Is 5.1:1 really necessary anymore?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is 5.1:1 really necessary anymore?

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm

21farms wrote:i only have one fishing speed: fast. i can't seem to help it...even when i mentally tell myself over and over again, i eventually start speeding up. having different speed reels allows me to properly present my lures while letting me fish at the speed i prefer. in addition, the difference in torque—even for lures without a lot of resistance—is noticeable and a lot more enjoyable to fish. fully one-third of my reel collection are 5:1 reels. i love 'em.
Muscle memory my man, more so the norm for nearly all fishers, than not...that is why it is important to match up IPTs to the rod/reel combo & to the tech.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri May 30, 2014 12:25 am

hobobob wrote:
lol. You forget one is a mac truck, the other one is a sports car. Sure, both can do 60mph, but not when you are towing something. It's like asking a contractor why carrying around a giant tool box when there is a Leatherman multi-tool on their belt? The answer is the right tool for the right job. Some might argue the same for rods. Why do we need so many rods when you can just do about anything with 1-2 rods?
Don't tell me what difference in 3 IPT or 5.6:1 gear ratio vs 6.3:1 makes one reel a sport car and another a truck.
If it would be 1.5:1 vs 20:1 I would agree. Aaron Martens uses 7.1:1 reels for cranking. Shimano, Daiwa in Japan almost stopped to make low gear ration reels. I doubt they stopped fish with spinnerbaits or deep crankbaits. Here, in US you can't buy anything lower than 6.3:1 in lefties in Shimano or Daiwa range, except Antares 2012.
Like I said you can always slow down with any regular or high gear ration speed reels, if you need to.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:11 am

Cracker wrote:
hobobob wrote:
lol. You forget one is a mac truck, the other one is a sports car. Sure, both can do 60mph, but not when you are towing something. It's like asking a contractor why carrying around a giant tool box when there is a Leatherman multi-tool on their belt? The answer is the right tool for the right job. Some might argue the same for rods. Why do we need so many rods when you can just do about anything with 1-2 rods?
Don't tell me what difference in 3 IPT or 5.6:1 gear ratio vs 6.3:1 makes one reel a sport car and another a truck.
If it would be 1.5:1 vs 20:1 I would agree. Aaron Martens uses 7.1:1 reels for cranking. Shimano, Daiwa in Japan almost stopped to make low gear ration reels. I doubt they stopped fish with spinnerbaits or deep crankbaits. Here, in US you can't buy anything lower than 6.3:1 in lefties in Shimano or Daiwa range, except Antares 2012.
Like I said you can always slow down with any regular or high gear ration speed reels, if you need to.
IPT ratings depend on how deep the spool is and how much line is on the spool. The IPT is always fluctuating slightly and is never constant. A lower ratio reel will always have less IPT and have less IPT the more line you have out.

Shimanos Lower than 6.3:1 Lefty:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... -SACR.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... e-SCD.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... -SCHE.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... -SHCB.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SCCRA.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SHCVL.html
I left out the Met at 6.2:1
Daiwas Lower than 6.3:1 Lefty:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Le ... -DL1C.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Team_Dai ... TDZCC.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_TD ... -DLCR.html

There have been less low pros that are cranking orientated, but still plenty of round reels. This is just the USDM market as well, JDM has more options as well as all the used reels that can be picked up like the TD-Z 103ML, Curado 201DPV, Curado 201E5 etc. If you want a cranking Steez or TD-Z of any flavour you can piece together the parts needed from Daiwa using the TD-Z 103ML with the 5.7:1 ratio and make any TD-Z or Steez a cranking reel, lefty or righty.

Also dont forget Abu Garcia with the Winch, Lews BB-1, Lews Tournament MG, and the Quantum Tour KVD to name a few.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri May 30, 2014 2:34 am

Phew, glad I am not the only one who feel the difference. I can feel the difference in every single reel I own and I would select the best reel for the job. If I don't own or carry a 5:1 ratio reel, the one felt most powerful / lower gear will be up to bat. I am not Arron Martin, I am I, a tackle snob. I can't carry 20 combos with me, I compromised enough to my comfort level to get through my day. Usually 4-5 combos max.

