best reel oil?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

best reel oil?

Post by jerrylo913 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:32 am

I'm going to flush my bearings on my chronarch and core and wanted an honest opinion about reel oil.

Shimano recommends to use nothing but their oil line. Any one have experience with rocket fuel? I heard that's the best bearing oil. Not interested in hot sauce although I use it on my speed spools.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: best reel oil?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:45 am

jerrylo913 wrote:I'm going to flush my bearings on my chronarch and core and wanted an honest opinion about reel oil.

Shimano recommends to use nothing but their oil line. Any one have experience with rocket fuel? I heard that's the best bearing oil. Not interested in hot sauce although I use it on my speed spools.
I use TSI 321. It's not labeled as a reel oil but its the real deal. Super fast super slick stuff. I fish inshore a lot and bag been using it for the past 6 months with no cleaning and have no rust whatsoever. I use it on all metal parts like the level wind and such. When the liquid evaporates, it leaves like a 10 micron film that attaches to the metal and protects like no other. I paid $9 for a 4oz bottle and it should last forever. Just dip the bearings in it and then spin out the leftover liquid. Stuff is thick though so its hard to get inside the shields so I remove them. Best stuff I've found.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:08 am

I use oust met oil, but i also heard alot of good things about TSI .

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:28 am

I've tried hot sauce and alchemy oil. Alchemy oil is head and shoulders above hot sauce.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Can you use the TS 321 on plastics? Like the Chronarch CI 4+?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:30 pm

I like REM oil for SS bearings, no oil ceramic

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Does anyone know if I can use rocket fuel yellow label on my stock bearings?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:37 pm

TSI 301 is not compatable with plastics because it has a solvent mixed with it for cleaning, but the 321 is safe for plastics but it will not bond to plastic. This is the case with ceramics to because it won't bond to the ceramic balls. It does an excellent job protecting the stainless parts of a hybrid bearing though. I haven't used it as much with ceramic hybrids though but from what I've seen in use it makes stainless bearings such as Shimanos ARBs perform as good as the hybrids for the most part. 321 is the same as the 301 without the solvent.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:39 pm

stevenhatchy wrote:Can you use the TS 321 on plastics? Like the Chronarch CI 4+?
I've been using it on most metal parts on my Chronarch Ci4+ with no problems. I think it is safe for sure.

jerrylo913
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jerrylo913 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:52 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:TSI 301 is not compatable with plastics because it has a solvent mixed with it for cleaning, but the 321 is safe for plastics but it will not bond to plastic. This is the case with ceramics to because it won't bond to the ceramic balls. It does an excellent job protecting the stainless parts of a hybrid bearing though. I haven't used it as much with ceramic hybrids though but from what I've seen in use it makes stainless bearings such as Shimanos ARBs perform as good as the hybrids for the most part. 321 is the same as the 301 without the solvent.
I will definitely have to do more research on this TSI 301. So in my case since the shimano reel bearings are SS which one should I get.

Someone said you can't use TSI 301 with bearing housing that are plastic. Aren't most reel housing plastic??? :shock:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:02 pm

jerrylo913 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:TSI 301 is not compatable with plastics because it has a solvent mixed with it for cleaning, but the 321 is safe for plastics but it will not bond to plastic. This is the case with ceramics to because it won't bond to the ceramic balls. It does an excellent job protecting the stainless parts of a hybrid bearing though. I haven't used it as much with ceramic hybrids though but from what I've seen in use it makes stainless bearings such as Shimanos ARBs perform as good as the hybrids for the most part. 321 is the same as the 301 without the solvent.
I will definitely have to do more research on this TSI 301. So in my case since the shimano reel bearings are SS which one should I get.

Someone said you can't use TSI 301 with bearing housing that are plastic. Aren't most reel housing plastic??? :shock:
I would not use the 301 on bearings unless you remove them, dip them and then make sure they dry completely. If you get the 321 it does not contain the solvent and you don't have to worry about the plastic at all. The solvent is what eats at the plastic.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 pm

+1 For Hedgehog Alchemy

ZPI F-0 Pro Series Extra long Cast or Nano Finesse also should be good.
Last edited by Cracker on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 am

I fish in saltwater and use Rem oil on hybrid spool bearings and Penn Oil (X-1R) on almost everything else, including SS bearings. I use Hoppe’s #9 on the worm gear. It has a high viscosity and doesn’t seem to get flung or washed off so quickly on this exposed part. Its higher viscosity isn’t noticeable on the retrieve and the reels have a disengaging level wind. I use only the Penn Oil grease.

The viscosity of oil is much affected by the outside temperature, and the range is large. For example, the reported viscosity of Yellow RF is 35 at 98 degrees, 59 at 78 degrees and 285 at 38 degrees. For Hot Sauce, it’s 16, 25 and 100, respectively. It seems the reported viscosity of reel oils is generally what it is at 78 degrees, but this is rarely noted.

At 78 degrees the Shimano oil is 60, Penn X-1R 21, and BOCA High Speed Oil 18.75. Rem Oil is 3. Water is 1. I've seen several credible sources that say the Shimano oil is mineral oil.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 am

TSI 301 is great stuff. Prepping it take a bit of work and does not work ideally on ceramic bearings. It's great on standard SS bearings. One lube is enough for half a season, or full season on light Usage. It's solvent base, so carefully around paint and plastics. Keep skin contact to a minimum until the solvent part has fully dissipated.

TSI 321, on other hand, I am not sure about it's real application. It's oil base, but it's thick, even thicker than shimano oil. Currently only use on spinning reel roller bearings and knob bearings.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:35 am

Yes,321 is very thick, that is why I always remove shields when using it so the leftover oil can be blown out since you dont get any benefit from the oil in it.Also makes cleaning easier.Once blown out they are very fast.With shielded bearings I agree the 301 is better because it gets under the shields a lot easier.
I have heard to only relube when bearings get loud.After 6 months,mine are still very quiet.I fish usually at least 5 days a week for a few hours and am trying to test the corrosion resistance by not lubing for a year. We will see how it goes but so far so good, no rusting at all on anything.