T3 1016, any longevity issues?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SilverGambler2200
Angler
Angler

T3 1016, any longevity issues?

Post by SilverGambler2200 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:27 am

At the price that you can pick up the Daiwa T3 1016 now, I am thinking about selling some of my Curado E7's. I have been using the T3 1016 for a few months, and IMO I think the T3 is a far superior reel to the E7 Curado. My only issue is I am not sure if the T3 has any longevity issue's. What I do know is that my Curado's E7's have been work horses and have given me no problems with regular maintenance, I can say the same for the Curado D series also, no problems.

I am pretty green when it comes to Daiwa products, but what I have seen so far is impressive. Any issues with longevity with the Daiwa T3 1016???

I don't have any issues with the way the hood opens and closes personally!! Actually prefer it in pitching situations.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: T3 1016, any longevity issues?

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 am

I've had mine for almost a year and have not had any problems what so ever from it. It fact I liked mine so much I bought my son one to use and I take it out when I can! They ares weet reels!

Jeff

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:59 am

i have one of the first ones off the JDM line that had the mag dial issue( since been resolved) :whistle:
and the reel is still a beast and I just picked up another one from TW..
ZERO issues with the reel..

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 am

I got one last spring and hate it. My Zebco 33 paired with a MH Ugly Stick outcasts it all day long, and is smoother and lighter besides being 1/10 the price. I think it's because the Zebco is built out of metal and the T3 isn't. I now use the T3 only as a casting weight when I practice with my Zebco in my backyard. :strface:

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 am

smalliesteve wrote:I got one last spring and hate it. My Zebco 33 paired with a MH Ugly Stick outcasts it all day long, and is smoother and lighter besides being 1/10 the price. I think it's because the Zebco is built out of metal and the T3 isn't. I now use the T3 only as a casting weight when I practice with my Zebco in my backyard. :strface:
Perfect! fish that zebco/UgStick combo and save the T3 for the rest of us :lol: The T3's last bro, its still a Diawa.

SilverGambler2200
Angler
Angler

Post by SilverGambler2200 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 am

smalliesteve wrote:I got one last spring and hate it. My Zebco 33 paired with a MH Ugly Stick outcasts it all day long, and is smoother and lighter besides being 1/10 the price. I think it's because the Zebco is built out of metal and the T3 isn't. I now use the T3 only as a casting weight when I practice with my Zebco in my backyard. :strface:
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the T3.

Part of what I like about the T3 1016 is the easiness of casting. Not sure what you mean about the T3 1016 being heavy, but at 6.5 ounces, I would consider that pretty light, actually over a full ounce lighter than a Chronarch E, and Curado E, and the same weight as the Chronarch C14.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 am

OK, so on a serious note...

Mine's a JDM HSL. Casts fantastic, comfortable to palm especially with an ACS seat (only reel I like with that reelseat), reasonably light. It is not what I would call smooth though. I blame that on the levelwind gears they used. Mine also arrived with the outer mag ring loose in the holder, which resulted in the reel being set to max braking no matter what the dial said. After I got all that sorted, I really like it! No grooves to be found at this point.

Over the winter I've upgraded to a 90mm carbon handle, Planets orange trim parts, and I'm currently sorting out a minor mod to fit a Steez SV spool into it. When I get a chance it's going to get a paint job.

I looked into the hybrid gear set from the T3 Air as a weight save, but it's $120 from Plat ](*,) Looks like you can get the cutout black hood for it for $30.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Wow its going to be seriously Blinged when your done with it. Should be on par with that Zebco lol. Didn't know you could custom paint a reel.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Antonese wrote:Wow its going to be seriously Blinged when your done with it. Should be on par with that Zebco lol. Didn't know you could custom paint a reel.
Spend some time on the Show and Tell page. All kinds of custom painted reels on there. There's even been a couple guys who've anodized their round reels. :D Some pretty badass stuff. Warning: don't go looking at this stuff if you're not prepared to shell out some coin. After you've looked you're done for. It's just a matter of when not if. :lol:

Welcome to TT!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 pm

smalliesteve wrote:OK, so on a serious note...

Mine's a JDM HSL. Casts fantastic, comfortable to palm especially with an ACS seat (only reel I like with that reelseat), reasonably light. It is not what I would call smooth though. I blame that on the levelwind gears they used. Mine also arrived with the outer mag ring loose in the holder, which resulted in the reel being set to max braking no matter what the dial said. After I got all that sorted, I really like it! No grooves to be found at this point.

Over the winter I've upgraded to a 90mm carbon handle, Planets orange trim parts, and I'm currently sorting out a minor mod to fit a Steez SV spool into it. When I get a chance it's going to get a paint job.

I looked into the hybrid gear set from the T3 Air as a weight save, but it's $120 from Plat ](*,) Looks like you can get the cutout black hood for it for $30.
I guess these cold winters are giving you lots of time to tinker. The aftermarket manufs. would go broke if you lived in SoCal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:58 pm

:lol:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 am

I've had my USDM for a couple of years. Liked it so much I bought the JDM SV. Good stuff!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 am

How does the jdm SV compare to the 1016?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 am

I found the hood re-engaging in casts unless I move from palm the reel to a casting position.
And I broke the hood. That's just me however, Reels that survive with me tend to be the toughest.
That said though I really liked the T3 SV and soon it will have a replacement hold albeit one from a T3 ballistic

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24 am

I have the 1016 and Ballistic in each gear ratio. Love them! Thinking of adding another 1016 to tune and bling. Great reel!