Why no 5:1 reel in lefty? or Disappearance of the 6:1 ratio reels? Try ask Bantam1 or Daiwa that question. Manufacture will produce reels base on sales history. The current trend is higher ratio reel sell better than lower ratio reels, that's why the X number keep increasing.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat May 31, 2014 6:35 am

Aaron Martens throws everythings from worms to 10XD's on a 7.x:1 reels.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:Aaron Martens throws everythings from worms to 10XD's on a 7.x:1 reels.
Rick Clunn uses a MH graphite for all techs...with same reel essentially on all his rods.

Doesn't work for everyone.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat May 31, 2014 1:45 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:Aaron Martens throws everythings from worms to 10XD's on a 7.x:1 reels.
Rick Clunn uses a MH graphite for all techs...with same reel essentially on all his rods.

Doesn't work for everyone.
I agree. He says the modern reels can handle high resistance baits like cranks, etc because they have larger gears and longer handles for more torque. He was specifically referring to the 2013 met.

I hope the 5.x:1 sticks around longer. Would be a shame if it disappeared.

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:53 am

Up here in north country where the lakes commonly have water clarity up to 20ft.+ and weeds grow out to 25ft+, it's an essential tool to have a 5:1 reel on a deep cranking setup to chase those active Bass. Sure you can "suffer" all day long and grind gears on a 6:1, but why?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

surf n turf wrote:Up here in north country where the lakes commonly have water clarity up to 20ft.+ and weeds grow out to 25ft+, it's an essential tool to have a 5:1 reel on a deep cranking setup to chase those active Bass. Sure you can "suffer" all day long and grind gears on a 6:1, but why?
Because Aaron Martens does it :lol:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:22 am

Teal101 wrote:
surf n turf wrote:Up here in north country where the lakes commonly have water clarity up to 20ft.+ and weeds grow out to 25ft+, it's an essential tool to have a 5:1 reel on a deep cranking setup to chase those active Bass. Sure you can "suffer" all day long and grind gears on a 6:1, but why?
Because Aaron Martens does it :lol:
BTW, I don't actually use 7.x:1 reels for everything. I was just throwing it out there that Aaron Martens uses only that gear ratio. I was in a pinch and didn't have time to further type stuff so I just left it short to stir up the thread a bit. :lol:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:52 pm

actually, when rick clunn was espousing one-rod-for-everything, it was a 7' heavy, not medium-heavy :lol:

here's why i think opinions vary so much. if you're limited to one or two reels, by all means, get 6:1 or 7:1 reels or whatever you like and make it work for you because with only 1-2 reels, versatility is paramount. but, if you can have 4-5+ reels (or, 40 :oops: ) then, as surf n turf so aptly put it, why suffer? use the best tool for the job.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:17 pm

21farms wrote:actually, when rick clunn was espousing one-rod-for-everything, it was a 7' heavy, not medium-heavy :lol:

here's why i think opinions vary so much. if you're limited to one or two reels, by all means, get 6:1 or 7:1 reels or whatever you like and make it work for you because with only 1-2 reels, versatility is paramount. but, if you can have 4-5+ reels (or, 40 :oops: ) then, as surf n turf so aptly put it, why suffer? use the best tool for the job.
You just have too fewer rods. You'll feel better once the numbers are even up. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 pm

21farms wrote:actually, when rick clunn was espousing one-rod-for-everything, it was a 7' heavy, not medium-heavy :lol:
Daayuumm...that's a little LESS versatile in my book than a MH. :lol:

Granted the MBR 844 GLX with the Wiebe seat is a truly superb and versatile stick for 1/4 - 1oz! ;)

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 am

I went from 6.3:1 to 5.7:1 on my cranking reel and can definitely feel a difference. Its much less effort and strain to reel in a lipless crankbait. Not a huge difference on paper, but its there and I prefer it.