Judging by all the fire sales, it looks as though the T3 implementation is going by the wayside. This will open up 2 new price points for upgraded versions of the TWS using the same system as the Tatula. Do they really have to call it the Tatula to still use the TWS? They could still use other names like Tatula 1016 or something if they wanted to stay in the series and use a different spool system, but I imagine they'll just go a different route and name it something else.

I will be interesting to see what Daiwa's next new reel will be. The Round Reels are all being retired. The Zillion is probably on its way out. Now the T3 line appears to be retiring as well. I suppose the Steez isn't going anywhere. Daiwa has essentially killed the Lexa 100 with the introduction of the Exceler (A Lexa with a composite handle-side plate) and the Tatula. The Exceler is nearly as good and a bit cheaper. The Tatula is significantly better and only a bit more expensive.

Hopefully there is a higher end "Tatula" in the works and also a smaller framed "Tatula" being considered.

DaveJ
I thought it quite interesting Daiwa would roll out the Lexa then practically replace it with the Tatula so soon.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 am

EJP1234 wrote:I'm going to wait until the 16th day of the TW sale when they mark the T3's down even further and order more of them... Not overly impressed with the Tatula myself... I'm sure its a good deal for what it is, but I think the T3's for $215 or less is a much better deal then the Type R from what I have seen. My T3 is a casting machine and I would put it toe to toe with my steez's.. I like it that much.
Why will they be marking the t3's lower on the 16th? What type of sales are on that day/

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
EJP1234 wrote:I'm going to wait until the 16th day of the TW sale when they mark the T3's down even further and order more of them... Not overly impressed with the Tatula myself... I'm sure its a good deal for what it is, but I think the T3's for $215 or less is a much better deal then the Type R from what I have seen. My T3 is a casting machine and I would put it toe to toe with my steez's.. I like it that much.
Why will they be marking the t3's lower on the 16th? What type of sales are on that day/
Daiwa discounts are supposed to go from 20-50% to something like 30-67% or along those lines. With any luck, that'll bring the T3 under $200, in which case I'll buy another.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 am

I'd pay that much just to be rid of the plastic drag star, not to mention the advantages I listed before. And yes, the Tatula is a decent sized reel, it's no Alphas by any means, but it's not nearly as large as I was anticipating initially.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:16 pm

I like the Type R because is lighter better drag it looks cool and I got it for free for buying a NRX 843C on Black Friday. I got the 8.1:1 another reason why I prefer the Type R.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
For the extra $50 that the type r costs, I would rather buy boca OS7's, and 4 bearings to replace the bushings (one more in each knob, 2 on the levelwind). I don't like or dislike the red accents, so I don't mind not having them. The 2 or 3 grams more that the standard tatula spool weighs would most likely not be noticeable after installing the OS7's. I don't need CRBB's since I don't fish saltwater, and I can keep the standard bearings in good shape by cleaning and relubing them regularly.
Also, I don't mind the plastic star drag.
I did replace the four bushings and handle knobs. I'll put in ABEC 7 spool bearings, as I usually do, once I feel some wear, but I think Daiwa's CRBB bearings aren't bad and are a few dollar upgrade over Daiwa's standard bearings. I have yet to fish the regular Tatula, but my Type R sure casts well. I haven't seen anyone other than TT make a comparison on here that has fished both spools. Maybe I have missed it, but this second comparison might help make up a lot of people's minds.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:45 pm

tywithay wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:
Daiwa discounts are supposed to go from 20-50% to something like 30-67% or along those lines. With any luck, that'll bring the T3 under $200, in which case I'll buy another.
:-) Glad to see I'm not the only one the knows the power of the internet.... you can check and see whats coming up in the sales if you know how... Let's just say the only thing that caught my attention was day 16, and I have with held from ordering a T3 or a few until that day.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Day 16 is now for Powell Rods, so it doesn't look like they are changing the costs on Daiwa any further.