New Abu Garcia C3/C4 question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New Abu Garcia C3/C4 question

Post by dustlane » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Does anyone know how to access the brakes on the new line of C3 and C4 round reels? The knurled screws have been replaced by a standard screw. Surely they didn't make to where you need a screwdriver to adjust the brakes. I don't use them personally but I saw one on display at BPS this past weekend and that change caught my eye. I didn't get a chance to actually handle the reel or get a good look at it but I did notice that one change.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Abu Garcia C3/C4 question

Post by Wachtel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Probably to cut costs :evil:

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Seen that before. Seems like the latest trend in round reels is making the brakes inaccessible. It is probably to "enhance the structural stability of the frame" or whatever they want to call saving a few cents.

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:46 pm

No guys, latest trend in round reels is rigidity and stability , no matter what it costs! :) ( mod ironic off)

//T

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mylobass » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:04 am

30 years of fishing nearly nothing but C's and I never found a need to alter the brake setting while out in the field. But then with just 2 resin brake collars what was there to change. The ease of access was always important to me anyway to clear line under the spool or what have you. I'm sad to see them go, but frankly would never give up the old C's for any made since the end of the 80's anyway. More alarming to me is to hear so many reports of the reel foot weld failing. I hope this is more an indication of anglers using heavy braid and maximum drag. Especially from a drag that has been 'modernized' higher than the original engineer ever designed the reel to live through.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 am

mylobass wrote:30 years of fishing nearly nothing but C's and I never found a need to alter the brake setting while out in the field. But then with just 2 resin brake collars what was there to change. The ease of access was always important to me anyway to clear line under the spool or what have you. I'm sad to see them go, but frankly would never give up the old C's for any made since the end of the 80's anyway. More alarming to me is to hear so many reports of the reel foot weld failing. I hope this is more an indication of anglers using heavy braid and maximum drag. Especially from a drag that has been 'modernized' higher than the original engineer ever designed the reel to live through.
King of Sweden's seal means, what anymore on Abus? Newest editions of C3s/C4s are likely M.I.C. now. ](*,) :sick:

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:32 am

Well at least I'm not the only one to notice this. I thought maybe due to the new bent handle they did away with knurled screws to keep people from hitting their knuckles when reeling. But that would be too sensible I suppose.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 am

dragon1 wrote:
King of Sweden's seal means, what anymore on Abus? Newest editions of C3s/C4s are likely M.I.C. now. ](*,) :sick:
The price went up 30 bucks, but they are still made in Sweden.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 am

Seph wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
The price went up 30 bucks, but they are still made in Sweden.
Well, the c3 is a c4 now and the c4 has 5 bearings, so there is that....

You almost always have to play with the tension on those more than shimano or daiwa's, but that sounds like a pain.