New Reel for skipping jigs

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Reel for skipping jigs

Post by Lucky1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:04 am

Core! I have the Metanium XG. I love my metanium but for skipping docks, get another core. I have an NRX 845 with the core and I wouldn't trade it fur nuttin! :big grin:

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm

I like Daiwa's reels better for skipping, compare to Shimano's. Main reason, I don't skip all the time if I fish docs. Sometimes you need a long cast toward the bank if you are in between docks, or throwing parallel, it much easier to switch from MAX BREAK setting to LONG CAST, compare to Shimano's internal VBS. External break control quicker and more convenient.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Cracker wrote:I like Daiwa's reels better for skipping, compare to Shimano's. Main reason, I don't skip all the time if I fish docs. Sometimes you need a long cast toward the bank if you are in between docks, or throwing parallel, it much easier to switch from MAX BREAK setting to LONG CAST, compare to Shimano's internal VBS. External break control quicker and more convenient.
That I gotta disagree with. With T3 SV I do exactly the same. I switch between the 3 settings with the dial for minute changes.

With VBS I do everything on 2.

On SVS infinity I also use two ( dial in mid )then for those times when I need the brakes real low I back the braking cone dial right back. In big headwind casts I wind it up...I don't even install the rest of the brakes :P

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:00 am

Mcyl wrote: That I gotta disagree with. With T3 SV I do exactly the same. I switch between the 3 settings with the dial for minute changes.
On SVS infinity I also use two ( dial in mid )then for those times when I need the brakes real low I back the braking cone dial right back. In big headwind casts I wind it up...I don't even install the rest of the brakes :P
Never owned SVS, with VBS I can skip with 4 or 5 on.
Otherwise my regular setting is 1 or 2 on.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 am

Cracker wrote:
Mcyl wrote: That I gotta disagree with. With T3 SV I do exactly the same. I switch between the 3 settings with the dial for minute changes.
Never owned SVS, with VBS I can skip with 4 or 5 on.
Otherwise my regular setting is 1 or 2 on.
I routinely carried 2 brakes on VBS. One red and one green. Kinda gave me 4 settings with 2 brakes. I never bothered with the rest.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:59 am

Im not sure about all the different brake changes and types of brakes but I once I set up a combo I usually never mess with it nor the spool tension knob. I threw Steez reels for three seasons. Im now using Shimanos. Not bashing anyone or anything but it is what it is. I will say the Daiwa reels seem to be a little more free coming straight from the factory. Shimano needs to be used a bit before it loosens up. One of the nicest reels I have ever used for skipping was actually an Alphas ito. With a 6'8" MH rod, I could throw it so far under docks I would get hung up on front doors of cabins. :D (not true)

dan1942
Angler
Angler

Post by dan1942 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Ok I went ahead and picked up a T3 from TW since it was such a good price. I am also going to pick up a Metanium . Whatever I can skip better with I will keep on my jig setup the other will be used for something else.
I did already receive the T3 (overnight shipping) and it seems to not reel up line that smoothly maybe it needs more grease in the gears? I will probably upgrade the bearings and put in a worm shaft bearing hopefully that helps.

finebassfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebassfisher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Good choice. I think you will be satisfied with both.