Type R or Reg Tatula on the water updates anyone?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Type R or Reg Tatula on the water updates anyone?

Post by dtacker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:55 am

Currently I have a regular Tatula in the 7.3:1 which I love. I've finally had some time to use the reel for around 10 trips and get a better assessment. While I respect and appreciate all of the previous information on the site in regards to the Type-R vs. non-Type-R, was curious if anyone has any updated information? I've read through previous topics and it's been a couple months since anything has been added. Figured with the warmer weather we may have some new insight.
I am definitely purchasing another high-speed Tatula and want to make sure I'm not missing out if I skip the Type-R. As of right now I've planned to buy the Type-R even though I've been beyond satisfied with the regular Tatula. I felt the same way with my E series Citica and Curados (which I still own and use) however looking back I would have rather gone with the Curado as they feel just a bit better to me. Mostly just trying to avoid that same situation.
For anyone wondering or if it helps with advice my experience with the Tatula has been wonderful. So far I've thrown walking baits on the reel and after a bit of adjusting have been very pleased with the casting, "no-load" retreive when just working the bait and also full load on 3-4 lb spotted bass. I've also spent some time with the reel throwing heavier applications including frogs and buzzbaits. So far this is probably my favorite heavy application reel, using braid and throwing hollow frogs and buzzbaits on heavy action rods (Dobyns 736, Dobyns dx746) I actually fell in love. Casting, retreive and overall handling has been great for me. Love the handle and I actually find the size comfortable for me giving me plenty of power the way I palm it for hooksets, very solid. I really liked the feel once I started catching 5+ lb fish out of cover and weed mats. The retreive under load and the drag being so much stronger than my old reels really sold this reel to me. With that being said my primary use for these reels will be heavier applications such as buzzbaits, frogs and heavy flipping/punching. I've yet to even have any other line on the reel besides 70lb Daiwa Samurai. For now I've been so pleased with the reels I just want to fill out my heavy applications with 3-5 more Tatulas (likely all 8.0:1 if type R or 7.0:1 if regular) then I will look to my other applications. I know on paper the differences are extremely minimal I was just wondering if anyone "felt" anything different with real world use.
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and information!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Type R or Reg Tatula on the water updates anyone?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 am

dtacker wrote:Currently I have a regular Tatula in the 7.3:1 which I love. I've finally had some time to use the reel for around 10 trips and get a better assessment. While I respect and appreciate all of the previous information on the site in regards to the Type-R vs. non-Type-R, was curious if anyone has any updated information? I've read through previous topics and it's been a couple months since anything has been added. Figured with the warmer weather we may have some new insight.
I am definitely purchasing another high-speed Tatula and want to make sure I'm not missing out if I skip the Type-R. As of right now I've planned to buy the Type-R even though I've been beyond satisfied with the regular Tatula. I felt the same way with my E series Citica and Curados (which I still own and use) however looking back I would have rather gone with the Curado as they feel just a bit better to me. Mostly just trying to avoid that same situation.
For anyone wondering or if it helps with advice my experience with the Tatula has been wonderful. So far I've thrown walking baits on the reel and after a bit of adjusting have been very pleased with the casting, "no-load" retreive when just working the bait and also full load on 3-4 lb spotted bass. I've also spent some time with the reel throwing heavier applications including frogs and buzzbaits. So far this is probably my favorite heavy application reel, using braid and throwing hollow frogs and buzzbaits on heavy action rods (Dobyns 736, Dobyns dx746) I actually fell in love. Casting, retreive and overall handling has been great for me. Love the handle and I actually find the size comfortable for me giving me plenty of power the way I palm it for hooksets, very solid. I really liked the feel once I started catching 5+ lb fish out of cover and weed mats. The retreive under load and the drag being so much stronger than my old reels really sold this reel to me. With that being said my primary use for these reels will be heavier applications such as buzzbaits, frogs and heavy flipping/punching. I've yet to even have any other line on the reel besides 70lb Daiwa Samurai. For now I've been so pleased with the reels I just want to fill out my heavy applications with 3-5 more Tatulas (likely all 8.0:1 if type R or 7.0:1 if regular) then I will look to my other applications. I know on paper the differences are extremely minimal I was just wondering if anyone "felt" anything different with real world use.
Other than a few people having issues with the TWing grooving with flouro line and some not caring for the palming profile most seem to really like the Tatula. You know you will regret it if you don't try the type r next. ;)

DaveJ

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 am

I have both and love them. I mainly use the Type R for bottom contact and the 7.3:1 for reaction baits, small swimbaits and frogs. I use 65 lb braid for frogs and I have no issues with grooving.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:42 am

