How small Will Reels Get?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: How small Will Reels Get?

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:39 am

At what point will the gear material not be strong enough? If the main gear is smaller in overall diameter, the pinion gear would have to be smaller to maintain the same gear ratios.
The smaller the gears, the finer the teeth have to be to maintain smoothness and to reduce wear. Will there be a finite limit to gear tooth size before they have to go to really exotic metals to make them hold up?

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:16 am

I dunno.

smaller, lighter, faster, stronger...these traits may or may not always translate to "better" but, they do translate to "improved" and "improved" is just one more way of gaining market share.

as I've stated before...this is how we wind up with '58 chevy's after we've tasted the 57's.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:35 am

brokeneye wrote:I dunno.

smaller, lighter, faster, stronger...these traits may or may not always translate to "better" but, they do translate to "improved" and "improved" is just one more way of gaining market share.

as I've stated before...this is how we wind up with '58 chevy's after we've tasted the 57's.
And that was progress? :lol: :lol: :lol:

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 am

mark poulson wrote:

no...far from it.

point being how long do you think it will be before shimano "improves" the mbr783 glx until it is no longer the mbr783 glx.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 am

brokeneye wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

no...far from it.

point being how long do you think it will be before shimano "improves" the mbr783 glx until it is no longer the mbr783 glx.

I agree, and that's what I thought you were saying. But they have to do something to get new sales, or they'll go broke.
Personally, I'm thrilled with the rods and reels I have now, and I did upgrade from the Quantum Energies I had 10+ years ago. I was hoping for, and got, reels that threw lighter stuff better, although I still have my Chronarch MG50's on my really light stuff.
But, in their quest to make their reels lighter, Quantum went away from the externally adjustable brakes, and that was something they should have kept.
Of course, having owned a '58 Impala, I would much rather have had a '57 Bel Aire!

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:29 am

i've been thinking more about this question and had an epiphany of sorts regarding the conquest when i looked at it from this angle
the palm sideplate (the left side of this reel) that hangs down does nothing except keep the reel round-looking. here's another angle
as you can see, there's a lot of wasted space there...no gears, no attachment hardpoints, nothing. so, as far as the palm-side goes on round reels like this, they can easily get smaller and, apparently, that's what shimano did with the 14conquests. but, like i said before, the handle-side is a whole 'nother story.

Yetti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Yetti » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 am

My pops bought a lews super duty, that thing is tiny. I was thinking the size if a bb1 frame but I was wrong !

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 am

Yetti wrote:My pops bought a lews super duty, that thing is tiny. I was thinking the size if a bb1 frame but I was wrong !
Yup those lew reels are very small. I was shocked when I first used the tournament pro.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Assuming that the issue of durability isn't a problem, will the actual material not used represent a significant enough saving to make the more intricate manufacturing involved worth while, or is this all just a gimmick, a smaller/lighter marketing ploy?

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:49 pm

mark poulson wrote:Assuming that the issue of durability isn't a problem, will the actual material not used represent a significant enough saving to make the more intricate manufacturing involved worth while, or is this all just a gimmick, a smaller/lighter marketing ploy?
My experience using the Conquest models I would have to disagree. The old 101 weighs 226.8g/8.0 oz., the new 101 weighs 215g/7.58 oz. and is smaller in size as far as the the non handle side which is where I hold mine when mounted on a rod. It has X ship (an additional bearing), SVS infinite brakes, micro gears & S3D spool where’s the gimmick/marketing ploy! I see it as a win win win I am so looking forward to the new generation of the Conquest. \:D/

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:09 am

For saltwater theyve released the Avet sxj which is suprisingly durable and reliable just as the avet sx. Its amazing how something so small can perform against bigger reels. I guess its about proving the inevitable with these small reels

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:02 pm

f15h1n6 wrote:For saltwater theyve released the Avet sxj which is suprisingly durable and reliable just as the avet sx. Its amazing how something so small can perform against bigger reels. I guess its about proving the inevitable with these small reels
Most of today's "smaller reels", have been shrunk down in overall exterior/body size...their guts/main gear, have not necessarily been downsized, and in many cases of the "oversized main gear" or "HEG", it has actually grown. Lighter material also give a feeling of "smaller" in a sense.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:23 pm

I've been begging for a Stella 500 for a decade now...

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am

21farms wrote:i've been thinking more about this question and had an epiphany of sorts regarding the conquest when i looked at it from this angle
the palm sideplate (the left side of this reel) that hangs down does nothing except keep the reel round-looking. here's another angle
as you can see, there's a lot of wasted space there...no gears, no attachment hardpoints, nothing. so, as far as the palm-side goes on round reels like this, they can easily get smaller and, apparently, that's what shimano did with the 14conquests. but, like i said before, the handle-side is a whole 'nother story.
I'm waiting to see the 2015 50 size CQ. If they taper the palm side like they have done with 100 and 200 size reels, then the 50 should feel down right miniscule in hand. \:D/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:26 am

lpquick wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Assuming that the issue of durability isn't a problem, will the actual material not used represent a significant enough saving to make the more intricate manufacturing involved worth while, or is this all just a gimmick, a smaller/lighter marketing ploy?
My experience using the Conquest models I would have to disagree. The old 101 weighs 226.8g/8.0 oz., the new 101 weighs 215g/7.58 oz. and is smaller in size as far as the the non handle side which is where I hold mine when mounted on a rod. It has X ship (an additional bearing), SVS infinite brakes, micro gears & S3D spool where’s the gimmick/marketing ploy! I see it as a win win win I am so looking forward to the new generation of the Conquest. \:D/
I wasn't saying it's all a gimmick. I was asking whether the benefits of lighter are really worth the additional manuf. and engineering expense, or whether this smaller-is-better is just what reel manufs. feel they have to do to "keep up".