Which Shimano shallow cranking reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which Shimano shallow cranking reel?

Post by legendaryyaj » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 pm

^Not saying your experiences aren't different, but when I lock down my drag like spooky mentioned, I don't feel the back play in the handle. If I loosen up the drag, it's there and it is horrible. If the reel fished that way even locked down, there's no way I would be fishing Shimano. Maybe it's less when locked down but it doesn't seem to bug the hell out of me.

I lock all my drags except for my reaction bait setups.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:58 am

John Puckett wrote:No it doesn't go away when the drag is adjusted.
You will have to turn the handle backwards in order to notice this when the drag is locked down.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:18 am

John Puckett wrote:
spookybaits wrote:
John Puckett wrote:Some of the newer generation Shimano reels are said to have gotten better with the handle play but to my knowledge any/all variations of the 50 sized E series Shimano's have the handle play. As I said to my knowledge they have this slight handle play. I'm not trying to lead you away from this reel I'm simply telling you this because I wouldn't want you to be disappointed in your purchase.

It seems like I remember reading a post not long ago where Bantam was discussing this very issue and the best I remember he said all Shimano's use IAR bearings from the same manufacturer so I don't really see the Scorpion or Aldebaran being any different in this regard than the Curado or Chronarch. Although I've been wrong before.
Funny thing about that handle play on shimanos- once you tighten down the drag to normal fishing levels it goes away. :whistle:
*Or maybe I've just been lucky with the 16 or so shimano bc reels I've owned...
Yeah I guess you have been. Don't try to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about when the Shimano rep that contributes to this forum has acknowledged the problem himself. No it doesn't go away when the drag is adjusted.
Dude, I'm not trying to imply anything. I'm just saying that when I tighten down the drag the backplay goes away. And I'm a guy who likes backplay.
Same on all my shimanos. Calais 100a, 200asv, core 100mg7, chronarch d5, d7, cu 50e, cu 200e. Maybe other models are worse?

I fish some really old reels that don't have instant anti-reverse, im hyper sensitive to it. I actually use it(feed line/slack) when fishing cranks/moving baits. So when I'm fishing moving baits with a shimano, when I stop a bait my natural instinct is to turn the handle backwards to feed a lil slack. If there was backplay I'd notice it. But Ive never detected any slop/backplay when my drag is buckled down tight in 'fishing mode'.

Ymmv

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:15 am

dragon1 wrote:
John Puckett wrote:No it doesn't go away when the drag is adjusted.
You will have to turn the handle backwards in order to notice this when the drag is locked down.
Some guys, for whatever reason, do this just to "test" to see if there is any play there at all. I got the impression that the op was this type fellow so I just wanted him to be aware that it would indeed be there, that's all.

spookybaits wrote:
John Puckett wrote:
spookybaits wrote:
John Puckett wrote:Some of the newer generation Shimano reels are said to have gotten better with the handle play but to my knowledge any/all variations of the 50 sized E series Shimano's have the handle play. As I said to my knowledge they have this slight handle play. I'm not trying to lead you away from this reel I'm simply telling you this because I wouldn't want you to be disappointed in your purchase.

It seems like I remember reading a post not long ago where Bantam was discussing this very issue and the best I remember he said all Shimano's use IAR bearings from the same manufacturer so I don't really see the Scorpion or Aldebaran being any different in this regard than the Curado or Chronarch. Although I've been wrong before.
Funny thing about that handle play on shimanos- once you tighten down the drag to normal fishing levels it goes away. :whistle:
*Or maybe I've just been lucky with the 16 or so shimano bc reels I've owned...
Yeah I guess you have been. Don't try to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about when the Shimano rep that contributes to this forum has acknowledged the problem himself. No it doesn't go away when the drag is adjusted.
Dude, I'm not trying to imply anything. I'm just saying that when I tighten down the drag the backplay goes away. And I'm a guy who likes backplay.
Same on all my shimanos. Calais 100a, 200asv, core 100mg7, chronarch d5, d7, cu 50e, cu 200e. Maybe other models are worse?

I fish some really old reels that don't have instant anti-reverse, im hyper sensitive to it. I actually use it(feed line/slack) when fishing cranks/moving baits. So when I'm fishing moving baits with a shimano, when I stop a bait my natural instinct is to turn the handle backwards to feed a lil slack. If there was backplay I'd notice it. But Ive never detected any slop/backplay when my drag is buckled down tight in 'fishing mode'.

Ymmv

It seemed to me that was what was being implied by the "smilie" that you included at the end. If I would only get a clue and adjust the drag properly the play would go away. I own a few Shimano's myself and they all, to some extent, suffer from this problem. It doesn't bother me in the least, and frankly I can't see why it does other guys because as you've pointed out it has absolutely zero affect on a persons actual fishing. My Curado 51E has very slight play when the drag is locked but never the less it is still there, my Calais DC has very slight play as does my Calcutta DC.

About the only Shimano I can say I own that doesn't have any discernible play is my Metanium XG which I've yet to even spool with line, it's still sitting new in it's box. It does feel solid as a rock though just playing around with it. My most solid feeling reel that I've actually put some hard miles on is my Curado 301E. This thing still has great IAR lockup, I can just barely feel the handle move backward ever so slightly. I guess this proves Shimano can do it it's just been my experience that the vast majority of the time they don't.

I'm not exactly sure at present how many Shimano's I have (I'd have to go count because I have to many in boxes that I forget about) but I've sold quite a few over the years as well, some I wish I hadn't, but the majority of the one's that have been through my hands have hand this "issue". As I said it doesn't bother me so to me it's a moot point but I know to others it is a rather big deal so let the debate rage on. I just wanted the op of this thread to be aware that more than like if he isn't extremely lucky if he goes with the 50 platform Shimano it's probably going to have a small amount of play if he's the type that's checking for it.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Backplay or not, I love my Conquest 51's for light cranking :D

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Conquest or Calcutta. The Calcutta 100 DC is very nice and priced less than the new Conquest. Love that DC whine \:D/

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:22 am

Wachtel wrote:Backplay or not, I love my Conquest 51's for light cranking :D
I agree 100% and I wish I was the proud owner of a Conquest 51 just so I would know the exact feeling. Hopefully Shimano will release the 50 size in the 14 Conquest line next year and I can get one of those.
USA-RET wrote:Conquest or Calcutta. The Calcutta 100 DC is very nice and priced less than the new Conquest. Love that DC whine \:D/
I don't have the 100 but I do have a 201 and I agree that DC sound is sweet.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

I think i'll be looking for a Conquest 51 for my shallower cranking. Seems to be a consensus you can't go wrong with that one as an all time classic! And it does look really nice to.