Curad I

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curad I

Post by Revofisher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:27 am

hey guys just picked up the I today at bass pro. The bass pro in sevierville TN had around 10 of them might still be some there if anyone is close by. Everyone seemed to be jumping on the ugly stick train this morning and by passed the curados. They let me do a reel trade in which was unexpected because shimano used to not participate in that so my total for the reel was 170.00 after buying a 5.00 reel to donate. im going to spool it up and go fish it for a while ill write my intial impressions when i get back.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curad I

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 am

I called that store and the fishing rep didn't know anything about them :roll: just shows how knowledgeable some of these guys are.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 am

When retail sporting goods companies pay the same or less as McDonald's, just how knowledgable do you expect their staff to be? Even department managers are making peanuts.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:39 am

NCbigbass wrote:When retail sporting goods companies pay the same or less as McDonald's, just how knowledgable do you expect their staff to be? Even department managers are making peanuts.
At my local BPS the same guys have been there in the fishing dept for at least 2 years or more, so apparently the pay isn't that bad.

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:55 am

i called last week when they were debuted and my basspro still didn't have them in... just gonna go check today for the heck of it and hope that it was just a newb employee that i spoke with. a lot of them think that we're asking about the curado G that is going on sale.. lol... definately not it! lol... but seriously, you expect guys to be knowledgable about their departments :doh:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:50 am

there was an actual shimano rep there today so he was pretty helpful this time lol. Like you guys are saying i have had numerous encounters with the ones that know nothing it seems they are paid to be there i guess.

Overall i really like the curado though seems like it is going to be a good one for sure. I put it on a crucial i had laying around and tossed mostly rattle traps, jerkbaits, and a chatterbait around cove lake. i really didnt get to cast anything on the lighter side of the spectrum but 1/2 oz baits where getting way out there didnt think to measure the distance though. I kept the two brakes on and just used the cast control knob and svs dial knob for casting. with the two brakes on i was able to put the dial to 0 and had no problems what so ever so i know there is more casting distance to be had in the reel. They palm excellent i have to say. I hate to say it but i like the aluminum more than my ci4 chronarch lol. Im 6,6 and have huge hands so it works well for me on palmability if that is even a word. Reel is very smooth as well right there with the ci4 chronarch imo

the only thing i didnt like was the svs dial in the fact it does not click like the ci4 chronarch, but thats just me being picky. I cant really say thats bad to be honest because my met 13 does not click as well. What i really like about the curado though is the side plate which stays on when opened compared to the ci4 and met 13. I think you guys will like it a lot i can tell it is going to be a great workhorse reel. i know the ci4 and met13 will outcast it on the lighter baits but when you get up in lure weight this thing will hang right in there.

NCbigbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NCbigbass » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 am

So I walk into the local Dick's Sporting Goods today, and heres how the conversation goes with the lodge guy.

Me: "You get any of the new Curados in yet?"

Him: He looks up at the gun wall, ponders a second, and says, "No, a lot of the new guns haven't come in yet"

Me: "The Shimano Curado reel. Its a reel. Have you gotten in any new reels?"

Him: "No just camping stuff so far"

And I walked out. Don't think I will bother even stopping in next time. Amazing.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 am

NCbigbass wrote:So I walk into the local Dick's Sporting Goods today, and heres how the conversation goes with the lodge guy.

Me: "You get any of the new Curados in yet?"

Him: He looks up at the gun wall, ponders a second, and says, "No, a lot of the new guns haven't come in yet"

Me: "The Shimano Curado reel. Its a reel. Have you gotten in any new reels?"

Him: "No just camping stuff so far"

And I walked out. Don't think I will bother even stopping in next time. Amazing.
One time I called an academy store asking if they had any zillion type R's left and they transferred me to the clothing/apparel section. :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
NCbigbass wrote:When retail sporting goods companies pay the same or less as McDonald's, just how knowledgable do you expect their staff to be? Even department managers are making peanuts.
At my local BPS the same guys have been there in the fishing dept for at least 2 years or more, so apparently the pay isn't that bad.
I talked to a couple of the fishing dept. people at my BPS, and they said they had to take second jobs to help make ends meet.
Low pay, part time jobs, where the companies don't pay benefits, throws the burden of paying for services, like roads, police, fire, and health care, back on the rest of us, the taxpayers, so we are subsidizing BPS, and Walmart.
That sucks.