Ideal Jerkbait / Topwater Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ideal Jerkbait / Topwater Reel

Post by Farnorth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:38 am

Hi all,

I have pre ordered a new jerkbait/topwater rod and am having trouble deciding what reel to pair it with. I am on the list for a Megabass Destroyer Evaluzion Oneten Stic which looks like it is going to cover the wide range of baits I intend to throw really well.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=5020

I use everything from 1/4oz husky jerks to the vision 110 on up to 3/4 oz Zara spook topwaters. My problem now is deciding on a reel that will throw this range well and match up with the rod. I will be using Jerry Brown 40lb hollow (.330 mm diameter) with a fluoro or mono leader appropriate for whatever species I am chasing that day. I fish mainly for pike/walleye/and lake trout. Here is a list of needs and wants as well as a few of the reels I have been considering.

Need:
Ability to throw 1/4 oz bait.
Line capacity of 70-100 yards of .330 line. Not too much more or less.
Powerful drag - 7-10 lbs of actual usable drag pressure.
Good drag performance. Barbless hooks are required in many lakes here and jerky drags lose fish.
Left Handed
Solid feeling reel.

Want:
Weight ideally under 200g.
Brass gearing if possible.
Gear ratio between 6.2:1 and 7.5:1. Not too fast or too slow.
Matches rod.

Reels I have been considering and the reason I haven't made a final decision yet.

Antares Hg with an Avail Shallow spool and a lighter handle - Shallow spool is on the low side for line capacity and standard spool is not the friendliest with 1/4oz baits. Over 200g.

Megabass HG68L - hard to find, most expensive, unsure about suitability for 1/4 oz baits.

Steez SV LTD 105xhl - seems too fast, 105 spool is on the lower end for line capacity.

Steez SV LTD TN - SO RED ( not sure it's my style) Specs wise this looks really good.

Metanium HG - not sure about 1/4 oz casting, aluminum gears, concerned that it's not as well built as other options.

Would love to hear your opinions about these or good alternatives.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ideal Jerkbait / Topwater Reel

Post by H8R » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 am

core MG7 : )

finebassfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebassfisher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 am

Metanium. I think it would be prefect for what you are trying to do.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 am

I prefer a round reel for topwaters...and my new 6.8:1 I'ZE Light should be SCHWEEET!

Otherwise, I really enjoyed the TDZ, Alphas and CU 100D/Scorpion 1000/CH MG50 platforms as well...keeping in mind that the gear ratio on all of these are in the high 5s to low 6s.

BTW, on your list, the PX68 or PX Type R might be a good alternative. In a current Shimano, I would choose a Met HG.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:19 am

My vote is for Metanium, especially if you want to throw from 1/4Oz range.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:42 am

Thank you all for the feedback.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 am

What the hell is wrong with you guys ?

THIS IS TACKLETOUR !!!!!!!

When a dude asks which one there´s only one answer: GET THEM ALL !!

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:38 am

Raul nailed it. :evil22:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:49 am

Alphas, Scorpions, TDZs, Curados, Chronachs, Pixies, heck, even a Citicas and some more ( notice the multiple use of plurals cuz that mean I got several of each ) all of them are "ideal" , ideally I should have more money to purchase more stuff. ~X(

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:59 am

raul wrote:Alphas, Scorpions, TDZs, Curados, Chronachs, Pixies, heck, even a Citicas and some more ( notice the multiple use of plurals cuz that mean I got several of each ) all of them are "ideal" , ideally I should have more money to purchase more stuff. ~X(
Nice, Raul. I would add Fuegos and older gold Carbonlites, Abu Black Max 1600s and Morrum 1600s. Also plural for a reason. :mrgreen: :laugh1:

EDIT: No experience with the 1500 size Abus, but imagine they would handle 1/4 oz. neatly.