How small Will Reels Get?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How small Will Reels Get?

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Reels seem to be getting smaller and smaller by the years. Round reels of today such as the conquests are the size of, or smaller than low profile reels from 10 years ago. The Aldebaran BFS XG also comes to mind as well when thinking of small reels. How much smaller do you think reels will get? Will the round reels of the future have the diameter/size of the low profiles today? Will the low profiles of the future be so small that they can fit in the palm of our hand?

Along with this smaller size comes less weight as well. Recently, the under 5 oz mark has been broken by the MGXtreme (may have been broken before, not sure). It amazes me how much lighter these reels keep getting.

Tell me what you think. :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How small Will Reels Get?

Post by dragon1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Depends on how sissy this generation and the next will become... :roll:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm happy with tr current size and weights of reels. Hard to balance a sub 5 oz reel sometimes.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm

I dont know if they will get much smaller or lighter. The new reels are about as small as they can get and still have decent line capacity or drag performance and still balance well. I use mostly Shimano products, mainly Cores, and these are about as small and light as I dare to go. But I was at a show this weekend and put my hands on a Okuma Helios Air and it is small and light too,so the trend might go on.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:01 pm

i dont think they can get much smaller...line capacity will be an issue.....

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm

MRQturbo wrote:i dont think they can get much smaller...line capacity will be an issue.....
i think that could be challenged if braid is developed further. i keep waiting for someone to really crack the sinking braid code. spiderwire has 1 (that didn't really impress me much) and i just got in some of the tuf-line hevicore to try out. if they can come up with a braid that does actually have a sink rate like fc, but is 6-10# diameter/20-30# strength, then that could change. i know it's quite possible now to do this with standard braid, but i've never cared much for using it in anything past about 4-5 foot of water.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

dragon1 wrote:Depends on how sissy this generation and the next will become... :roll:
I wonder if 6 oz reels will be a new standard. :lol: Imagine people turning away from a reel because it weighs over 7 oz.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 am

Maybe this small :?:

Don't forget your pocket protector :lol:
Attachments
Pocket fisherman_TT.jpg
Pocket fisherman_TT.jpg (67.69 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:19 am

Reels used to be smaller before the addition of star drag systems to bass sized casting reels. 100 years ago 25 yd reels were common (of course they didn't cast much then). When we fought bass sized fish using our thumbs and didn't waterski them and throw them into the boat we didn't need Mg to make them light. The addition of all the cast controls and drags increased the weight. Take a look at some WWII era Langley reels. They had ventilated aluminum narrow spools and weighed in the 5 oz range.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:51 am

The battle will not be for overall size/weight, but rather, IMO:

- Best marketing, ie, which "pro" will be endorsing, etc.

- Best pricing per badged OEM product offering.

- What is the "latest and greatest" for material, performance, design, etc., essentially the same as marketing.

- How much can the other "brands" take down the market share of the Big Three, Shimano, Daiwa and Abu (granted lots of Abu's offerings are now OEM).

- Which brands can get their products and reps into large retail outlets.

- Recruiting of new to the sport/younger buyers will be essential...that is what makes the hype of a Duckett rod (in example only), a successful selling product in the market place.

Size, weight, performance, unless one goes high-end JDM aftermarket, or has the desire to have someone like Ian tune it...has already been reached for many years to come, IMO.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 am

I would have thought that the size of the gears would be the limiting factor. "It's a matter of leverage", according to Captn. Jack Sparrow. :lol:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:52 am

yeah, i too wonder. when i got my conquest 50, i was already surprised at how tiny it was.

and, then i saw that the new conquest 100A will have a palm sideplate 3mm smaller than my 50?! and, then, there will be a new, presumably even smaller, conquest 50A in 2015?!? wow

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:07 am

21farms wrote:yeah, i too wonder. when i got my conquest 50, i was already surprised at how tiny it was.

and, then i saw that the new conquest 100A will have a palm sideplate 3mm smaller than my 50?! and, then, there will be a new, presumably even smaller, conquest 50A in 2015?!? wow
I think you mean 3mm smaller than the current 100/101 (pre 2014 model). I don’t remember ever seeing the new 100/101 being compared or measured versus the current 50/51.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 am

For me the Pixy and 50 size Shimanos are as small as I would like to go. Any smaller and I don't think that it would be comfortable to use.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 am

lpquick wrote:I think you mean 3mm smaller than the current 100/101 (pre 2014 model). I don’t remember ever seeing the new 100/101 being compared or measured versus the current 50/51.
actually, that's what's so shocking about it. the current conquest 50/51 swinging sideplates are 48mm in diameter while the current 100/101's are 52mm. from the comparison shot posted by fishonmag, it looks like the 2014 conquest 100/101's are 45mm (7mm smaller than the current 100 and 3mm smaller than the current 50). of course, the handle side will be a different story altogether. plus, how low or high they sit on the reel seat will probably be different as well.