Which reel to buy? Stella or Vanquish.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which reel to buy? Stella or Vanquish.

Post by beezy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm looking to buy a spinning combo for ultralight lures and soft plastics. I'll mostly be throwing 1/8oz drop shots and weightless plastics. I'm looking to pick up an ultralight spinning reel for the job. I narrowed my choices of reel manufacturers down to Shimano only. I'm mainly looking at the top-of-the-line stella or the vanquish c2000s. I would like to hear the opinions of those who have owned either reel (if not both) and would like your input as to which I should buy. I almost forgot to say that I'll be spooling the reel with 4lb flourocarbon. I'd appreciate your inputs guys. Thanks in advance.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which reel to buy? Stella or Vanquish.

Post by Farnorth » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm

I have a Stella FE (mine is a 1000 rather than a c2000) but I think the main difference is just the spool size. I like mine a lot and would buy it again but I think you will need to figure out what will balance best with your rod. The vanquish weighs 160g, the Stella FE 175g, and the new Stella FI 180g. If you already have your rod (and don't have access to the reels to test) you could attach weights in those amounts to the reel seat to see how the balance is.

These are all quality reels and I really think the weight is the only real performance difference you will notice.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:18 pm

I've only held and played with a Vanquish never fished it but I do own 2 Stella FE (1000 and 2500). Nothing compares IMO. I prefer the look of the Stella to the Van but I do love the JDM C2000 size. I actually debated on buying a C2000 Vanquish this winter for another trout reel. But I ended up deciding if I was willing to pay $425-450 I'd be better off with another Stella. So instead I actually grabbed another Cardiff Ci4 for $225 (best compact JDM spinning reel under $300 love them).

Side by side, sizes between a 1000FE and a C2000 JDM shimano they look virtually identical. You'll get more line capacity out of a Stella if that matters to you. Also with the new FI coming out FEs are hitting sale prices here and there and can be had for very close to the price of importing a Van. I'm guessing we'll see them in the $400-450 very soon if you can wait. The Platinum Service plan that comes with a Stella is pretty amazing as well.

Whatever you pick you'll be getting a winner. But with the FI hitting I would recommend going with the FE. I plan on buying a couple when they go on clearance.

Have you considered going the typical Tackletour route and buying both ;)

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. If I had a sizable income, getting both reels would not be out of the question. :D I was eyeing the stella 1000fe just because of the weight compared to the vanquish. I'm actually a fan of the looks of the vanquish. I know the performance of the stella is top-notched but I'm debating on either waiting for the price to drop on the stella fe or just buy the vanquish. As far as balance goes, I liked the balanced design of shimano's spinning reels as the weight seems to be evenly distributed through the entire reel and therefore it's not the big issue. I'm not trying to rush this just in case I might bite the bullet too fast and then regret my purchase later. More suggestions from fellow members will definitely help speed up the process. :lol:

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:50 pm

I've heard the Vanquish translates gear vibration more than the stella due to frame materials. In that regard it won't feel as smooth. I didn't notice it during my brief time with one. I can tell you on my stellas you don't even know you're spinning the handle. It's like just moving your hand in a circle in the air lol. If you like the look on the Vanquish go for it. What have you used in regards to spinning reels or what do you own currently if any?

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I've heard the Vanquish translates gear vibration more than the stella due to frame materials. In that regard it won't feel as smooth. I didn't notice it during my brief time with one. I can tell you on my stellas you don't even know you're spinning the handle. It's like just moving your hand in a circle in the air lol. If you like the look on the Vanquish go for it. What have you used in regards to spinning reels or what do you own currently if any?
Hmm...is the feel of the vanquish similar to how the core 100 compared to the chronarch 100D reel? I have used shimano's entire line of spinning reels that they have offered in the US except for the stella. I now currently use the stradic ci4 and a sustain.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 am

You can get the Vanquish with a shallow spool...I vote for that...especially with light line.

Gander Mnt. has Stellas on sale for $549 and you get a $100 gift card...but there are only 2500 and 4000 sizes listed...maybe the'll have 1000 in store and price match (if your close to one).

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:59 pm

beezy wrote:
MondayMonkey wrote:I've heard the Vanquish translates gear vibration more than the stella due to frame materials. In that regard it won't feel as smooth. I didn't notice it during my brief time with one. I can tell you on my stellas you don't even know you're spinning the handle. It's like just moving your hand in a circle in the air lol. If you like the look on the Vanquish go for it. What have you used in regards to spinning reels or what do you own currently if any?
Hmm...is the feel of the vanquish similar to how the core 100 compared to the chronarch 100D reel? I have used shimano's entire line of spinning reels that they have offered in the US except for the stella. I now currently use the stradic ci4 and a sustain.

If it holds true I'd say the difference would be similar to the Vanquish being a Stradic (they both contain some Ci4) and the Sustain being a Stella (Stella doesn't use any Ci4 only Mg hence part of the reason it's heavier). I would guess the damping of the materials would act similar under use. Ci4 transfers a bit more vibration. From what I've been reading guys say the Stella will hold up and be smoother under pressure than Vanquish but may not be noticeable to some. No one out there wants to confirm it though they all just speculate lol.

Pros Vanquish
lighter
shallow spool
looks (you mentioned you preferred it)
approx $50-$100 cheaper
you get to say it's JDM

Pros Stella
Possibly smoother under pressure
line capacity
Full US warranty, Platinum Service Agreement, Free Service Coupon.
you get to say you own a Stella lol
Comes with sexy Stella soft case (Vanquish soft case not as sexy kind of cheap and thin same one i get with my $250 Cardiff Ci4)

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:40 pm

MondayMonkey wrote:
beezy wrote:

If it holds true I'd say the difference would be similar to the Vanquish being a Stradic (they both contain some Ci4) and the Sustain being a Stella (Stella doesn't use any Ci4 only Mg hence part of the reason it's heavier). I would guess the damping of the materials would act similar under use. Ci4 transfers a bit more vibration. From what I've been reading guys say the Stella will hold up and be smoother under pressure than Vanquish but may not be noticeable to some. No one out there wants to confirm it though they all just speculate lol.

Pros Vanquish
lighter
shallow spool
looks (you mentioned you preferred it)
approx $50-$100 cheaper
you get to say it's JDM

Pros Stella
Possibly smoother under pressure
line capacity
Full US warranty, Platinum Service Agreement, Free Service Coupon.
you get to say you own a Stella lol
Comes with sexy Stella soft case (Vanquish soft case not as sexy kind of cheap and thin same one i get with my $250 Cardiff Ci4)

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm going to go for it and pull the trigger on the stella.