Spinning reels: high end versus lower end

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Spinning reels: high end versus lower end

Post by Backlash Picker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:07 am

My first spinning reel was a higher end model, Shimano Stradic (for about $140 at the time) and then I bought a couple lower end ones, Pflueger Trions (for about $40). Honestly, when I'm out on the lake, I really don't notice a big difference in how well the reels work. My casting distance is about the same; the drags (which hardly ever get a work out) both work efficiently, and with braid I'm not bothered by loops or other line management issues on either reels. Both have been durable.

Now with my baitcasters, I stick to medium priced models ($150-200) and I think I get better casts with better reels. But I don't see what the extra money buys me with higher end spinning reels (except, perhaps, somewhat less weight).

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reels: high end versus lower end

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am

With bass fishing and expensive spinning gear, I could only see the need if you are using UL-L with 4lb line. Other than finesse, I do not see the need for expensive spin gear. I like my budget Twin Power reels just fine and the only upgrades I did was Hedgehog Studio dual bearing line roller, cork knobs, and carbontex drag.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:46 am

thats what i had found as well i used to have some abu soron spinning reels then went to shimano and only thing i saw the shimano did cast a bit further than the abu with the same weights, rod, and line. i have also had the stradic fj before and it didnt really blow me away, but it was tough as nails i had it on a dx 702 spinning rod with 6 lb test and landed tons of striper on that set up with small spro hair jigs so the drag was nice. i recently bought a sustain fg and i can tell the difference there not as much noise as the stratic fj or saros, and a lot smoother as well. I would think in spinning reels you might not see a huge gap in performance until you almost get to the high end spectrum but ive never owned a true high end spinning reel like the stella, megabass, ect... some of these guys could chime in on those im sure they would have better knowledge. there was a thread not to long ago with the op saying he really couldnt tell the difference in his sustain and stella so i dont know.

all the guys i usually fish with wont spend over 100 bucks on a spinning reel lol.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:49 am

With spinning reels there isn't much difference in casting ability from low to high end. As far as retrieve performance and smoothness when new allot of of $40 to $60 reels will feel about as smooth as a high end reel brand new. But the difference comes after a season or two of use. All my lower end spinning reels feel allot less smooth after significant use even when cleaned and some have had issues with breakage. But my mid high end Stradic and Stradic CL reels stay just as smooth as new after years of use as well as having more retrieve power. And with some high end models you also get good weight reduction as well.

So I still think its worth it go at least get a mid high end reel since its less expensive than replacing a low end one every season or two and has a little better performance to.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:32 am

I don't like spending a lot of spinning reels for the exact reasons posted but I do have certain criteria that I have to have which usually puts the reels around the $100 dollar mark. I want the reel to have an aluminum body and a good drag, weight isn't as critical as casting reels but they still should be under 10 ounces. The best deals I have found were the old Daiwa made Cabelas Tournament ZX reels, basically a Tierra but when they got discontinued I got one for $40 and had I know how good it was I would have bought 4 more but they were gone quickly. Okuma Inspira, this reel is built like a tank and was $110 until it was discontinued and I grabbed one for $40 also. You can get decent spinning gear if you don't mind discontinued models but for the amount I use it I rather not spend a lot but it has to be something that will last. That is the biggest difference between dirt cheap spinning and good spinning, the better reels are going to last season after season, the dirt cheap models will quickly have gear and bearing failures.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 am

Better oscillation leads to better line lay. If you've used an old Shimano Varispeed reel compared to the newer Aerowrap II, there's a huge difference in my opinion. Much like anything else, once you get past a certain point, you're just paying for craftsmanship over performance. For spinning reels, I've found the threshold is slightly lower than with casting reels. Other things at a premium can be weight, durability, drag, etc. A lot of people using spinning reels don't catch big enough fish, or hard running fish, to truly test a reels limits. For most bass fishing, you can use an $80 reel and get by just fine without major issues. Ask the guys in the Florida catching tarpon what would happen to those same reels. That's why those guys are using Stellas and Saltigas, etc. Peace of mind, longevity, and the quality of craftsmanship to stand the test against giants.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 am

Pen3 wrote:I like my budget Twin Power reels just fine and the only upgrades I did was Hedgehog Studio dual bearing line roller, cork knobs, and carbontex drag.

