First Impressions Curado I 200

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

First Impressions Curado I 200

Post by trout27 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

So got my first Curado I today. I got the 6.3.1 model in right hand. I spooled it up with 17lbs floro and put it on a 7ft mh avid. Normally use this rod for 1/2 jigs and trigs but was at the pond so ended up throwing a 1/4 texas rig with a zoom brush hog and a 1/4 mann's minus one, not ideal but who cares. Started with two brakes on and the dial at 1 while casting the brush hog. Birds nested my first couple cast but got it dialed in it was casting very well...almost as good as my core \:D/ . Then wanted to catch some fish so tied on the Mann's. Fish just got on their summer patterns so I knew I could get one fish in the last 20 minutes. Put on three brakes just to fool around. Made a cast and bam lure flew. Then went to two brakes with dial at six,the lure flew a distance of 50 turns of the handle ( I am not good at distances so if anyone knows the IPT of the 6.3.1 you could calculate distance) Last cast got one fish, a nice 2.5-3 lb bass. This is were I felt xship come into play. Cranking the fish in was effortless. My favorite thing though is that the reel palms very well for me. At first I was a little nervous because the reel's gearbox is pretty big. However unlike the gen 3 revos the gearbox does not sit below the reel seat which makes palming awesome. So far pretty impressed will do a full review later on.

Thanks,

Ryan

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: First Impressions Curado I 200

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Good review, these things are awesome.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Do you guys happen to own a ci4 also... I'm wondering how the curado compares to it.. On par or is there a significant difference in casting abilities and smoothness of retrieve..

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Good review, these things are awesome.
Thanks and I know might get another one or...three :lol:
MRQturbo wrote:Do you guys happen to own a ci4 also... I'm wondering how the curado compares to it.. On par or is there a significant difference in casting abilities and smoothness of retrieve..
No I do not unfortunately sorry. At the shop the reels both felt equally smooth but the ci4 felt a little hollow due to the carbon...not saying that is bad thing

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:57 pm

Nice post. One thing I want to add is that the dreaded handle play that Shimanos are known for is gone! I don't know if it's the X-ship or if Shimano just tightened up the tolerance a bit but there's definitely less clicking and clacking on the new CUrado I compared to all my other Shimanos.

Altro Cat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Altro Cat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm

MRQturbo wrote:Do you guys happen to own a ci4 also... I'm wondering how the curado compares to it.. On par or is there a significant difference in casting abilities and smoothness of retrieve..

The CI4 is a tad lighter and IMO it casts light lures a tad better. It's also has a noticeably smaller feel on a rod and in your hand when casting or working a bait. The retrieve feels the same to me as the Curado I.

IMO it is only worth the extra money if you intend to use it for finesse type applications or will be using it for casting baits on the light end of the spectrum.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:07 am

MaxZmus wrote:Nice post. One thing I want to add is that the dreaded handle play that Shimanos are known for is gone! I don't know if it's the X-ship or if Shimano just tightened up the tolerance a bit but there's definitely less clicking and clacking on the new CUrado I compared to all my other Shimanos.
I agree with the handle back play going away too. I am going out for another 2 hours at a different pond. I will update you guys after.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 am

I have fished with my buddies a little and serviced it for him after he fished it for a couple months. To me being a service tech and having much experience with the previous Curado models I am impressed, as I have been with most new Curado's at there introduction, spare the "G" which was a bit disappointing and actually had me be believing Shimano was wanting to keep price but widen the gap between it and the Chronarch ,,,,,I think the new Curado I assures everyone Shimano has listened to all the complaints and came out with a new Curado that insures us all that they want the status and popularity of the Curado back where it once was, and from what I have seen this was the case, as this is the Curado we were all expecting when they introduced the "G"!!! Hat's off to them on a much refined reel over the "E" series, and in my book their best Curado to date!! =D>

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 am

That's what I'm interested in - how it compares to the "E" series. Sounds as if the "I" is more refined.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 am

I preferred the solid feeling of the curado over the ci4 and after getting the use the curado more ans landinfg a feel fish I'm glad I sold the ci4

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:11 pm

fishingandfords wrote:I preferred the solid feeling of the curado over the ci4 and after getting the use the curado more ans landinfg a feel fish I'm glad I sold the ci4

I disagree the ci4 is also has a solid feel to it. both fantastic reels.
Last edited by phatbass on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Sorry I was not able to post any more updates I got screwed by thunderstorms ](*,)

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 am

For what its worth I have both the curado I and ci4 and out of the box I perfer the I. Granted I havent used them on the same rod with the same lure and line, but my I seems to cast beter (3 breaks on, adjust the dial for wind).Iv been using the I for dt6 rapalas on a custom phenix x10, the first cast landed in the bank because it went alot farther than I thought it would.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 am

Been able to get a couple more hours on the curado. I mainly was pitching with it. I pitched A 1/4 Stone jig w/ paca craw as trailer, a sweet beaver w/ a 1/16oz weight, a sweet beaver w/ a 1/4 oz, and finally a 3/4 oz hack attack jig. I will say that the curado pitched all these baits as well as my core 100. However the beaver with the 1/16oz weight felt a little more effortless on the core. The curado I just keeps on impressing me and is 100% worth the money.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:18 am

Quillback wrote:That's what I'm interested in - how it compares to the "E" series. Sounds as if the "I" is more refined.
I is a much better reel than the E. As has been posted many times, the new brake system does take a little time to figure out vs the old.

The Xship is the real deal. It isn't something that you really appreciate just casting & retrieving lures. Once you get a decent load, you'll feel the difference immediately.