absolute worst reel you ever owned

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
amishfury
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

absolute worst reel you ever owned

Post by amishfury » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:25 pm

so recently looking back at the gear i've had (prompted by recent purchases) i ended up remembering the most godawful reel i ever had...

i couldn't even begin to mention the model or brand (it might have been shakespeare) just that it was either red or blue (don't remember the color but am certain both were available to choose from when it was purchased) it was my first spinning reel... made with as few metal parts as possible held together with the cheapest plastic ever molded by chinese toddlers and featuring a bail that was nothing more than a bent piece of wire (not even joking... if the bail broke it could be replaced by bending a bit of coat hanger not like the bail would have been the part to break as it was the strongest component of this turd) i hope that some day i can find some form of photographic evidence of this reel so others can marvel at it's awfulness

how that thing never managed to put me off spinning reels all together i'll never know

DBOULAIS
Angler
Angler

Re: absolute worst reel you ever owned

Post by DBOULAIS » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:07 pm

A Pflueger Freespeed 1000, my first spinning reel. It had a painted spool that wore off almost immediately on the spool lip. It had gears like they were wooden pegs on a wind mill. When I got my first Mitchel 300, I was in heaven!

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Quantum Energy, circa 1999. That thing has such inconsistent brakes!

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:19 am

Daiwa Megaforce

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:45 am

biggs wrote:Daiwa Megaforce
I have a Daiwa Megaforce Plus that I'm in a love/hate relationship with. It is pretty cheaply built with a graphite body and the cast button sticks a little, but it has a spool as good as the Zillion, fast retrieve, decent drag, and I LOVE the twitching bar for walleye jigging on fly in trips. Being able to fish with one hand while controlling the motor while backtrolling with the other is great. I bought a Viento I liked it so much, but the Viento is only much better in build quality. The slower gear ratio, fixed inductor, and shorter handle spin time are all downgrades. I used the all the bearings, swept handle with removable knobs, and metal drag star to upgrade a classic TD-S, so that was a nice bonus.

Worst reel for me was an old Abumatic Spincast reel. I could not find line that would cast without binding up in the thing. Blessing in disguise though because it got me into baitcasters at age 13.

DaveJ

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:11 am

Pflueger President...

I used to get winding knots constantly and the lines would catch on the guides alot as well. As for breaking, it still works, I just do not fish it anymore. It has been handed down to my son who uses it for sitefishing panfish.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:36 am

Zeebaas ZX 25 and 27 Second generation....well documented on other message boards.....overpriced pieces of junk.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:48 am

biggs wrote:Daiwa Megaforce
Dear god yes! Had a Megaforce plus and it was absolutely horrible. The clutch wouldn't engage or disengage properly and the twitch bar constantly locked the reel down completely. Other times the twitch bar would disengage and just flop around. Although I had a Pflueger Partriarch XT Spinner that was absolutely horrible it comes in a close second.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:53 am

lape0019 wrote:Pflueger President...

I used to get winding knots constantly and the lines would catch on the guides alot as well. As for breaking, it still works, I just do not fish it anymore. It has been handed down to my son who uses it for sitefishing panfish.
I actually had several President and President XT reels when I was in college I loved them. You had to be really careful what line you used because they loved to cause twist but they were beasts for me back then.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:51 am

It was a Daiwa "something" can't remember the model. :?
What I do remember is tossing it overboard. 8-)

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:25 am

I´ve got:

A Quantum which I don´t remember which model was, hell, even my cheaper Silstar was a much better reel than that piece of garbage. Consequence ----> Quantum may have done great improvements but why bother trying again :-k when I can purchase Shimano and Daiwa ? :whistle:

Abu Garcia Törno, nothing to add. [-(

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:05 am

Shakespeare's are pretty bad, but had some quantums that stink too! Wasn't much on the first Lews Lasers.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 am

I bought a Silstar reel on a no name rod in my early 20's and used to fish for Stripers and Blues from the beach with it. The reel was plastic (they called it graphite) inside and out and seized up while a bluefish blitz was underway. Those cheap reels don't last too long in saltwater.

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lawaia » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 am

Shimano Corsair complete junk!

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Lawaia wrote:Shimano Corsair complete junk!

Yep. Even Shimano knew that. That's why they offered the Corvalus (discontinued) as a free replacement. I sent mine in 2 years after they stopped the replacement and still got the replacement no questions asked.