Dude, that's no budget reel man. :lol: Try something under a $100 or $50 considered by some.

jigapig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigapig » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I used a daiwa tierra 2500 for years throwing wacky worms only. Great reel no problems. Then I bought a steez 2508 last year for the same application. Let me tell you. This reel blows away the Tierra. I know it was 4 times the cost. But I look at as you only go around once. I will only buy high end reels and not waste money on mid-range stuff anymore.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:35 pm

There's a lot that goes into a high-end spinning reel when compared to cheap one. A $50 reel is going to have cheap bearings, a cheap plastic frame and gears that are not super precise. A stella for example has a magnesium frame, 15 high-quality bearings and gears that have super tight tolerance. If you ever got to use one you would throw rocks at most others. I've used cheap spinning reels before & the plastic frame can flex while fighting a fish and this can ruin the gears. 10 cheap ball bearings will barely last a couple years of hard use. I'm a proud owner of a 93 sustain, it retailed for $400 back then, it’s the same as the first gen Stella in Japan. My sustain is still going strong because it has an aluminum frame that doesn't flex, high quality bearings and gears made of all Duralumin. There is hardly any plastic to found on it and it took me 20 years to wear out the gears, I finally replaced them this winter. In the same time frame that I have owed my sustain I have gone through 3-4 cheaper live bait reels because they don't hold up to big fish.
Last edited by Markanthony404 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:I'm a proud owner of a 93 sustain, it retailed for $400 back then, it’s the same as the first gen Stella in Japan. My sustain is still going strong because it has an aluminum frame that doesn't flex and high quality bearings. There is hardly any plastic to found on it and it took me 20 years to wear out the gears, I finally replaced them this winter. In the same time frame that I have owed my sustain I have gone through 3-4 cheaper live bait reels because they don't hold up to big fish.
I recall first seeing this reel at Delta Bait & Tackle in Manteca, CA...it had a double handle and the time frame was probably around 1993-1995. I thought to myself that if I ever won the lottery, that I would by a dozen of these things! :lol:

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Depends on the size of the target species. Before I went to braid I couldn't find a decent reel for less than $100 plus that had a nice worm gear oscillation system for good line lay. Now with smaller braid I don't get the line wist problems that I use to.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 pm

MaxZmus wrote:Depends on the size of the target species. Before I went to braid I couldn't find a decent reel for less than $100 plus that had a nice worm gear oscillation system for good line lay. Now with smaller braid I don't get the line wist problems that I use to.
Speaking of (near perfect) worm gear oscillation, I would love to see a new/modernized, Abu-Garcia/Swedish-made Suveran. 8-)

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

dragon1 wrote:
I recall first seeing this reel at Delta Bait & Tackle in Manteca, CA...it had a double handle and the time frame was probably around 1993-1995. I thought to myself that if I ever won the lottery, that I would by a dozen of these things! :lol:
I'm far from a lottery winner, the only reason I purchased it was Cabela's was having a clearance sale on it in there Christmas catalog of 94. I got it for $200, and that's the best $200 I have ever spent my life. Ever since then I have always bought high-quality gear. I just wish I could find another 93 sustain so I could have some spare parts. ](*,)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
I'm far from a lottery winner, the only reason I purchased it was Cabela's was having a clearance sale on it in there Christmas catalog of 94. I got it for $200, and that's the best $200 I have ever spent my life. Ever since then I have always bought high-quality gear. I just wish I could find another 93 sustain so I could have some spare parts. ](*,)
Yeah, I fear the day that I will need parts for my Tournament Z-C 1500! 8-[

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

I agree that higher end spinning reels have much better specs. But do the better specs impact actual performance, especially for the fishing I do, which is catching 3 to 5 pound bass, mixed with a bunch of 2 pounders, and fishing senkos, dropshot or shakey head mostly with the spinning gear. For these techniques I'd rather put my money into better rods, good line and good hooks. If I was using the spinning gear for salmon, which can rip off 40 yards of line in a snap, then that would be another story. Durability is a good question, but I have not worn out a cheep reel yet.

I just started buying pretty good rods (Dobyns Champion, Champion Extreme and Powell Max Glass Crank) and I really notice the difference. But I just don't notice any difference between cheep (Trion) spinning reels and my mid-high Stradic and Diawa Capricorn models.

Anyway, I'm glad this posting resulted in some thoughtful commentary and I appreciate your feedback.

Backlash