CI4+/Core/Metanium..

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

CI4+/Core/Metanium..

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:05 am

Looking at upgrading a reel or two and thinking about trying some of the new(er) Shimano's. Have been using Lews TP and BB1 mostly the past year. CI4 is newest of course and seems nice on paper and generally gets good reviews, but can't find one locally (the one store locally that carries them can't keep them in stock, which is a good sign I suspect). I really like to hold a reel before purchasing, as palming feel is a big decider for me - ie for instance I cannot stand the abu gen3 sideplates and how they palm, even though they are a very popular reel

Anyway, Each of these models represents a step of in features I expect, the CI4+ kinda moving back to the Chronarch model origins after the "watering down" of the E series but with some new features like XShip and SVS. Core a bit lighter/smaller maybe and a bit better at light baits, better casting? I also recall some difference in handle bearing compatibility for the cores? Some cannot be upgraded and some can? The Core line was refreshed recently, yes? Then the Metanium, has MG, XShip and SVS which I take it is an upgrade over VBS... Also better LH options than the Core, with 3 options, but again putting my hands on one has been problematic.

What convinces you to choose one over the other? I'd see myself needing a hi-speed model for a DX745, and mid speed for a DX744, Lefties, of course :). They appear similar in format, how are they for palming

Minor things I like reels to have, bearing supported knobs, clicking drag and tension - I assume these higher end Shimano's will have these?

'78
Last edited by 78Staff on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triton21x MD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: CI4+/Core/Metanium..

Post by Triton21x MD » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 am

I have both the Core 51s and 101s and they are both awesome reels. I prefer the way the 101 palms better than the 51. If you want a higher speed ration you can get a gear set from a Chronarch 101 D7 and convert the Core to a 7.0:1 ratio. Its a very easy swap. The Cores have been my favorite reels until I got a Metanium HG. That reel is so smooth and palms great. I haven't been able to fish it yet but the initial impression is that it is going to be a step up over the Core. I will have to wait for spring to tell. As for the CI4+ i have only handled them in the store and I did not like how it felt in my hand but to each there own on comfort. If I were you I would go for the Metanium.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am

I bought the ci4+ over the metanium because after holding both of them,i feel the ci4+ palms better and is more comfortable to fish with plus I like the brass gears.neither of them have clicking cast control caps,but thats no biggie.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:28 am

Don't forget the Micro Module gears in the Metanium. Micro Module + HEG + X Ship equals serious smoothness under load.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am

I've tried the CI4+, own 2 cores, and almost picked up the Metanium (went with a Sustain instead because I didn't have a spinning reel until a couple days before Christmas!).

Love the Core, passed on the CI4+ (for now anyway) and had a really tough time putting down the Metanium in favour of the Sustain. It is a sweet reel.

Go for the Metanium or save a bunch of money and go with the CI4+ if you're against the Core!

You can't go wrong with any of the three, but if you need two… go with the CI4+ - and have some money left over for a third! :big grin:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am

Core over the Ci4+ but huge step up on the Metanium over the cores. Smoother, more power, and fits nicer.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:58 am

lol I am probably going to buy 4 reels total, 2 more for my movers - 764CB RM and 704CB, both treble bait rods - but haven't really thought about those yet other than I will probably want something in the 22-26 ipt range for the 764, and a bit faster for the 704.

If I can swap 7x gears into a Core 101 lefty easily then I won't rule them out so quickly after all.

The CI4+ just has a strange looking sideplate, with that ridge and dial - which is why I want to hold one first - probably palms fine for some, not so fine for others I suppose. Leaning to the Met but not sure I want 4 of them... Wondering if one model is good for both bottom baits ie jigs, creatures, worming, etc and for moving baits like crank/chatter/spinnerbaits, jerks, poppers, etc. Is a Met overkill for moving baits...

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm

I didn't like the palming of the CI4 either. The ridge on the reel was not comfortable to me. I got rid of mine after two outings. I really like my Cores though. Very comfortable to palm.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:58 pm

I have all three of these reels I've owned the cores the longest amount of time and they are great reels never had a problem with them. Just got the ci4 and metanium and they are also great reels, both of them being really good casters and they both handle lighter baits as well. My favorite is the metanium at the moment lol. The ci4 palms different than the other two for sure which isn't bad just feels different to me. Really can't go wrong with those reels though they are all great reels.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I can't speak for the CI4 and Core, but the Metanium is flat out awesome. The reel casts as you'd expect for the premium, but the smoothness under load on my 6.2:1 reel is other wordly. I've flat out never used a reel that quiet and smooth. It makes my curado 201D's, chronarch 101b's, and curado 101's/chronarch 51mg just almost feel bad and those are all smooth reels on the retrieve save the 51mg.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 am

If I were buying 2 new Shimanos, I would buy a Chronarch ci4+ and a Metanium over the Core. The reason being the addition of x-ship makes these reels smooth smooth smooth. I have all three and have to say the Chronarch ismy favorite although the metanium is not far behind. The Chronarch does feel a little different at first but you get used to it quickly. I find it palms better than the 50 size reel, very comfortable and I never touch the dial with 3 fingers in front of the trigger. Even without micro gears it is incredibly smooth. I use the HG for jerkbaits and the 6.2:1 for shallow cranks.
The metanium is super smooth and comfortable. Even with aluminum gears it is almost as smooth as the Chronarch with brass gears. Palming is great, though I do feel my finger rub the dial every now and then. The xg is definitely a perfect jig and worm reel although it can do much more. I use my xg for jigs of all sizes and a Hg for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. It is a cool looking reel to.
If it were me, I would purchase a 6.2:1 Chronarch for cranks and a metanium xg for bottom contact or jerkbaits.
The cores are no slouches either but without x-ship like was said they just don't feel smooth anymore, even though they are. Have caught some big reds and striper on a Chronarch Hg and it just owned those fish and still smooth as when I bought it.
Tough choice but good luck with your decision.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 am

And an Antares for the 764 cb would be a sweet setup. Not sure if you want to spend that much but that combo would be bullitproof.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks all, good info. I may wind up trying different ones as suggested, seems like a solid plan. Antares would be a stretch unless I found a nice used one, though. Will keep an eye on the FS boards as well.