Curado Being Discontinued??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado Being Discontinued??

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 am

I just received my 2014 Bass Pro catalog in the mail, and it's as bad as last year, leaving out the specs and referring readers to the website.

BUT one thing that I noticed in the Shimano reel lineup is that there is no Curado. There is the Chronarch CI4+, Core Mg, Chronarch E seies, Citica G, and Calcutta B, but no Curado.

I thought that the Curado was Shimano's best seller, so omitting it looks rather odd unless it is discontinued.
Last edited by BlaineFred on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado Being Discontinued??

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 am

didn't bantam get upset that someone released a secret before the company wanted it out? can't remember the post but I thought that is what happened.

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:32 am

Interesting...

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by down4ttown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:33 am

I like the frame on the Curado/Chronarch E series. Give me that with some xship and that will become my go to reel for mostly everything.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 am

Bass Pro's big catalog also does not include all the items that they carry, it's now more of a tool designed to drive people to the website. I/we all know something is coming regarding the Curado, but I doubt the BPS catalog is indicitive of it being cut. To me killing the Curado name/model would be like Toyota doing away with the Camry, it's an icon.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:30 am

likely not cut.

just being held off.

i don't believe you'll see any hard core sales of the "g" anymore....

likely they have something new coming out.

hopefully bringing back the quality we have all come to love. (even if that means $30-$40 more on the retail level)

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:likely not cut.

just being held off.

hopefully bringing back the quality we have all come to love. (even if that means $30-$40 more on the retail level)
That's the most logical explanation Steve. There is probably a large inventory of the G series out there, so we may see clearance sales with large discounts.

On the price points, they can't raise it too much for the new series because it would come close to the Chronarchs.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:44 am

BlaineFred wrote:

just being held off.

That's the most logical explanation Steve. There is probably a large inventory of the G series out there, so we may see clearance sales with large discounts.

On the price points, they can't raise it too much for the new series because it would come close to the Chronarchs.
Actually, that's the problem, the Chronarch IS the Curado. If they had not readjusted their lineup downward, they would have room to do what you correctly suggest; now they have to raise the price of both to make significant improvements.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:56 am

finfinder wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:

just being held off.

Actually, that's the problem, the Chronarch IS the Curado. If they had not readjusted their lineup downward, they would have room to do what you correctly suggest; now they have to raise the price of both to make significant improvements.
that's what happens when u try to deceive the public by putting a more expensive name on there and raising the price all the while selling the exact same thing

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:07 am

The only thing that would make sense to me would be to discontinue the CHRONARCH E series, keep the CI4 as the main chronarch line bring the curado back up to snuff at the $185 price point. I see no reason to keep two versions of the chronarch line. The CI4 is in line with the old chronarch price point and should be kept there. The $160-200 price should be the Curado.

I honestly think they are just selling down the existing stocks of the G series and preparing to introduce something new. Figure this, The Tatlua has taken $150-200 by storm, so maybe Shimano is looking to counter with a new Curado to set things right

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 am

Chode wrote:
finfinder wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:

just being held off.

that's what happens when u try to deceive the public by putting a more expensive name on there and raising the price all the while selling the exact same thing
Here we go again :roll:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 am

grantman83 wrote:The only thing that would make sense to me would be to discontinue the CHRONARCH E series, keep the CI4 as the main chronarch line bring the curado back up to snuff at the $185 price point. I see no reason to keep two versions of the chronarch line. The CI4 is in line with the old chronarch price point and should be kept there. The $160-200 price should be the Curado.

I honestly think they are just selling down the existing stocks of the G series and preparing to introduce something new. Figure this, The Tatlua has taken $150-200 by storm, so maybe Shimano is looking to counter with a new Curado to set things right
I 100% agree with you. Shimano better make a sweet new curado or else it's gonna be all tatula for me and probably many others. The new curado will definitely be priced in the $170+ range and the current curado g and chronarch e will both be discontinued. The chronarch ci4+ is the REAl chronarch at this point and because of this, it is priced like the older, real chronarchs (51mg, 101sf,101a, 101d). (When i say real, I mean not a curado repainted) I think it would be cool if they made a more refined version of this new curado with certain high end features that are not included in the curado and called it a chronarch g. Ci4+ sideplates would be a cool feature that could be in the chronarch g, but not the new curado. Probably not going to happen, but that would be very sweet IMO.

I think this "new curado" will be built similar to the e series, but will have x-ship and possibly ci4+ sideplates. I am almost positive it will have x-ship though because look at the shimano spinning reels, even low end reels have x-ship.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:04 am

I hope they do not discontinue the Chronarch E. It is a great platform, really a workhorse reel. I own many Curado Es and they perform very good for the higher impact techniques and fit the hand perfectly, for me and some others much bettr than the Tatula. I wanted to give a Tatula R a try for froggin but it does not fit me at all. All Shimano needs to do is place the new Curado at the $160-$180 price point and it should sell very well, back where it was before. If they added X-ship to the Chronarch E I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I hope they do not discontinue the Chronarch E. It is a great platform, really a workhorse reel. I own many Curado Es and they perform very good for the higher impact techniques and fit the hand perfectly, for me and some others much bettr than the Tatula. I wanted to give a Tatula R a try for froggin but it does not fit me at all. All Shimano needs to do is place the new Curado at the $160-$180 price point and it should sell very well, back where it was before. If they added X-ship to the Chronarch E I would buy it in a heartbeat.
If they added x-ship to the chronarch, I wonder if the met or antares micro gears would fit it...?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:10 pm

A new 50 size please slotted between the Chronarch and Core. Flip it this time and put it between the CH 50 and CH Ci4. To heck with tradition....oh, and please, please, please give me a 90 mm handle! As for the BPS master catalog, left me uninspired as always, though that is a nice pic of the Tatula rod on page 50/51. I wonder which braking system this new Curado will utilize and which material Shimano will choose to build the frame with. Keep it green, put some yellow highlights on it, and I will slap my Oregon ducks sticker on it while I fish the Columbia river in the rain.