Reel Frame Measurements Cross Posted From BBC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Reel Frame Measurements Cross Posted From BBC

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:54 am

Here are some measurements taken by a member "Mark Perry" over on BBC. Kind of interesting to say the least, the Tatula is SKINNIER than the Curado I, but taller my a very small margin.
I did a small informal test at a tackle shop recently. Took a pair of digital calipers in and measure a few of the popular brand models. i used the same few aspects of each reel to use as a baseline to keep things as equal as I could. I was surprised at the opinions out there of what reels are "larger" but my results showed a few of those are misjudged. All measurements were taken in the same common type area on each reel. This is far from scientific but again as information use one its a good breakdown of info.

Key to measurements:
W1- width of side of reel to outer edge of reel nut on handle.
W2- side to side of reel width
H1- side of reel to outer side handle nut
H2- handle length
H3- top of reel to bottom of reel height
H4- top of reel to bottom of reel foot

Shimano Curado I-
W1- 3.11
W2- 2.74
H1- 3.72
H2- 3.86
H3- 1.60
H4- 3.20

Lew's Pro SS/SH-
W1- 2.98
W2- 2.51
H1- 3.69
H2- 3.93
H3- 1.61
H4- 2.23

Daiwa Zillion-
W1- 3.01
w2- 2.56
H1- 3.93
H2- 4.00
H3- 1.64
H4- 2.17

Daiwa Tatula-
W1- 2.96
W2- 2.60
H1- 3.93
H2- 3.96
H3- 1.64
H4- 2.32

Shimano Green Curado-
W1- 3.09
W2- 2.76
H1- 3.55
H2- 3.89
H3- not taken
H4- not taken

ABU Garcia Revo Premier-
W1- 3.07
W2- 2.68
H1- 3.52
H2- 3.90
H3- 1.63
H4- 2.36

13 Fishing Concept A-
W1-2.94
W2-2.48
H1- 3.70
H2- 4.00
H3- 1.53
H4- 2.2o

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Frame Measurements Cross Posted From BBC

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:15 am

What's the point here? The Curado I has a noticeably wider spool than the Tatula, and the width difference between the 2 are about the same as the height difference.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 am

Bootytrain wrote:What's the point here? The Curado I has a noticeably wider spool than the Tatula, and the width difference between the 2 are about the same as the height difference.
There have been a quite a few complaints about how "big" the Tatula is, it's just interesting that it is in fact smaller width wise, and practically the same size overall.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:57 am

Teal101 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:What's the point here? The Curado I has a noticeably wider spool than the Tatula, and the width difference between the 2 are about the same as the height difference.
There have been a quite a few complaints about how "big" the Tatula is, it's just interesting that it is in fact smaller width wise, and practically the same size overall.
I think its more about where you design the dimensions. The Tatula is comfortable except for the mag dial placement for the way I palm, so that makes me have to palm it in a way that's not natural for me when I fish it. I don't think the actual measurements matter when you have the reel on a rod and in your hand. I find the Metanium more comfortable than the Curado and its not nearly as compact.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:28 am

Bootytrain wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
I think its more about where you design the dimensions. The Tatula is comfortable except for the mag dial placement for the way I palm, so that makes me have to palm it in a way that's not natural for me when I fish it. I don't think the actual measurements matter when you have the reel on a rod and in your hand. I find the Metanium more comfortable than the Curado and its not nearly as compact.
I agree. I've seen numerous posts about how big the Tatula is and hard to palm, and I dont believe it is the size that is the issue, but the design itself that lends it to feeling larger than it truly is.

It is something I considered when thinking of purchasing one and after holding one in the store I was somewhat confused as it really is not that big.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:59 am

i don't have the curado i but here is a tatula shown with a chronarch CI4+ shot from the same distance using the same focal length on the same rod:

as you can see, it sits further back on the reel seat, sending the widest part of the reel deeper into the palm of those that hold their reels that way.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:01 am

It also doesnt narrow as much at the nose.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 am

I just palmed my Tatula backwards... It was WAY more comfortable

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 am

The only thing that matters is how it feels to you on the rod that you are using. It is a subjective thing because people have different size hands and hold the reel differently. The fit is more important than size for most people.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:48 am

I find my core 100 easier to palm then my curado I. I think the way a reel curves and how it wides and narrows determines how well it palms.

Thanks,

Ryan

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:22 am

The Tatula's problem is that it does not taper towards the front, thus making it uncomfortable for many to palm (along with the placement of the brake dial). So while it might appear narrower than others, the lack of front taper negates this "measured" narrowness.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 am

JWR075 wrote:The Tatula's problem is that it does not taper towards the front, thus making it uncomfortable for many to palm (along with the placement of the brake dial). So while it might appear narrower than others, the lack of front taper negates this "measured" narrowness.
That was my thought, lack of front taper.

The brake dial on my TD-Ito sticks out pretty far as well. Not enough to make it uncomfortable, but far enough that when walking the dog with a topwater I can actually turn the dial on accident.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 am

JWR075 wrote:The Tatula's problem is that it does not taper towards the front, thus making it uncomfortable for many to palm (along with the placement of the brake dial). So while it might appear narrower than others, the lack of front taper negates this "measured" narrowness.
This was exactly my issue. The lack of front taper and dial flare exactly where I keep my finger. The chronach feels smaller because the front taper makes the reel almost disappear in my hand.