Calcutta D swept handles??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Calcutta D swept handles??

Post by karirick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:47 am

Does anyone know if there is a swept handle that would fit on a Calcutta D? How do you think it would look? Thanks.

Rick

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calcutta D swept handles??

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 am

Not sure if the clearance is enough between the CCC and the handle for a swept handle. Maybe someone with a D and a swept handle will try it out and chime in, but just looking at it, it doesn't seem like there would be enough room.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:49 am

Hawgtech 102mm swept handle will work

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 am

Man that's a long handle, but it's great to know there is an option. I was wondering about that weird drag star. Thanks guys.
Rick

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Yup, HawgTech.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:25 pm

I had a Calcutta 200D for a bit. I remember taking off the handle to see if one of my Semper-Fi carbon ones would fit. I recall the center hole was different shape and there were 2 holes that screws went through the handle into a piece (part #4377).http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/t ... 817493.pdf I didn't mess with it but didn't think a different handle would work without modification.

I didn't see the D series listed on Hawgtech site :-k . Do they make one as needed for the reel?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:04 am

Glad I didn't take it apart yet. I will replace the handle if it just a plug and play. I can't/won/t modify the reel or a handle.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Rick

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 am

To remove the handle of the Calcutta D it is of course necessary to first remove the bolt that attaches the handle to the reel. The star drag must then be removed to get to the handle. On the back of the star drag are two of the standard Shimano tiny pins and springs that are part of the clicker. These small parts will fall out of the star drag when it is removed, and if you’re not expecting it they are easily lost. I do know it from experience. :evil:

Since the star drag on the Calcutta D is outside the handle, the handle sits very close to the faceplate. There is less than 1/8” clearance between the handle and the cast control cap. (EDIT: This will vary, depending on how far the cast control cap is tightened or loosened. It can be much less than 1/8" and only a millimeter or two as noted below.That is correct.) Shimano has said it is the main reason there no thumbscrews on the reel. There isn’t enough clearance.

Anyway, it might be possible to find a handle. Just thought I'd mention those parts of the clicker.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 am

buster 2900 wrote:Shimano has said it is the main reason there no thumbscrews on the reel. There isn’t enough clearance.
And we know that that is bs cause the JDM 100 and 200 have thumbscrews. BTW, per our earlier discussion about the D model, I did finally get the JDM 100. I haven't used it much yet but I like it. I will be adding bearings to the knobs and I already added Scorpion XT1000 knob caps.

lideri
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lideri » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:21 am

Why?
The star drag on the outside of the handle pretty much achieves the same thing as a swept handle, i.e. moves the knobs closer to the reel body. I'm not even sure there is possible to make a bent handle for the Calcutta D as the clearance between the straight stock handle and the tension knob is just a millimeter or two a bent handle would hit the tension knob.

The design of the hole in the handle is different from "normal" Shimano reels so you need a Calcutta D specific handle to make it work, I have seen a straight carbon handle for the Calcutta D but cant for the life me find who made it ](*,)

Found it http://dress.cx.shopserve.jp/SHOP/4560329180648.html

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am

Wow I didn't know this was so involved, but TT shines through with great info as always. Looks like I'm sticking to stock. Thanks a lot.

Rick

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am

John G wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:Shimano has said it is the main reason there no thumbscrews on the reel. There isn’t enough clearance.
And we know that that is bs cause the JDM 100 and 200 have thumbscrews. BTW, per our earlier discussion about the D model, I did finally get the JDM 100. I haven't used it much yet but I like it. I will be adding bearings to the knobs and I already added Scorpion XT1000 knob caps.
Great. Glad to hear it. The reel itself is excellent, IMO. There were just things about the design of the USDM version that I felt were “ascetic” and mostly marketing decisions that involved the bottom line. When I later gave it more thought, I realized the Calcutta DC reels also don’t have a thumbscrew. (I had been using one for several years.:roll:) I think that was also a design decision. There was plenty of room for one. But at least the DC had a sideplate that opened. I thought I could see a design influence from the DC on the D—the color, the slotted panhead screws, no thumbscrew and so on, though they are very different reels of course.