Curado 200i pics next to Ch/Met 100 Platform

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 200i pics next to Ch/Met 100 Platform

Post by lape0019 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:03 am

I agree that the styling is kind of bold compared to the smoothness of other reels but I don't think it is enough to stop me from buying one. The only line that I really cannot stand is where the sideplates meet the frame.

I much prefer the lines on the CI4+ but at almost $100.00 less (up here in Canada), I think I can deal with a few bad lines if the reel lives up to all of this hype.

Adam

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 am

I had the opportunity to fish the Curado I this afternoon for the first time. To put it mildly, it lives up to the hype. The casting distance is excellent. The only reel I have that would compare would be the DC, I think. The reel has a solid feel, and it is exceptionally smooth, on everything from the thumb bar to retrieve. I have never used a smoother reel on retrieve; it is also apparent on retrieve that this is a strong reel.

There is a light indent I hadn’t noticed at each of the numbers (1-6) on the brake dial. It is very light, and the dial basically has to be slowly adjusted to a specific number for it to set. Otherwise, the indent isn’t noticeable and the dial will zip right on by the number. The indent will hold the dial in place a bit better, though it isn't really necessary--by it's placement on the front of the reel, the dial isn't likely to get accidently moved. As for appearance, the reel looks terrific on a rod, and I think performance and not the styling will be the focus for most on the water. The reel is comfortable and easy to palm.

IMHO, Shimano has hit a home run with this reel.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:23 am

Great report Buster. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:18 am

JDLaman wrote:Great report Buster. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.
I am as well but I still have quite a wait ahead because I need lefties and they won't be available until the beginning of April :(

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 am

i agree with buster i really like the aluminum feel and i can tell it is going to be a strong reel i didnt catch anything on it today just casted around but i really like it. I like how the lines flow on my ci4 chronarch better but thats just a cosmetic thing the curado looks great i just dont like the left side plate lol. i got the 6:3 ratio im curious how the 5:1 feels.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 am

I would note that the SVS Infinity system on the USDM Curado I and the JDM Scorpion 200/201, Japan model 2014, might differ. The brake dial on the Curado I is numbered at equal intervals, from 1-6. As shown in the link below, the JDM version is “20 level adjustable from outside”. Each reel has four weights. It’s not clear whether this means there are five settings on the JDM version that can be used with the possible number of weight settings (4) or twenty settings regardless of the number of ‘on’ weights. Either way, the math does not work with a dial numbered 1-6. It would seem either the numbering on the JDM brake dial is different or its SVS system has a different range than the USDM reel. I wonder whether the range is wider, from high to low, on the USDM reel. I’ve read elsewhere that the only difference between the two versions of the reel is that the JDM reel has bearings in the handle knobs and a Ti insert. Perhaps there is an explanation and the systems are identical. I don’t know.

Beyond that, the number of possible settings on the USDM version is infinite (in theory anyway) regardless of the number of ‘on’ weights, and its brake dial is neither marked for nor limited to “20 level adjustable”.

http://japantackle.com/Shimano/Shimano_Scorpion2014.htm

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 am

Jeff,

Sorry I missed you at the convention center. Robby told me you came by earlier that day. I hope the reel meets your expectations. When we spoke last I couldn't exactly tell you what was coming. Thanks for all the comparison pics. I'm sure this will help those that haven't had a chance to feel one yet.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:17 am

My comment above about the SVS system certainly doesn’t alter my perception of the Curado I. It is a terrific reel, IMHO, and I wouldn’t want to change a thing on it. The SVS was just something I was curious about. But it doesn’t matter to me one bit. I’ve used the reel the last four days in varying conditions and situations. The Curado I is simply outstanding.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:45 am

Bantam1 wrote:Jeff,

Sorry I missed you at the convention center. Robby told me you came by earlier that day. I hope the reel meets your expectations. When we spoke last I couldn't exactly tell you what was coming. Thanks for all the comparison pics. I'm sure this will help those that haven't had a chance to feel one yet.
From what I gather you needed a clone running around in Birmingham to help you out ... :lol:

I had a chance to fish the 6 gear for a couple hours today.
Didnt tie into anything of size but did get to chunk Little John MD's and a Rapala DT-10 on a Cumara (Gen 1) 7' Heavy Mod Fast spooled with 15 mono for ripping tops of grass near creek channels.

I usually give a reel several outings and a break in period before passing judgement ...

Long story short ... I hate to say this early but this thing rocks !

Its a casting machine once you get it dialed in ! Even though not overly large plugs the X-Ship seems to be the real deal on keeping thigs running smooth !

Is this a Antares replacement ... probably not. I'm keeping in mind the price point and a open mind. At $179 the reel seems to pack a big punch and offers a whole lot !

It has me thinking this may be the best Curado to date ! :shock: