Daiwa 3D brake system

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa 3D brake system

Post by Bass1980 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 am

I love their 3D braking system and seems like everyone loves it too. I'm just wondering why Daiwa hasn't added this feature to any of their newer reels? With Daiwa dropping the T3 and Z I believe there will be no more 3D braking reel. I was suprise the new Zillion didn't come with it. Crossing fingers when ever there is a new Steez it'll have it.

What's everyones thought on this?

brighamvang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa 3D brake system

Post by brighamvang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:57 am

I cant see why I cant be done, with the new Zillion utilizing Zaion side plate, it'll be a matter of time for Daiwa to cast a Zaion side plate to house the 3D braking and call it the new T3-TWS.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

Best, most precise and adjustable mag braking system Daiwa ever put out for FW...Z2020s/Z200s rock with this braking system.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:59 am

brighamvang wrote:I cant see why I cant be done, with the new Zillion utilizing Zaion side plate, it'll be a matter of time for Daiwa to cast a Zaion side plate to house the 3D braking and call it the new T3-TWS.
I believe the new Zillion, the Z, and the T3s all have graphite palm side plates. I've always wondered why Daiwa doesn't make them out of Zaion on their high end reels. I guess cost savings. I wonder how much extra space is required to make it fit. The T3s don't have very large side plates.

DaveJ

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Am I the only one that find 3D far too strong?
I set my reels om "long cast" and move between 0.5-3 on both my Z2020 and FX68 with different both with original spools or with SV-spools in the FX. Does anyone use "max brake" and if so, when do you need it?

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:53 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
brighamvang wrote:I cant see why I cant be done, with the new Zillion utilizing Zaion side plate, it'll be a matter of time for Daiwa to cast a Zaion side plate to house the 3D braking and call it the new T3-TWS.
I believe the new Zillion, the Z, and the T3s all have graphite palm side plates. I've always wondered why Daiwa doesn't make them out of Zaion on their high end reels. I guess cost savings. I wonder how much extra space is required to make it fit. The T3s don't have very large side plates.

DaveJ
Zaion isn't expensive. It is a carbon reinforced plastic. Same as CI4/ CI4+ or whatever else the cookie cutters also call their carbon.

The fibres are just mixed with the resin unaligned and injected. I am surprised the there is no Mag 3D reels left in production...the extra parts on them would be a much larger expense than using zaion on a sideplate.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 pm

ninjaman wrote:Am I the only one that find 3D far too strong?
I set my reels om "long cast" and move between 0.5-3 on both my Z2020 and FX68 with different both with original spools or with SV-spools in the FX. Does anyone use "max brake" and if so, when do you need it?
This is a really good question :big grin: . I can't imagine any conditions that would require the max settings, and I'm not sure you could cast but 20 feet with it set this way. Never tried it. With standard Magforce Z reels I've used I can't set the dial to 1 and make a sturdy cast without some level of "fluff", leading to potential disaster. With both my T3 reels I can set it at the lowest settings, bomb cast, and not need any thumb until splash down. Maybe the braking is a little strong, or maybe it's just right :-k ? At any rate I think 2D would be adequate. No need for the max setting IMO. 10 notches on the dial rather than 20 would be fine by me as well. Perhaps we will get ultra lucky and see this braking system in the new Alphas SV. I'll be 1st in line if that's the case. Right behind Tim of course :lol: . At any rate I certainly hope the T3 wasn't the last we'll see of 3D.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 am

Yeah I have to agree.With a barely there CCC setting I usually end up on setting 3 (allround mode)
I find this equates to the 5-3(mag setting) zone on a Steez.
If I have a bit of wind on my back I will drop it into longcast mode.
I spend 95% of my casting time in allround mode.
So personally I find 3D braking a bit of a waste :-k

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 am

Interesting. I keep mine on all around if it's windy. Or with less aerodynamic baits, dial set on 5 or 6. Otherwise I'm always in long cast.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:36 am

I haven't had the pleasure of using the T3 1016, but the T3 Ballistic struggles on long cast mode unless you have a tail wind. The max brake is pretty much required with the wind in your face. I also had to use max brake to get a ZPI spool to fit in the T3B. It works much better (even forced on max brake) than the stock spool.

DaveJ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:27 am

I use longcast nearly all the time on my Z2020H...and I find the 3D works very well. I only switch to all around when I start casting to shoreline from a boat and don't want to change my "swing/casting" speed. Helps to keep lure from over-shooting target.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 am

dragon1 wrote:I use longcast nearly all the time on my Z2020H...and I find the 3D works very well. I only switch to all around when I start casting to shoreline from a boat and don't want to change my "swing/casting" speed. Helps to keep lure from over-shooting target.
That is exact same thing I do....Open water bomb casts on long cast mode.....to bank..all around...i figured that out pretty quick.

In fact my mag brake dial stays on 3 at all times...have never moved it...since day 1.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
This is a really good question :big grin: . I can't imagine any conditions that would require the max settings, and I'm not sure you could cast but 20 feet with it set this way. Never tried it. With standard Magforce Z reels I've used I can't set the dial to 1 and make a sturdy cast without some level of "fluff", leading to potential disaster. With both my T3 reels I can set it at the lowest settings, bomb cast, and not need any thumb until splash down. Maybe the braking is a little strong, or maybe it's just right :-k ? At any rate I think 2D would be adequate. No need for the max setting IMO. 10 notches on the dial rather than 20 would be fine by me as well. Perhaps we will get ultra lucky and see this braking system in the new Alphas SV. I'll be 1st in line if that's the case. Right behind Tim of course :lol: . At any rate I certainly hope the T3 wasn't the last we'll see of 3D.
I tested a couple T3 1016s on the same afternoon (standard and M3). First let me admit that I have nowhere near the casting ability of you guys. Casting conditions were excellent. What I found was I could cast with zero brakes on Longcast. I absolutely can not cast any other reel with zero brakes no matter which other braking system it uses. However...."fluffing" was a given.

I felt Maxbrake with zero on the dial gave basically the same distance, but with no "fluffing". I have to add brakes under less than ideal conditions....anywhere from 3 to 8. Don't believe I have ever tried 20 yet....or even 10. If I remember correctly, the addition of brakes under ideal conditions results in casts requiring no thumb at the end of the cast.

I like 3D and hope Daiwa continues to use it. And not just in high end reels. It would make a superior braking system for the "once a month or so" fishermen giving them confidence to try baitcast reels. Sure could have used one when I was learning to cast. :big grin:

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:03 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I tested a couple T3 1016s on the same afternoon (standard and M3). First let me admit that I have nowhere near the casting ability of you guys. Casting conditions were excellent. What I found was I could cast with zero brakes on Longcast. I absolutely can not cast any other reel with zero brakes no matter which other braking system it uses. However...."fluffing" was a given.

I felt Maxbrake with zero on the dial gave basically the same distance, but with no "fluffing". I have to add brakes under less than ideal conditions....anywhere from 3 to 8. Don't believe I have ever tried 20 yet....or even 10. If I remember correctly, the addition of brakes under ideal conditions results in casts requiring no thumb at the end of the cast.

I like 3D and hope Daiwa continues to use it. And not just in high end reels. It would make a superior braking system for the "once a month or so" fishermen giving them confidence to try baitcast reels. Sure could have used one when I was learning to cast. :big grin:

More 3 D reels...I agree and for this exact reason...these are the larger portion of Daiwa's customer base...

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:54 pm

After using 2 of the t3 reels and a z2020h I have to agree with what many people have suggested before and that is a Z1016 would be a much coveted reel if it were ever to be produced even though I don't hold much hope of that, can only dream. Or even make the t3 out of alloy, just the frame and handle side plate the hood and palming plate could still be zaion.