Shimano Stella Fi, any reviews?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Shimano Stella Fi, any reviews?

Post by Hyaweh » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:29 am

I'm looking for some reviews on the Shimano Stella Fi since I can't find much on the net. The reel itself came out for almost half a year now(ever since jdm release on february I think), yet reviews are very limited. Anyone have tried these reels mind to give me your thoughts?

If anyone tried the new Daiwa Morethan 2014 with new magseal, please compare or share your thoughts aswell.

Shock N Awe
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Stella Fi, any reviews?

Post by Shock N Awe » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:46 am

Im afraid you won't get much help from members on this forum. If your post topic was, "how many Stella Fi's do you own?" I am sure you will get a ton of replies with guys bragging how many they have.... :roll:

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

Hyaweh wrote:If anyone tried the new Daiwa Morethan 2014 with new magseal, please compare or share your thoughts aswell.
It's not out yet. It's due this summer, but Daiwa hasn't even published a full spec yet.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:44 pm

I presume the OP was asking about the Morethan spin reel. They have been available here in Australia for a short while. I have not used one due to stocking up on Stella FEs when they were on special. The original Morethans had mixed reviews here when used in saltwater but were fine (more than fine) in fresh.

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:46 am

Sore Thumb wrote:I presume the OP was asking about the Morethan spin reel. They have been available here in Australia for a short while. I have not used one due to stocking up on Stella FEs when they were on special. The original Morethans had mixed reviews here when used in saltwater but were fine (more than fine) in fresh.
Thanks for clarifying; I actually mean the spinning reel and not the baitcast.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 am

Hyaweh wrote:
Sore Thumb wrote:I presume the OP was asking about the Morethan spin reel. They have been available here in Australia for a short while. I have not used one due to stocking up on Stella FEs when they were on special. The original Morethans had mixed reviews here when used in saltwater but were fine (more than fine) in fresh.
Thanks for clarifying; I actually mean the spinning reel and not the baitcast.
My apologies then. I believe TT member kakaryan has one...

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:06 am

Shock N Awe wrote:Im afraid you won't get much help from members on this forum. If your post topic was, "how many Stella Fi's do you own?" I am sure you will get a ton of replies with guys bragging how many they have.... :roll:

So...why are you here again?

To the o.p., the shimano stella is a legendary spinning reel, and I'm sure the FI is no exception. The only complaints I've heard are that the aesthetics aren't as desirable as the FE. A minor con, in my opinion.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I find the FI much more pleasing to the eye than the previous generation. Nothing wrong with the FE model as it was a fine reel (as are all Stella's as you've already pointed out) but it just wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. I have the FD which I found to be the best looking Stella right up until I got my first good look at the FI.

Anyway I, like Hyaweh, am really looking forward to someone coming across with a thorough hands on, on the water, extended use review.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Gary from the Tackle Trap says its a major step forward from the FE if I recall.

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Bootytrain wrote:Gary from the Tackle Trap says its a major step forward from the FE if I recall.
''Major step forward from the FE'', these phrase means A LOT. If it really was a major step forward then I should really consider buying one..

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 pm

I dare you to pick one up and spin the handle for a few minutes. The nicest, most refined reel ever built.

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Function before form.

I have a 3000 and 4000 size. Use them in saltwater and have not had a problem with them yet. A lot smoother than the FE and the drags are ever so smooth.

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Thor wrote:I dare you to pick one up and spin the handle for a few minutes. The nicest, most refined reel ever built.
Don't worry, I will :lol:

Hyaweh
Angler
Angler

Post by Hyaweh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Rasputin wrote:Function before form.

I have a 3000 and 4000 size. Use them in saltwater and have not had a problem with them yet. A lot smoother than the FE and the drags are ever so smooth.
How is maintenance? Do u have lots of trouble doing maintenance? Also have u tried doing some freshwater fishing or finesse fishing with light lures?