3 Tats and 2 of them Type R's. No grooving but the residue from the line sure does look like grooving until you wipe it off. Anyways. 1 8.1R for punching with 65lb braid, 1 6.3R for spinnerbaits, and 1 5.1 for cranking. All very smooth and still stock which makes them even more impressive. Add a few bearings and maybe change out those knobs would make them better. Don't let anyone make you think they are that much bigger than any reel out there. If you are used to Sol's, Steez's, Pixies, and Shim 50's than yes it will feel bigger because you don't hold larger reels like you hold the smaller ones. If you are used to Zillion's, TDZ's, X's, Shim 200's or most reels on the market it will not be noticeable. Just to keep a debate from starting these are all my opinions of course.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:05 pm

dtacker wrote:Currently I have a regular Tatula in the 7.3:1 which I love. I've finally had some time to use the reel for around 10 trips and get a better assessment. While I respect and appreciate all of the previous information on the site in regards to the Type-R vs. non-Type-R, was curious if anyone has any updated information? I've read through previous topics and it's been a couple months since anything has been added. Figured with the warmer weather we may have some new insight.
For me I own the regular tat 7.3 and depending on the rod its on the better it feels. Basically the only rod I have that it doesnt feel good on is my Omen Black due to the small handle.
Under load the reel shined for me very impressed on how powerful it felt. I caught this big carp and dont think I felt any strain at all reeling it in. The drag too worked great holding when needed and letting loose on the inevitable spurts/dashes the fish had in it. With only 15# line I was glad the drag worked well if it didnt snap goes the line.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:09 am

Hi dtacker,

If you plan on buying 3-5 more Tatulas then it makes sense that you give a R a try before you buy a bunch more. Then you can form your own opinion as to which model you like best. Since you want a high speed model then the 8.0:1 may be worth the extra money alone.

Frank

dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dtacker » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks to everyone for the replies! Looks like I will go with the Type-R in 8.0:1 and see how it feels! Happy to report back with my findings! Was more-less just making sure no one could talk me out of the Type-R haha.

For those that replied on specifically about the reel power and performance, couldn't agree with you more! I can't say too much about the drag smoothness on the reel but it did hold up to some near the boat surges from strong spots hooked on treble hooks. I can say that the drag is STRONG, as in did NOT slip like my E series Curados which is exactly what I was going for! Either way, the Tatula is a great value in my opinion!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 am

I haven't noticed a difference in feel between the type r and regular tat. They are very solid well built reels. I spent some time fishing mine off shore on some down time with the old man throwing top water plugs for Bonita and it handled those hard running torpedoes with ease. Wouldn't hesitate to try for even bigger quarry. I really was trying to push the reel to its limit but I guess I'll just have to find something bigger and or harder fighting.

dtacker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dtacker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 am

PCSnooker wrote:I haven't noticed a difference in feel between the type r and regular tat. They are very solid well built reels. I spent some time fishing mine off shore on some down time with the old man throwing top water plugs for Bonita and it handled those hard running torpedoes with ease. Wouldn't hesitate to try for even bigger quarry. I really was trying to push the reel to its limit but I guess I'll just have to find something bigger and or harder fighting.
Thanks for the response! I haven't battled anything of that strength, but I've been pleased with the regular overall! I was lucky enough to catch a striper around 20 lbs on it which the reel handled with ease! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:47 am

Just bought my Tatula today, when holding both the Tatula and Type R in store, I couldn't tell any difference what so ever!
I liked the "blingy" parts on the Type R, and the no tax event made my choice easier, 166$ for a Type R \:D/

My next Tatula will be the regular version.

I did swap the knobs and nut retainer\plate from one of my T3's....complements the Type R very nicely, now to order red RCS knobs! :big grin:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:27 am

I have been grinding my tatula into the dirt, not literally of course. It is truly a work horse reel. I have tested it with all kinds of baits - jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, bladed swim jigs, jerkbaits, topwater, frogs, texas rigs, etc....

No grooving at all, and it still performs like a champ. It is not as smooth as it was the day I got it of course, but it still feels very powerful. Once I clean it up it will be smooth again. 8-)

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:51 am

I currently have 1 Tatula and 1 Type-R and am buying several more of these reels. They are absolutely amazing. I have had no problems at all and they are smooth, cast extremely well, the drag is super smooth and strong and the braking system is wonderful.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:34 am

I have one of each. Purchased the Type R last month.
Purchased the non R version last week. Would purchase more of the non R version.
It is just as smooth as the Type R.
(IMO) the Type R is not worth the extra $50

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:31 pm

StarTzar wrote:I have one of each. Purchased the Type R last month.
Purchased the non R version last week. Would purchase more of the non R version.
It is just as smooth as the Type R.
(IMO) the Type R is not worth the extra $50
no it's not but if u can get a deal off of ebay for $135 on a type r, then it's def a better deal

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 am

I personally prefer the non-Type R as I really saw no differences in performance from testing the Type R.