How small Will Reels Get?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How small Will Reels Get?

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:04 am

mhood wrote:I've been begging for a Stella 500 for a decade now...
A JDM 1000C would work as well, eh, Marc?
USA-RET wrote:I'm waiting to see the 2015 50 size CQ. If they taper the palm side like they have done with 100 and 200 size reels, then the 50 should feel down right miniscule in hand. \:D/
Personally, I don't want to "palm" a diameter much smaller than a 50 sized CT or CQ.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:12 am

dragon1 wrote:
I've got a Twin Power 1000 and a Laguna 500. I've heard all the reasons why a 500 is too small. I still want one for UL with the thinnest braid. There's a huge difference between what one needs and what one wants... :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 am

mhood wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
I've got a Twin Power 1000 and a Laguna 500. I've heard all the reasons why a 500 is too small. I still want one for UL with the thinnest braid. There's a huge difference between what one needs and what one wants... :lol:
Amen!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 am

dragon1 wrote:
f15h1n6 wrote:For saltwater theyve released the Avet sxj which is suprisingly durable and reliable just as the avet sx. Its amazing how something so small can perform against bigger reels. I guess its about proving the inevitable with these small reels
Most of today's "smaller reels", have been shrunk down in overall exterior/body size...their guts/main gear, have not necessarily been downsized, and in many cases of the "oversized main gear" or "HEG", it has actually grown. Lighter material also give a feeling of "smaller" in a sense.
Very true. I guess its just the spool size that makes the difference in size. From what I've seen for calcuttas, the width of the reel is expanded by the width of the spool but almost every side plate is about equal in size. I guess its just the size of the reel that amazes me when it performs just as well as a bigger model in the series.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:06 am

Reels can't get too light... sensitivity is primarily stiffness-to-weight ratio, so lighter is always better. Plus, light weight reduces fatigue.

Balance may not be as important as you think... due to momentum, as soon as you start moving the rod, balance becomes a non-issue.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:51 am

That's been my experience, too.

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:41 am

I guess you can make them as small as the spool will allow. The only way to make them smaller is to make the spool wider. I personally love my core 51's. After a 15hr day the light weight and small size help me fish the same way from AM to PM.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Snyder Rods wrote:Reels can't get too light... sensitivity is primarily stiffness-to-weight ratio, so lighter is always better. Plus, light weight reduces fatigue.

Balance may not be as important as you think... due to momentum, as soon as you start moving the rod, balance becomes a non-issue.
Yes they can...

Not only to balance out longer/tip-heavy rods, but for throwing heavier rigs, a tight casting motion depends on rod torque centered at the reel on the rod...a heavier reel centering on a tight cast that is small-circle/torque based will help to cast a heavier swimbait better. I can attest that my TDZ feels completely unable to cast as well on a heavy swimbait type rod, especially the heavier lures, vs a heavier reel. There is not enough weight from the 6.2oz when I small-circle hip-torque a cast with a 3-4oz + lure.

Otherwise, a sub 4oz musky reel or swimbait reel on a heavy powered 8'0" stick would not help the overall combo as well as a typical 300-400 sized swimbait or big fish reel. Additionally, a heavy reel is needed for certain SW techs and bait fishing as it will help keep the rod butt down on a heavy fight and during lifting.

IMHO.