CU200i on deck ... First impression.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

CU200i on deck ... First impression.

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:23 pm

I had a chance to fish the 6 gear for a couple hours today.
Didnt tie into anything of size but did get to chunk Little John MD's and a Rapala DT-10 on a Cumara (Gen 1) 7' Heavy Mod Fast spooled with 15 mono for ripping tops of grass near creek channels.

I usually give a reel several outings and a break in period before passing judgement ...

Long story short ... I hate to say this early but this thing rocks !

Its a casting machine once you get it dialed in ! Even though not overly large plugs the X-Ship seems to be the real deal on keeping thigs running smooth !

Is this a Antares replacement ... probably not. I'm keeping in mind the price point and a open mind. At $179 the reel seems to pack a big punch and offers a whole lot. It has me thinking this may be the best Curado to date !

I know that looks, feel, and performance are all subjective ... and not everyone may feel the same. This is my opinion of the CU200i.

Your results may vary ... :lol:

Here are a couple of pics of some of the other reels I had on deck today. As you can see It had some competition to stand up against ...

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: CU200i on deck ... First impression.

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Atleast 2 sexy reels on the deck ;) Can't wait to get the curado out and for this winter to end

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Based on your experience with the reels on your deck how would you rank them for:

Distance casting 1/2 oz + baits

All around casting versatility

Reeling Performance under load

No pressure.

Thanks for sharing.

DaveJ

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Way to be impartial and represent multiple companies that make refined reels and rods. All good choices.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I have high hopes that the CU i Series will be the best yet. From everything I have read and have seen, the CU D series finally has a true legacy.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Nice gear! Id also be interested to hear the performance vs those significantly more expensive reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Nice gear! Id also be interested to hear the performance vs those significantly more expensive reels.
Casting aside, as these reels will excel with different type/size lures in my book...I want to know the torque/power comparison.

Granted you may not have put all the reels through lures with heavy resistance, from say, 1 - 3oz +?

BTW...that new design/look on the Cumara is hideous! Your D7/D5 deserves better! [-(

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 pm

thanks for the review. the last curados i owned were 100 b's, but that may change soon. the more i see and read on the i's, the more impressed i am.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Based on your experience with the reels on your deck how would you rank them for:
Dave at this point I would say even without the CU200i in the mix it would be hard to make a fair comparison between the other reels alone. They have not all shared the same rod, line, and lure weights.

Id say only because of using from 3/8 to 2 oz. on my Z200/795 combo (my Z2020/zillion 7'6" pictured) and having used braid, mono, and fluoro between them and different apps id say they are the most powerful/refined/versatile/performing reels so far I've owned. Although most would argue the size and weight and miss out on the marvel.

Not much finesse in my style of fishing ... I like my combos to be able to handle heavier in most cases if need be. Where here on Tackle Tour there is a lot of emphasis on lighter is always better. Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn, Lake Fork, and the Red River down here will break your heart if you get caught up with too light of gear. :lol:
toddmc wrote:Way to be impartial and represent multiple companies that make refined reels and rods. All good choices.
Up to a year ago I was "Branded" by one company. Im really glad I opened my mind to experience a little more of whats out there. Although my wallet would disagree ...
Bootytrain wrote:Nice gear! Id also be interested to hear the performance vs those significantly more expensive reels.
Thanks !

That reel will not be used for over 3/4 oz. in m y arsenal. I have other tools for above that weight. It was my first outing with it and I am really impressed for plugs in the 3/8 to 1/2 oz range in casting and retrieve so far. I used the reel with a open mind and knowing its price point of $179.

Im going to try and not get into Shimano vs Daiwa but will say that when compared to the following reels: The CH150 Ci4, Tatula R, CU/CH 200E and the CH100D the CU200i mat be my favorite. Can the CH100D7 throw lighter ... Maybe (spool start up speed) , is the Ci4 lighter ? yes or better for salt ? Maybe , is Tatula larger ? yes, ...

So far... for the way it palms, casts within the range tested, and the fluid feel at its price point is why im so stoked.
Im sure it will not dazzle everyone ... and that's ok. Will it be perfect for every application ... probably not.

But for a general use reel and after adding up all of its high points I find Shimano brought it with this one.
dragon1 wrote:Casting aside, as these reels will excel with different type/size lures in my book...
Bingo !
dragon1 wrote:I want to know the torque/power comparison.

Granted you may not have put all the reels through lures with heavy resistance, from say, 1 - 3oz +?
No I have not Van ... I have a tendency to grab a Z above 1 oz. resistance.
When pitching 3/4 oz. up to 1 1/2 oz. I grab a Zillion type R and If I pitch above 1 1/2 oz. back to the Z.

dragon1 wrote:BTW...that new design/look on the Cumara is hideous! Your D7/D5 deserves better! [-(
I agree ...

That rod and I have a love hate relationship. I love its action for cranks 1/2 oz. and under. I've made it past the handle and have gotten use to it. However ... I cant stand to look at it ! 8-) :lol:

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:14 am

Nice initial thoughts. The more I read the more these sound like the real deal.
I am really tempted to try one of these but I just can't justify the $209.99CAD + 13% tax = $237 price tag up here in Canada. I just feel like I could do better used for that price. Still very tempting though, been wanting to branch out to Shimano as of late.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:29 am

biggs wrote:Nice initial thoughts. The more I read the more these sound like the real deal.
I am really tempted to try one of these but I just can't justify the $209.99CAD + 13% tax = $237 price tag up here in Canada. I just feel like I could do better used for that price. Still very tempting though, been wanting to branch out to Shimano as of late.
It will be on sale in a little while. St. Patrick's day and Memorial Day are coming up.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 am

=D> Thanks for the insight =D>

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am

The second picture down is blowing my mind. The reel looks so small next to the D7 and zillion. :shock:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:49 am

Afrayedknot wrote:The second picture down is blowing my mind. The reel looks so small next to the D7 and zillion. :shock:
This may be the case...however it is also farther back in the pic.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:The second picture down is blowing my mind. The reel looks so small next to the D7 and zillion. :shock:
I didn't use my Ch100D/gen 2 cumara in this pic and grabbed the Core 100/gen 2 cumara combo for camparison ... I didn't want to make Van feel any more sorry for the reel ;) :lol: