Reel setting for powerful cast?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Reel setting for powerful cast?

Post by kakaryan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 am

Hi casting masters, :D

My reels are all Daiwa's mag brake. For "normal fishing" (casting baits around 1/2oz and less) I usually don't use the tension knob at all. Set it all loose without touching the spool and only use the mag. brake dial to control the spool. With a gentle overhead or sidearm cast, the lures fly.

Recently I spend more time into powerful casting. Casting 1/2oz up to get maximum distance. I really need to make powerful overhead cast to give the lure enough speed and energy. But as the initial spool speed is very fast, it gets backlash easily. I need to pay close attention to thumb the spool.

Later, I try to use the tension knob. Set it tighter so when free spool the lure slowly falling onto the ground. I then make a powerful cast. This prevent the initial backlash which I don't have to thumb the spool, yet it casts as far as setting tension knob loose and using thumb.

I find the reel settings for "normal casting" and "powerful casting" are a bit different. Before that, I always believe that if someone's casting skill is good, he could set the tension knob loose to achieve maximum distance. The tension knob is only for newbie to prevent backlash. But now in powerful casting, it seems that the tension knob is really useful.

Any thoughts? How do you set your reel for "normal casting" and "powerful casting"?

And if there is any other way or tips to achieve even further casting distance? I always read people claiming casting a 3/8oz plug 60m, or a 1/2oz vib 80m. Don't know if it's actual measured distance or sight distance though. Myself can't. Casting a 1/2oz vib is about 50m for me.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel setting for powerful cast?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:08 am

For me, longest casts are achieved by:

- Rod length

- Streamlined lure with little air/wind resistance

- Line that is pliable/manageable, but not necessarily overly limp as to cause tangles

- Deeper spool that has some weight to it, as to keep inertia longer, as well as provide more line length out per revolution.

- Quality spool bearings

- Practice to set-up properly and wield effectively by end user

Your mileage may vary of course! 8-)

FWIW, I can cast a 1oz Hopkins on my Seeker CBC 807F with 30lb braid + tuned Daiwa PT33SH so far...I get tired of winding it back in! Haha... :big grin:

BTW, I set the mag between 3-4 and tighten the CCC to the point where there is no spool movement. With a 1oz spoon, I don't worry about lure fall rate when the thumbar is depressed...it would require a very tight CCC to slow down a 1oz anything.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:40 am

Doesn´t the "power" come from your testicles ? :-k in Mexico we call them "huevos" , so powerful cast means you should cast with huevos, the more the better. \:D/

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:58 am

For 'balls to the wall' power casts(sweet spot 1/2 oz),I find the ZPI MG spools very hard to beat.As with you, mechanical break is virtually non existent.Will go as low as mag setting 2 without any problems.Favorite reel for this has to be a TD-Z on a 7'3" MH rod.Can bomb a spinnerbait further than any of those fancy T-wing reels :lol:
20lb/30lb suffix is first choice.Samurai simply offers the occasional launch into oblivion :?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 am

Everything else being equal >>> longer rod and bigger huevos always gets the job done better! 8-)

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:51 am

Hi africanbass,

I have taken your advice and have got a RC-001 spool. Haven't had time to cast it yet though. Can't wait.

So even for powerful long distance cast you guys do not use the tension knob at all?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 am

I do use the tension knob, but I do not set it whereas the lure drops at a "slow or deliberate pace". I set it right at the edge of where the spool has zero to very slight play.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50 am

You must have great thumb Dragon. :lol:

I need to tighten the tension knob a bit more when making powerful long cast, than normal casting, which I found easier to cast without sacrificing distance.

I remember Carlos had a post talking this issue, he set his tension knob tighter for his HLC or PE Zillion.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm with you kakaryan, if I plan on whipping some casts I have to tighten the cast control dial significantly. When I don't I have to remind my self long and smooth for distance or I will always get a bad backlash or two when I see a spot just out of reach and try to give it a bit extra.

DaveJ

RichWentFishing504
Angler
Angler

Post by RichWentFishing504 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Try starting off with the mag control at half way and start experimenting with the cast control knob. Once you get the hang of it you can back off on the tension and rely a lot more on your thumb.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:38 pm

I use all Daiwa and I am usually power casting.

If you don't want to use your thumb a bunch - turn the mags off, set the tension knob so there is no left to right play on your spool, and then crank the mags up to about 15 to start and then keep backing the mags off to get maximum distance without backlashing. FWIW the Tatulas are the most forgiving reels that I have used from Daiwa. (I have not used an SV spool yet either though.)

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:20 pm

STEEZMAN2 wrote:I use all Daiwa and I am usually power casting.

If you don't want to use your thumb a bunch - turn the mags off, set the tension knob so there is no left to right play on your spool, and then crank the mags up to about 15 to start and then keep backing the mags off to get maximum distance without backlashing. FWIW the Tatulas are the most forgiving reels that I have used from Daiwa. (I have not used an SV spool yet either though.)
Most of my Daiwa reels only go to 10. :big grin: My 4 newer reels are T3 1016 variants. When I first got them I kept lowering the brakes until I was on Longcast with zero brakes with the spool set for fast descent. These are the only reels I can set like that without seriously overruning or backlashing. That includes reels with at least 5 different braking systems. What I found was that I could get about the same distance on Maxbrake and 4-5 on the brake setting without ever having to worry about fluffing.

Last time I was out with one throwing a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait I ended up on Allround and zero brakes. I think the rod has some affect on brake settings. This reel is on an Airrus XL Ultra MH composite rod. Also it seems to me that some days I am in better form that at other times, and can use less braking.

EDIT: I agree....Dragon and some other guys have seriously educated thumbs. =D>

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:14 pm

dragon1 wrote:I do use the tension knob, but I do not set it whereas the lure drops at a "slow or deliberate pace". I set it right at the edge of where the spool has zero to very slight play.
x2

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:29 am

Your "opposable member" will always be the king of cast control. 8-)

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:14 am

kakaryan wrote:Hi africanbass,

I have taken your advice and have got a RC-001 spool. Haven't had time to cast it yet though. Can't wait.

So even for powerful long distance cast you guys do not use the tension knob at all?
I usually tighten till there is no lateral movement of the spool and click one back(all my reels)
With the ZPI spools I click 2 back so the spool actually has a bit of movement.
I discovered this by accident.A friend of mine damaged 2 of his ZPI spool shafts by over tightening the ccc on his Steez.The ceramic CCC shaft actually ground out an indentation on the end of the aluminum spool shaft.He wanted to toss the spools away,I grabbed them and gave the 'no contact' ccc setting a go :lol: