Frog Reel help

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Frog Reel help

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 pm

I usually have most of the info I need but Im lost on a good frog reel. In the past I had a Zillion all tricked out with bearings etc. and sold it because of the weight. Now Im wondering if that's just the way it is when looking for something super durable for frogging. Im looking at another D7, Metanium XG, Metanium MG7, or other suggestions. Cost isn't a factor but I'm no longer into cool reels, just reels that work. In a nutshell Im hoping to find the lightest reel that's bomb proof for throwing frogs. Thanks

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Frog Reel help

Post by tywithay » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:56 pm

The Metanium XG would be the bees knees for frogs. The Steez 100XS a mean machine as well. Both are very light and either would do good by you and last a long time.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 am

Steez is out. I've owned more than my share and I've been disappointed to say the least. I have an XG but Im not sure its a durable enough reel to handle Frog duties. Im not saying it cant, I just haven't tried it. I was kind of leaning towards the Metanium MG7 or Core 100 MG7 can anyone weigh in on these for frogging?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 am

Tatula R

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:22 am

Metanium XG handles frog duties fine. Fished one all season with no ill effects. Was still smooth the day I sold it

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 am

Lucky1 wrote:Steez is out. I've owned more than my share and I've been disappointed to say the least. I have an XG but Im not sure its a durable enough reel to handle Frog duties. Im not saying it cant, I just haven't tried it. I was kind of leaning towards the Metanium MG7 or Core 100 MG7 can anyone weigh in on these for frogging?
\:D/ =D> Core 100Mg7 =D> \:D/

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

Uh, Oh! Now how to decide. I will probably go with the XG. I need one already so I might as well grab two. \:D/ I have wanted a Core 100mg7 for a while as well so I may pick one up just to try it. I guess I will let everyone know the results come spring. lol I don't know anything about Daiwas new lineup but I feel the Zillion was the only thing in the past that was worth using for frogging. I would still like to hear others comments regarding frog reels. thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:10 am

Lucky1 wrote:Uh, Oh! Now how to decide. I will probably go with the XG. I need one already so I might as well grab two. \:D/ I have wanted a Core 100mg7 for a while as well so I may pick one up just to try it. I guess I will let everyone know the results come spring. lol I don't know anything about Daiwas new lineup but I feel the Zillion was the only thing in the past that was worth using for frogging. I would still like to hear others comments regarding frog reels. thanks
If you want a lighter Zillion, you will have to consider a high speed JDM J Dream Edtn. For me, even in Shimano's line-up, I prefer a heavier build. Many say the CL DC is the best Shimano frog reel, I would also put the Exsence DC up there as well as the New Antares.

Good luck!

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:11 am

When you threw in the w8 ringer, you eliminated the best frog reel there is: Calais DC7. ;)

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:18 am

mhood wrote:When you threw in the w8 ringer, you eliminated the best frog reel there is: Calais DC7. ;)
I think a lot of folks would argue with you that the Excense DC has unseated the Calais.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 am

A lot of people up here are actually using the CH150 CI4+ chronarch for Frogging.

I knwo the owner of our local shop used it all last year with no issues on his frog rod and it cast a frog further than I expected.

I have no experience with the XG but I have a Core 100MGFV. It works great for frogs as well. I love this reel and don't know why they discontinued it...

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 am

tywithay wrote:
mhood wrote:When you threw in the w8 ringer, you eliminated the best frog reel there is: Calais DC7. ;)
I think a lot of folks would argue with you that the Excense DC has unseated the Calais.
Take your pick. Both are outstanding for frogs. Will test out the Antares 100hg later this spring. ( I anticipate it will be good too )

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 am

Try out the Metanium XG since you already have one. It gets close to my Exsence DC in casting distance.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:16 am

Are you sure you dont want something super cool?

A Curado is proven and I'm willing to bet a G series would hold up fine, I don't own a G series. Curado's are proven workhorse reels. As much as everyone hates the G series, I haven't head of a failure yet or anything bad about them mechanically.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Frog Reel help

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 am

I wouldn't advise using the G for frogs... when the G is loaded and under stress it becomes jerky and is rough.

when reeling a frog fish through the slop, you put the reel under serious load.

personally, I'd go with the "D" or "E".

both rock solid. if you can find the "D" and want to "burn" the frogs, use the DSV version. If you're like me, and don't "burn" frogs, use the DPV version.
Last edited by SteveSchmelzle on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.