Chronarch D vs Curado I

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Petebass
Angler
Angler

Chronarch D vs Curado I

Post by Petebass » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi, I love my Chronarch D so, someone can do a comparison with the new Curado I?
Thanks!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch D vs Curado I

Post by spookybaits » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 am

I've been wondering this as well. :-k

If I had to guess:
-The chron-D will be smoother & more refined(and way more aftermarket parts/upgrades available).
-The curado will cast a little farther and may feel better under load due to the x-ship.
-Ergonomics is a toss up, depends on what the owner prefers.

*for what it's worth- I just sold off all but 1 of my chronarch d's this week to pay for my dogs surgery. I'll likely replace them with Curado I's/scorpions.

jgray101
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jgray101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Hope your dog gets better!

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:18 am

jgray101 wrote:Hope your dog gets better!
x2

Dog > tackle. ;)

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
jgray101 wrote:Hope your dog gets better!
x2

Dog > tackle. ;)
What kind of tackle we talking about? :lol:

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 pm

spookybaits wrote:If I had to guess:
-The chron-D will be smoother & more refined(and way more aftermarket parts/upgrades available).
Not so sure about this one. The curado I is one of the smoothest Shimanos I've had I a while. I chalk it up to the fine toothed gearing.

Petebass
Angler
Angler

Post by Petebass » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Cu I does cast farther than Ch D?Really?
Thanks.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:35 am

They cast very similar. The spool will be slightly heavier in the Curado because it holds more line. More line = more weight. However, it's not a huge difference. I was fishing some really light stuff in Florida about a month ago. I was more than impressed with the casting distance.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 am

The Chron D is in no way as smooth as the new Curado I. I love the Chron D... But she's Past her prime for sure.
Last edited by H8R on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

dan668
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dan668 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Seems the consensus is that the I is a better reel. Have yet to try it. Haven't seen a lefty yet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:47 pm

dan668 wrote:Seems the consensus is that the I is a better reel. Have yet to try it. Haven't seen a lefty yet.
"Better"?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm

H8R wrote:The Chron D is in no way as smooth as the new Curado I. I love the Chron D... But she's last her prime for sure.
Kind of early to say the new curado Is better then the D. I'm not going to run out and sell all my Ds just because a new reel might be as good or better. I've never had any complaints about the D. I love how it palms and how smooth it is. Will see if any problems occur with the curado and ci4 over time. Plus we care comparing a $300 with a $180 reel.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 pm

While I am sure the I is a great reel, can we give it some time before annointing it as better than the D? The D has a rep built on years of use and durability. While I am more than confident that I will right the ship for the Curado series, I still say err on the side of caution. If it's that good, that means the Chronarch CI4 must be better than the core right? The Metanium must be the best reel of all time!

I will gladly pay $180 for anyone's D series so they can convert them to the I series lol. :D

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 am

fishingandfords wrote:
H8R wrote:The Chron D is in no way as smooth as the new Curado I. I love the Chron D... But she's last her prime for sure.
Kind of early to say the new curado Is better then the D. I'm not going to run out and sell all my Ds just because a new reel might be as good or better. I've never had any complaints about the D. I love how it palms and how smooth it is. Will see if any problems occur with the curado and ci4 over time. Plus we care comparing a $300 with a $180 reel.

Price doesn't come into play as much when many years have come and gone since the Chron D to the Curado I.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:29 am

grantman83 wrote:While I am sure the I is a great reel, can we give it some time before annointing it as better than the D? The D has a rep built on years of use and durability. While I am more than confident that I will right the ship for the Curado series, I still say err on the side of caution. If it's that good, that means the Chronarch CI4 must be better than the core right? The Metanium must be the best reel of all time!

I will gladly pay $180 for anyone's D series so they can convert them to the I series lol. :D

Who said it was better? I merely stated that the Curado I is certainly as smooth and that , in terms of technology... the Chron D is behind.. and why wouldnt it be? It was introduced in what? 07? I understand the nostalgia with the ChronD... I have 2, as well as the Core which its very close to (aluminum being the major difference). Seems you're getting offended somehow... Not really sure why. Stating my observation, not that you have to agree with it.

As for the final comment you made... I see the humor in it, but what are you really saying? Lets compare it to say cars... An ehtusiast would LOVE to have a 67 Vette with a 427 for the price of a current gen model... Which one performs better though? The newer car does... Does that lend to the pricing of the old car? Nope... Just means the new car is also a fine machine. : )