Zillion Vs Zillion

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Zillion Vs Zillion

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:02 am

Im looking into the Type-R or the Coastal. Both are nice reels, and may lean more on the Coastal side due to I can use it for salt water as well. Those who own them please give me some input on the reels, what are your thoughts/experiences. Also, a important question. I have heard that the gears that drive the worm shaft assembly are made out of metal instead of plastic, is this true?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion Vs Zillion

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:32 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Im looking into the Type-R or the Coastal. Both are nice reels, and may lean more on the Coastal side due to I can use it for salt water as well. Those who own them please give me some input on the reels, what are your thoughts/experiences. Also, a important question. I have heard that the gears that drive the worm shaft assembly are made out of metal instead of plastic, is this true?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Type-R OK for Saltwater as well?

Worm-shaft gear is brass in my Zillion SHA.

DaveJ

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Im looking into the Type-R or the Coastal. Both are nice reels, and may lean more on the Coastal side due to I can use it for salt water as well. Those who own them please give me some input on the reels, what are your thoughts/experiences. Also, a important question. I have heard that the gears that drive the worm shaft assembly are made out of metal instead of plastic, is this true?
Both of the idle gears are brass. I am not 100% sure what the differences are between the zillion and zillion coastal, but I think it is just CRBB's.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 am

I've owned both and the only reason I got rid of the coastal was because I was able to jump on a Zillion 50th anniversary. The type r has the carbon fiber handle, 4 bearing knobs, robust drag etc. I use the type r for frogging and punching so the drag and smooth knobs make a big difference to me. Is that worth the extra $100? I think so but others may not. However I do not salt water fish so the corrosion isn't a bother for me.

They are both awesome so whichever you choose, I am sure you will be happy especially if you can get them at a lower price. I saw a few coastals for sale in the classifieds that were in awesome shape that if I wasn't already a few rods short I would have picked up.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 am

They are both awesome reels and I have used both in saltwater without any problems (at least not yet). For the price difference I would say get the coastal (it looks really good on a blue NRX or Dobyns CHamp) You will be impressed with either one.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Sent ya a PM

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Type R, I love the coastal, but I believe the knobs are riveted onto the handle.
Don't see why you wouldn't want more drag, and a carbon fiber handle, unless the difference in price or gear ratio is an issue.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Type R, I love the coastal, but I believe the knobs are riveted onto the handle.
Don't see why you wouldn't want more drag, and a carbon fiber handle, unless the difference in price or gear ratio is an issue.
Riveted knobs = no bearings = less prone to rust.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Redfish, yes I was thinking Dobyns Champ. Capt, PM sent back.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Type R, I love the coastal, but I believe the knobs are riveted onto the handle.
I got my boy at HawgTech for the handle.

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishwhittler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Wow, guess the Tatula and T3B must really have made an impression on you. :mrgreen:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Fishwhittler wrote:Wow, guess the Tatula and T3B must really have made an impression on you. :mrgreen:
Haha. Right. I have enough Shimanos, need to get them Daiwas in.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I have heard that the gears that drive the worm shaft assembly are made out of metal instead of plastic, is this true?
here's a pic of the wormshaft gear from the TT zillion review (http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillionpg3.html):

looks like brass to me

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:41 am

21farms wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:I have heard that the gears that drive the worm shaft assembly are made out of metal instead of plastic, is this true?
here's a pic of the wormshaft gear from the TT zillion review (http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillionpg3.html):

looks like brass to me
Cool, thanks. Looks like ones brass and the other is plastic. OK.

Fishwhittler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishwhittler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:07 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
21farms wrote:

looks like brass to me
Cool, thanks. Looks like ones brass and the other is plastic. OK.
I think I've heard somewhere that the black gear is aluminum. Could be wrong.