SV Spool Inductor

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV Spool Inductor

Post by jvelth74 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 am

If it won’t work when I try next time (probably today) then I’m thinking to clean sv parts clean by ethanol.

If that won’t work, then I try to swap sv parts for sv tw Zillion spool (I don’t use that spool). I already borrowed cotter from that reel because I lost that one wile trying to assemble it.

This time cotter joint was somehow difficult to fit. But finally I managed by taping cotter to screwdriver and by using tape as turning joint.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 28, 2019 7:35 am

I use a pair of hemostats with a small drop of super glue on the tip of one side. I can make that clip stand out and line it up much more easily. I put electrical tape on the other side of the hemos to prevent scratching the spool shaft or anything else when I squeeze them to seat the clip. Works great! Saves me a lot of time and frustration.
This is the way.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am

Which SV spools are prone to be stuck?
Never had any issues with Zillion or Steez G1 spools.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 am

Cracker wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am
My SV105P spool had the stuck inductor even put in the white ramp still just not right. Blow ups for no apparent reason ruining my line. Pretty much gave up on the reel hangs in the basement now replaced by curado 70 with 5.5 gears.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 am
Cracker wrote:
My SV105P spool had the stuck inductor even put in the white ramp still just not right. Blow ups for no apparent reason ruining my line. Pretty much gave up on the reel hangs in the basement now replaced by curado 70 with 5.5 gears.
Those sv105's are just wild, anyway. You really need to keep your baits above 3/16oz and either use a lot of mechanical braking or turn the mag dial up.h I almost always have the brake dial set at 50-100%, typically around 75% with loose spool tension throwing 1/4-3/8oz. It does very well at those settings.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

Cracker wrote:
They have the updated white ramp on the spool, so you won't see issues with sticky inductors. The older spools like the sv1000, ss sv103, sv103/105, T3/SS/Alphas Air, and maybe some others have a smaller black ramp which will allow the spool to slide all the way up the incline and park on the flat surface at the top of the ramp.

I changed the ramp on an sv1000 shallow spool and popped it in my SS SV 103HL with some original hedgehog ceramic bearings and it may just be the best casting reel I have for distance with baits under 1/2oz. I can absolutely bomb a 1/4oz Yo-Zuri 3DS MR crank on a 6'5" ML rod and 20# braid. That simply wasn't the case with the original spool or even the steez sv105 I replaced it with. It's a wild spool, and since the SS is over braked it's a match made in heaven. I wouldn't be able to use braid with it without changing that ramp because it's when the spool suddenly stops, like when you backlash braid, that the inductor slams home and sticks in place, and the problem seems to be cumulative and become more likely with each backlash.
Last edited by poisonokie on Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 pm
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Those sv105's are just wild, anyway. You really need to keep your baits above 3/16oz and either use a lot of mechanical braking or turn the mag dial up.h I almost always have the brake dial set at 50-100%, typically around 75% with loose spool tension throwing 1/4-3/8oz. It does very well at those settings.
My Alphas SV is super mellow. Loose spool tension and 50% on the mag dial for trouble free casting. 100% mag dial is used to skip baits effortlessly. It is one of the tamest and most difficult reel to backlash I have. I'll skip a flick shake and not even thumb the spool and only get one or two loose coils of line on the spool. There must be some variation in the consistency of the braking profile from reel to reel with these earlier SV spool reels.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 28, 2019 1:40 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm
There must be some variation in the consistency of the braking profile from reel to reel with these earlier SV spool reels.
I have a pair of sv105's and while I would not call them "wild", they are the most free-casting/least controlled of the 5-6 sv-spooled reels I have owned. I use mine on a pair of Loomis cr723's and I think they are a perfect fit for that 1/4 to 1/2oz range.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 am

I tried my ct Alphas after sv inductor cleanup. I can understand that this reel / spool could be really enjoyable when sv brake works as should. I have managed to cast lightweight lure with it now 15 times more than 5 meters and without backlash. But when sv brake works, oh boy, it flies. And because 10 of those successful casts was yesterday, influence of cleanup was significant.

Formerly I have wondered that why many bass fisherman tilts their reels by 90 degrees during cast. And I have also read that sv reels should never tilted during cast. Makes sense, because inductor ring itself weights something 1 gram and sv spring force is not many grams. Because of that I decided to tilt my reel by 90 degrees during cast and that really had significant influence to manage inductor to contract. But still in all cases my inductor isn’t expanding at all.

I have to proceed cleanup. This time clean oils with ethanol. And if that doesn’t work, then to swap parts.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Cracker wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not trying to pick a fight. I really want to know.
My friend loves her Daiwa reels, but I've only tried the a couple of times, and that was with 1/2oz lures, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance.
I see lots of threads concerning problems with the inductors on Daiwa reel spools.
Why are such high end reels prone to problems from common usage?
Are Daiwa reels so much better for light stuff that all the hassles with the spool inductors are worth it?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 29, 2019 3:24 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Cracker wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not trying to pick a fight. I really want to know.
My friend loves her Daiwa reels, but I've only tried the a couple of times, and that was with 1/2oz lures, so I'm speaking from a position of ignorance.
I see lots of threads concerning problems with the inductors on Daiwa reel spools.
Are Daiwa reels so much better for light stuff that all the hassles with the spool inductors are worth it?
It was just a design issue with the early SV spools. I agree, it's a pretty major oversight, but the performance is outstanding when it works like it's supposed to. They have since rectified the issue and it's not too big of a deal to retroactively fix the early models.
This is the way.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:54 am
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Ive not had good luck with 2 sv models but my non sv daiwa reels no issues like them a lot. My sv105p has hedgehog bearings and the zillion ramp here https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12155. It doesnt get stuck any longer just blows up at times think it has to due with brake dial but done fooling with it.What I really like about the reel is the effortless retrieve with main lure I throw with it 3.8 fat keitech 1/4 jig head. Because of that light retrieve sensitivity of strikes seem to be enhanced. Guess could put braid on it that way backlash can be picked out and not ruin the line had FC on it. I dont feel sv reels perform any better with light lures than other comparable $$$ reels.