How do you palm a baitcasting reel?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

What is your primary method (75% or more of the time) of palming your baitcasters?

1. Method 1: I don't palm it, I just put my trigger finger on the trigger. Many of us fished for a the first time with a pistol grip rod and spincasting reel this way.
4%
2. Method 2: Two fingers in front of the trigger, thumb around the edge of the reel. Probably used most with round reels and 300/400 sized low profiles.
17%
3. Method 3: Three fingers in front of the trigger, thumb on the front hood of the reel frame. This is probably most common with 100/150 sized reels.
35%
4. Method 4: Three or Four fingers in front of the trigger, thumb on the front hood, index finger resting on the underside of the blank (or fore-grip). Guys with larger hands might like this method. Should be most optimal for rod balancing purposes as well.
15%
5. Method 5: Three or Four fingers in front of the trigger, thumb on the front hood, index finger on top of the blank either gripping the front of the reel or touching the line for extra sensitivity. Likely popular with jigs, t-rigs, and drop-shotting, maybe more.
18%
6. Method All: I change my palming constantly to fight fatigue, to best complement my current bait presentation, or just because my reels are all so different each requires a different grip for optimal comfort.
11%

Total votes: 82

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: How do you palm a baitcasting reel?

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 pm

panyafish wrote:Fatigue is definitely a big problem for me. I find myself constantly changing my grip as the day wears on. I've actually thought about learning to use left handed reels just to change things up :( .
I did that when I developed tendonitis in my left forearm/elbow, and couldn't work a jerkbait with my left hand. It wasn't hard to switch, since I still cast right handed. Funny thing was when I finished laying some brick paving at my house, the tendonitis went away! :lol:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:13 am

davej, you're actually missing one: it's a variation of method #5 except that the middle finger is over the rod instead of under it. seems really strange to me as that grip only has the ring finger and the pinky holding the rod but at least two of the guys on major league fishing hold it that way (can't remember their names).

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:46 am

number 2 for me.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:58 am

3 when i crank using my right hand, 5 when i do tip up presentations using my left hand for sensitivity

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:dragon1, that is an impressive 5 on a bigZ. My hands aren't nearly big enough to do that comfortably. Had to sell my Z because of it.

DaveJ
My hands/palms are about average, but have long fingers. I really learned to use different finger and hand/wrist angles/arrangements to wield weapons, ie, wooden battle stick, knives and short swords...really helped me to handle bigger reels for sure.

Nothing beats out youth and young body parts for all day durability and comfort, my friend! :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 am

I checked how my fingers relate to the trigger yesterday, and they are in front of it, but I have small hands. I'm 5'9", and go 160lbs, soaking wet. My fishing partner is 6'4", and goes 250 lbs, down from 300. He jokes that, in the last year, he has lost a small child. He has huge hands, and, even though he also passes the line over his index finger, he has at least one, and lot of times two fingers behind the trigger, depending on the reel seat.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 pm

21farms wrote:davej, you're actually missing one: it's a variation of method #5 except that the middle finger is over the rod instead of under it. seems really strange to me as that grip only has the ring finger and the pinky holding the rod but at least two of the guys on major league fishing hold it that way (can't remember their names).
I have never seen anyone hold that way. I would add it, but I'm afraid it would reset the entire poll.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
21farms wrote:davej, you're actually missing one: it's a variation of method #5 except that the middle finger is over the rod instead of under it. seems really strange to me as that grip only has the ring finger and the pinky holding the rod but at least two of the guys on major league fishing hold it that way (can't remember their names).
I have never seen anyone hold that way. I would add it, but I'm afraid it would reset the entire pole.

DaveJ
i've done it this way before but only a couple of times.

thaos95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by thaos95 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 am

Number 4 for me

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 am

usually 2.. sometimes 3 ......... when going into long periods on the water Ill start changing the grip to all types of strange positions like #1.. probably due to fatigue

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:38 am

87tpita wrote:usually 2.. sometimes 3 ......... when going into long periods on the water Ill start changing the grip to all types of strange positions like #1.. probably due to fatigue
Yeah, at the beginning of the day I'm a 3 for sure, but as my hands and fingers get a little sore and fatigue sets in I will notice that I start randomly holding things differently for a few casts just to use a different muscle for a bit.

It sounds like a lot of people palm differently depending on the reel or technique instead of forcing a specific grip for everything. Certainly makes sense. I know I hold my Lexa 300 (2) differently than my Zillion/TDZ/T3B (3) and my Viento (5), but I have to remind myself to switch the grip on the Lexa and Viento because I want to grab them in hold 3 naturally.

DaveJ

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:24 am

Method 2 for me

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:22 am

Method 3 for me. All my reels are 150 or 200 size.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 am

I use #2 and especially for pitching. I can pitch and retrieve with our repositioning my hand.

Frank