Held the new Curado 200I (HG) today...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Held the new Curado 200I (HG) today...

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:50 am

I was able to get my hands on a new Curado today and must say that I really was truly impressed. The ergonomics are spot on for my hands and the gearbox hangs no where near as low at the generation 3 Revo reels (love my gen. 1 and 2's). I actually like the reel better than the ci4 Chronarch after my initial impression. The color is awesome, the star drag is a clicking type and the reel just feels solid with virtually no play in the handle. If I needed another reel, I would be buying the Curado and that is after Shimano lost me a bit with the last few Curado variations. Shimano by far has their best version in this series with these new I (HG) models. I bet with the new IMX, Shimano-Loomis will sell quite a few...

I still may find a reason in the near future to buy another reel...I am sure I can find an excuse! :D

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Held the new Curado 200I (HG) today...

Post by StarTzar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 am

Big-Bass wrote:I was able to get my hands on a new Curado today and must say that I really was truly impressed. The ergonomics are spot on for my hands and the gearbox hangs no where near as low at the generation 3 Revo reels (love my gen. 1 and 2's). I actually like the reel better than the ci4 Chronarch after my initial impression. The color is awesome, the star drag is a clicking type and the reel just feels solid with virtually no play in the handle. If I needed another reel, I would be buying the Curado and that is after Shimano lost me a bit with the last few Curado variations. Shimano by far has their best version in this series with these new I (HG) models. I bet with the new IMX, Shimano-Loomis will sell quite a few...

I still may find a reason in the near future to buy another reel...I am sure I can find an excuse! :D
How does it compare to the ergonomics of the Revo Premier Gen 2.
Does it palm similarly to the Revo Gen 2 ?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 am

So many ci4+'s are going to be on sale in the classifieds after the curado I starts spreading. :lol:

What's not to love about the curado?
It has a new spool design, aluminum frame, and swinging sideplate/escape hatch. It also has the same sideplate release switch and brake adjustment dial as the met and antares.

The ci4+ has a detaching sideplate, old spool design (probably not much different anyway), carbon/graphite frame + sideplates (some don't like this), and a sideplate with a dial that is an easy entrance for water and other things. It also has a little bump where the dial is.

For me, it is a no brainer between the 2 -- curado I. I don't care about the extra weight. I care about the $$$ savings and the Al frame feel that I prefer. :big grin:

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 am

Afrayedknot wrote:So many ci4+'s are going to be on sale in the classifieds after the curado I starts spreading. :lol:

It has a new spool design, aluminum frame, and swinging sideplate/escape hatch. It also has the same sideplate release switch and brake adjustment dial as the met and antares.

The ci4+ has a detaching sideplate, old spool design (probably not much different anyway), carbon/graphite frame + sideplates (some don't like this), and a sideplate with a dial that is an easy entrance for water and other things. It also has a little bump where the dial is.

For me, it is a no brainer between the 2 -- curado I. I don't care about the extra weight. I care about the $$$ savings and the Al frame feel that I prefer. :big grin:
I think the CI4+ still has its place. It will likely perform much better with the lighter baits than the Curado. The spool is lighter and shallower. I still like the idea of a made in Japan reel too. I will definitely pick up a Curado or two, but I won't be getting rid of my CI4+ anytime soon. It's slowly becoming one of my favorite reels (until I get my SS SV, then who knows).

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 am

StarTzar wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:I was able to get my hands on a new Curado today and must say that I really was truly impressed. The ergonomics are spot on for my hands and the gearbox hangs no where near as low at the generation 3 Revo reels (love my gen. 1 and 2's). I actually like the reel better than the ci4 Chronarch after my initial impression. The color is awesome, the star drag is a clicking type and the reel just feels solid with virtually no play in the handle. If I needed another reel, I would be buying the Curado and that is after Shimano lost me a bit with the last few Curado variations. Shimano by far has their best version in this series with these new I (HG) models. I bet with the new IMX, Shimano-Loomis will sell quite a few...

How does it compare to the ergonomics of the Revo Premier Gen 2.
Does it palm similarly to the Revo Gen 2 ?
To be honest, the palmability is unique and I like it. It definitely feels comfortable like the gen 2 revo's, but has a flatter profile up top if that makes sense. Again, that is for my hands so to each their own. I should have bought the reel yesterday but I have some cabelas credit I may use on one when they come back in stock.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:15 am

Ahhh, finally, the true CU B/D prodigy has come to us.... 8-)

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 am

Big-Bass wrote: To be honest, the palmability is unique and I like it. It definitely feels comfortable like the gen 2 revo's, but has a flatter profile up top if that makes sense. Again, that is for my hands so to each their own. I should have bought the reel yesterday but I have some cabelas credit I may use on one when they come back in stock.
I get what you are saying about the flatter profile and it does make sense to me.
I'll give it a closer look next time I'm in my favorite tackle store.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:04 am

tywithay wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:So many ci4+'s are going to be on sale in the classifieds after the curado I starts spreading. :lol:

I think the CI4+ still has its place. It will likely perform much better with the lighter baits than the Curado. The spool is lighter and shallower. I still like the idea of a made in Japan reel too. I will definitely pick up a Curado or two, but I won't be getting rid of my CI4+ anytime soon. It's slowly becoming one of my favorite reels (until I get my SS SV, then who knows).
I agree, CI4+ will not be going anywhere. Will be adding a few Curado I but also more CI4. These "problems" being speculated on are no issue, haven't felt a bump around the dial and no water seems to get through there, even if it did it wouldnt cause problems.
New Curado looks very nice in all categories so far, especially price. Hope to see some reviews soon.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 am

The JDM chronarch says it has the S3D spool design but it looks the same to me.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:19 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
tywithay wrote:

I agree, CI4+ will not be going anywhere. Will be adding a few Curado I but also more CI4. These "problems" being speculated on are no issue, haven't felt a bump around the dial and no water seems to get through there, even if it did it wouldnt cause problems.
New Curado looks very nice in all categories so far, especially price. Hope to see some reviews soon.
I agree. I can't feel the dial at all when I am palming the reel. After fishing a while, I forget it's even there. I have casted several different baits and haven't adjusted it at all yet.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37 am

JBcrankaddict wrote: I agree, CI4+ will not be going anywhere. Will be adding a few Curado I but also more CI4. These "problems" being speculated on are no issue, haven't felt a bump around the dial and no water seems to get through there, even if it did it wouldnt cause problems.
I didn't call them problems and I agree, the ci4+ wont be going anywhere. Just minor design differences. I prefer a smooth sideplate with nothing extruding, so I like the curado's sideplate design more. I will be going for curado I's instead of ci4+ because I like the feel of Al and the escape hatch. Oh, and it costs 100 dollars less. 8-)

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 pm

The Curado E is still my favorite. Love the sideplate access and and the reel in general. When they improve on that model I'll buy a couple.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 pm

dragon1 wrote:Ahhh, finally, the true CU B/D prodigy has come to us.... 8-)
Not to sound like a smart-ass, but do you mean "progeny"?

I haven't fished either of those models, but I am still intrigued by this reel as a multitasking workhorse.

Bartek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bartek » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 am

Does anybody know where the new Curado is made?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 am

Bartek wrote:Does anybody know where the new Curado is made?
Malaysia