Is 5.1:1 really necessary anymore?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is 5.1:1 really necessary anymore?

Post by BucketHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 11:14 am

I understand that low gear ratios are preferred for cranking because of the torque and power that allows you to fish cranks with less strain. Nowadays, with much more powerful reels, longer handles and whatnot, is a low gear ratio really necessary if you can make yourself slow down? The limited availability of LH low gear reels really has me thinking that I might be able to get away with a mid speed reel. Thoughts?
Instead of spending 200 on a Chronarch E, which I do like, it would be nice to try out the new Curado but would have to settle for no 5 series.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is 5.1:1 really necessary anymore?

Post by jmb27 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:41 am

Agree w/what you said. Also, when you are fishing, how often are you using deep diving cranks? Are you using them for hours at at time? If so, the lower gear ratio is worth it. If you are fishing them occasionally, a 6.2 gear ratio is likely fine.

For me, I don't fish deep diving cranks often enough to have a reel essentially just for that. I can use the 6.2 and deal w/a bit of "fatigue," later on. ;)

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 pm

I've never had a use for a low gear ratio reel. Most of the water I fish on a regular basis is 30 feet at the deepest, and on the occasion that I do fish deeper water, I haven't had a problem with 6 to 1 gear ratio reels.

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I agree with what's already been posted. Today's reels have longer handles and are built to handle to load of deep cranks. I only crank deep on rare occasions, so I leave it up to a 6.2:1 for this, then use it for other things when deep cranks isn't the thing.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I guess I am on the other side of this. I can see a low gear ratio reel as still being very viable. While the benefits of torque for baits like deep cranks and big spinnerbaits is great, it is not the only benefit to a lower gear ratio reel. Once you make your cast and reach your desired depth, a low gear ratio allows you have your bait in that desired range for a longer period of time. It is also a matter of comfort, I can retrieve my bait with the same cadence as a moderate or high speed reel without ever having to make any thought about needing to slow down because of a higher IPT.

A low gear ratio reel is a tool, not something that you absolutely need to have, but if you are going to spend the day cranking, why not use the right tool for the job.

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Sat May 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Tavery5 wrote:I guess I am on the other side of this. I can see a low gear ratio reel as still being very viable. While the benefits of torque for baits like deep cranks and big spinnerbaits is great, it is not the only benefit to a lower gear ratio reel. Once you make your cast and reach your desired depth, a low gear ratio allows you have your bait in that desired range for a longer period of time. It is also a matter of comfort, I can retrieve my bait with the same cadence as a moderate or high speed reel without ever having to make any thought about needing to slow down because of a higher IPT.

A low gear ratio reel is a tool, not something that you absolutely need to have, but if you are going to spend the day cranking, why not use the right tool for the job.
Bingo case closed

Reeling a 7.0 : 1 slow doesn't give it more torque. It is just straining longer.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Tavery5 wrote:I guess I am on the other side of this. I can see a low gear ratio reel as still being very viable. While the benefits of torque for baits like deep cranks and big spinnerbaits is great, it is not the only benefit to a lower gear ratio reel. Once you make your cast and reach your desired depth, a low gear ratio allows you have your bait in that desired range for a longer period of time. It is also a matter of comfort, I can retrieve my bait with the same cadence as a moderate or high speed reel without ever having to make any thought about needing to slow down because of a higher IPT.

I totally agree with the right tool for the job deal, I just don't know if I need that tool anymore. The lack of LH reels is the big consideration here though, TBH.
I agree with everything you said except the gear ratio allowing you to maintain a desired depth, not sure how that really applies here. A faster gear ratio, reeled slower, is going to do the same thing. Heck, I may want to cover more water quicker, and it might do it better.
I love my Ch200e5, but if there is one drawback, you really, REALLY have to reel when a big smallie makes a run toward you. Everything else is great. Another option would be the Lews BB1's, but I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to Shimano, they almost never let me down.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 1:26 pm

dusty wrote:

Bingo case closed

Reeling a 7.0 : 1 slow doesn't give it more torque. It is just straining longer.
Yeah I never said it would, nor is that what I am looking for. Guess I will just have to try cranking a day or two with 6 series gear reel before I decide If I can A) slow down enough B) deal with the extra feedback from the crank handle.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm

I concur 100 percent.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:44 pm

BucketHunter wrote:

I totally agree with the right tool for the job deal, I just don't know if I need that tool anymore. The lack of LH reels is the big consideration here though, TBH.
I agree with everything you said except the gear ratio allowing you to maintain a desired depth, not sure how that really applies here. A faster gear ratio, reeled slower, is going to do the same thing. Heck, I may want to cover more water quicker, and it might do it better.
I love my Ch200e5, but if there is one drawback, you really, REALLY have to reel when a big smallie makes a run toward you. Everything else is great. Another option would be the Lews BB1's, but I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to Shimano, they almost never let me down.

My point was not that it allows you to maintain a depth, but that it allows you to work in that depth for a longer period of time, the lower IPT retrieves the bait slower thus allowing the bait to work at it's maximum depth for a longer period of time, than a reel with a higher IPT.

Anyway these points have been debated to death, and if you feel like a low IPT reel is not a benefit in your style of fishing, then it probably is not.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 am

You are exactly right in your summation.

It's not that it is no longer necessary, it's that they are unavailable in LH retrieve.
I never had a problem finding low gear ratio reels. Then again, I'm right handed.

It's like framing a house with a 12oz hammer.
It will get the job done but the right tool to use is a 28oz framing hammer.
It's a good thing that hammers don't come in a RH or LH pounding handle.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun May 25, 2014 2:35 am

isn't IPT MOST important?

Deep is a relative term and depends on where you are in the country. For me 18-20 plus is deep. I've never caught anything from those depths with a lipped crankbait.

I look at reels and some of them are so close to the same IPT, that I wonder the effectivenes of going from 21 to 23-24 ipt.
That being said, I use a 5.1:1 reel for 200 series crankbaits which is not deep at all. I use that ratio for all my cranking dispite depth. For deep cranking I just have a longer rod with a higher line capacity reel. I think with lipped c/b its about maximizing depth and keeping the lure in the strikezone longer. Some peple have the same setups with differnt line sizes and some have the same rod with differnt gear ratio reels. Its about what works for you in the end. I still think the gear ratio is relevant the technological advances that we have today will only help.

As with any tool there is a time for them all

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am

Tavery5 wrote:
A great tool for the other things that you mentioned as well. My response was more of how much really deep cranking do you do? If it isn't much, then you might just have a reel that you don't use much if at all. If you crank a bunch, than the lower gear ratio would be a must have. :D

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun May 25, 2014 9:51 am

Wait........Bass live in water deeper than 5ft? :-k lol