13 Fishing trick shop reels.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

13 Fishing trick shop reels.

Post by joekaz » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:55 am

Check out the "Green Machine" and the "Gold Digger" trick shop casting reels on 13 Fishing's facebook page! I can't wait for the lefty's. Can someone please post the pics on here for me.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 13 Fishing trick shop reels.

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:15 am

Here you go

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:59 am

I hate to say it but... That green machine looks pretty cool.
It's about time someone came out with green anodized parts(other than retainers).
That drag star looks identical to ZPI's pentigram star :-k
In true TT form- I wonder if those parts will fit shimano/daiwa :D

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:32 am

spookybaits wrote:I hate to say it but... That green machine looks pretty cool.
It's about time someone came out with green anodized parts(other than retainers).
That drag star looks identical to ZPI's pentigram star :-k
In true TT form- I wonder if those parts will fit shimano/daiwa :D
No on the Daiwa. Haven't tried Shimano.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:46 am

I'm surprised more of the TT minions are not all over these reels. This company is doing what most have dreamed about for a long time. Then again lefties are not out yet, which I don't care and the trick shop is not fully open yet.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:28 am

falcon wrote:I'm surprised more of the TT minions are not all over these reels. This company is doing what most have dreamed about for a long time.
After market bling?
Are the parts even an upgrade in components or you're simply paying for a coloured spool you ain't even going to see once it's spooled with line.

Granted, they look good, for the younger crowd IMO.
To me 13 Fishing will first and foremost be a rod company.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:47 am

If those knobs fit Shimano handles they'll come in handy. With upgrading the actual concept reel the apollo MG spool may provide a good shallow capacity option as well as carbon fibre drag dragstars. It's pretty cool this shop reminds me of the mojo bike craze.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:03 am

389Maverick wrote:
falcon wrote:I'm surprised more of the TT minions are not all over these reels. This company is doing what most have dreamed about for a long time.
After market bling?
Are the parts even an upgrade in components or you're simply paying for a coloured spool you ain't even going to see once it's spooled with line.

Granted, they look good, for the younger crowd IMO.
To me 13 Fishing will first and foremost be a rod company.

If you buy a new spool based on the color alone, you're gonna have a bad time. They of course offer upgrades, even allowing for the ultralight shallow spool from their high end KP reels to fit their entry level Concept A.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 am

I really want to try one out. And I will trick the crap out of it :D

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:01 am

They are good looking reels! What do they look like internally? How do they perform long term? How is the warranty?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Have the E and it's a sweet little reel. There's things I don't like, but no doubt it performs really well.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Having fished both the Concept A and C models, all I can say I was thoroughly impressed.

The whole experience was reminiscent of the first time I fished with a Daiwa Sol (except these reels are lighter in weight). Certainly put a smile on my face. My buddy and I exchanged comments like, "wow", "amazing" "what more can use ask of a reel". I honestly think that the Concepts cast farther than the Sol did on first use also.

With any product, each of us can nit pick things. I had a couple of things I wasn't crazy about with the Concept A and C, but nothing that would affect actual fishing of the reel. They are as follows:

The knobs felt strange. A little larger and harder than I expected. Did not feel as comfortable as Daiwa or Shimano knobs. They do however look very nice. Deal breaker..NO!

Adjusting the internal brakes, The side plate comes completely off (Daiwa Sol/Alphas does also, Shimano's doesn't). Wish it would stay attacked to the frame after opening. Deal Breaker -NO!

Internal brake adjustments require you use a finger nail to move the brake dial. My first attempt at was clumsy, later attempts were better but not optimal. Wished they had a larger protrusion to move the dial.

In the same way Shimano internals are set and forget, the Concepts can cover a full variety of fishing without having to adjust brakes constantly. Deal breaker - NO!

As far as long term survival of the reel. 13 Fishing guy have 30 some year in reel repair experience. Knowing the things they saw fail on reels they've repaired, they took effort to engineer those weak links out of the Concepts. How well they've done is yet to be seen, but knowing this going in, I'm more confident with a Concept than another reel start up company.

With their trick shop, they offer full customization of any reel in their line with parts and components from higher priced models. Extensive color palette is also impressive. Great for us "Fashionistas". :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:36 am

Waiting on a lefty. They may have won me over at Icast enough to actually try one out.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am

When they get a lefty, I would really like to try one. Wish I could get one by December to see how it holds up for 100 fish days of big hybrids and stripers. Are there saltwater versions?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am

Lefty reels are apparently coming with a new braking system and an attached sideplate. Should be awesome.