pics of the new Conquest

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
carbonduke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

pics of the new Conquest

Post by carbonduke » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:01 am

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: pics of the new Conquest

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:53 am

If they make this in a 300 or 400 size there's no way I will be able to resist buying one. It looks like a tank with some great features as well. I'm more of a Daiwa fan, but Shimano has really been stepping it up as of late and this reel looks like it may be the best yet. I can't get over how good this reel looks in just aesthetics alone.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:42 am

Great link,

Can someone help me understand the new breaking system/ spool interface?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:53 am

I may jump on a 50 when they come out.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:40 am

USA-RET wrote:I may jump on a 50 when they come out.
X2 Even though the original 51 has some shortcomings, it is still my favorite reel. If the new CQ improves on these things it will be absolutely amazing!

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 am

It looks like the cam style brakes slide from off to on instead of being fixed like the metanium & antares. That is a better design since the fixed brakes on the metanium are hard to deploy.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:40 am

USA-RET wrote:I may jump on a 50 when they come out.
man, same here! if i hadn't known that there was gonna be one, i would've probably already put some $ down on a new cq100....beautiful reels

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 pm

goldrod wrote:Great link,

Can someone help me understand the new breaking system/ spool interface?
It does look like they slide from "on" to "off", as dhottle suggests. I don't know if you are asking beyond that, but these brakes swing out as the spool spins. Inside (within the circumference of the brakes), there is a conical drum of sorts that the rounded section of the brakes rub against. Since they are somewhat cam-shaped, they only engage the spool as they swing out. By adjusting the drum in, and out, you can adjust the amount of friction across a finer gradient than merely turning brake arms on, or off (due to the increasing diameter of the conical drum). You can also do it on-the-fly.

Basically, it works on centrifugal "force", like the old Shimano brakes. However, instead of rubbing on a ring around the outside of the brakes, the backside of the brake rubs against an adjustable drum on the inside.