Curado I or Chronarch E

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Curado I or Chronarch E

Post by mundo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 am

A friend of my son asked for advice as he is going to buy a new reel, he is considering the Curado I or the Chronarch E (or curado E as I understand). He has a Curado G that I used I tried the other day and I was not that impresed. Since I do not own either reel I am seeking TT advice.

Thanks

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado I or Chronarch E

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 am

The E is much more user friendly, and I find it casts much better than the I as well. I would take the E every time.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 am

I haven't had a chance to fish the Cruado I yet, but just holding it in my hands and comparing it to the Curado Es that I have...I have the say that the Curado E/Chronarch E feel so much better. They just feel more solid...but again, I haven't fished my Curado I yet.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:53 pm

the curado I is better in everyway, to the e series, smoother on the retrieve ,casting distance is better,and the new braking system once you get use to it handles the wind better then the old vbs. plus the power this reel has underload when fighting a fight is noticeably better due to the x ship design.
Last edited by phatbass on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:39 am

X-ship would be a nice addition to the Chronarch 50e series, but other than that I wouldn't trade my Chronarch 51e for a Curado I

oe

Keepinitreelfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by Keepinitreelfishing » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:18 am

As an owner of both I have to vote for the Chronarch E. I think a lot of people assume that newer = better, but that is certainly not always the case.

Let me be clear...both reels work just fine. There is no deficiency to the Curado I. But, from a TackleTour enthusiast perspective the Chronarch is without question smoother.

X-Ship is a cool name, and who can argue an extra bearing providing support. But, in practical terms of fishing and the feel of the reel is doesn't make a difference. How many fish do you attribute losing on other reels because your pinion gear was not supported by a second bearing? Rhetorical question. None...of course.

I was legitimately excited about the SVS system and from an engineering standpoint it stands to reason having the ability to fine tune the braking should no doubt make for the longest cast possible (VS only have 6 pins of the Chronarch's VBS system). Again, in practice I can see no difference what so ever. Both cast very well.

The Curado is a very small reel. If you prefer small size in hand then certainly the Curado is your reel. Otherwise, they both do the job and do it well. But, having fished them side by side now many times the Chronarch feels in hand like the more precise instrument of the two.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 am

Keepinitreelfishing wrote:As an owner of both I have to vote for the Chronarch E. I think a lot of people assume that newer = better, but that is certainly not always the case.

Let me be clear...both reels work just fine. There is no deficiency to the Curado I. But, from a TackleTour enthusiast perspective the Chronarch is without question smoother.

X-Ship is a cool name, and who can argue an extra bearing providing support. But, in practical terms of fishing and the feel of the reel is doesn't make a difference. How many fish do you attribute losing on other reels because your pinion gear was not supported by a second bearing? Rhetorical question. None...of course.

I was legitimately excited about the SVS system and from an engineering standpoint it stands to reason having the ability to fine tune the braking should no doubt make for the longest cast possible (VS only have 6 pins of the Chronarch's VBS system). Again, in practice I can see no difference what so ever. Both cast very well.

The Curado is a very small reel. If you prefer small size in hand then certainly the Curado is your reel. Otherwise, they both do the job and do it well. But, having fished them side by side now many times the Chronarch feels in hand like the more precise instrument of the two.
I have to disagree the x ship feature makes the reel smoother underload and in general,I use alot of high end tackle and these new curado i are what made try the curado again.from a design stand point alone there better then the older series.imo
Last edited by phatbass on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 am

It depends on the intended use of the reel. I’ve used the Chronarch E, Curado E and the Curado I extensively for inshore fishing and for that purpose the second bearing supporting the pinion gear of the Curado I (X-Ship) can make the difference between the gears binding or continuing to crank a larger Redfish. It matters. I have had the gears bind on the two other reels without X-Ship. Even with the drag tightened down, as line continued to leave the spool the reels were not strong enough to crank (without risking breaking the reel) or to crank fast enough to keep up with the outgoing line. For freshwater bass fishing, the Chronarch E is a fine and dependable reel. But the more expensive Ci4+ is far better than any of the three.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 am

I have a Curado E (essentially the same as the Chronarch E) and the Curado I.

Both are great reels and are better than the curado G. For me, the Curado I is hands down better that the Chronarch E. I find the retrieve to be smoother, can guarantee casting is better once you get it setup right and as said before, has a smaller profile to make it easier to palm. The curado I to me is about the same size a chronarch 50e.

Xship makes a big difference when fighting fish as well as making the reel feel more rigid and I can't get enough of the new breaking system.

Adam

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:52 pm

always fascinates me how 2 reels used in two different hands can feel so different but i guess that's where personal preference comes in. what's "smooth" to one person might not be the case for the other; same with the sensitivity of a rod.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:26 am

own both and love both but for what you can find the Is for it makes it a very easy choice

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:34 am

Love my chronarch 200E but the new Curado I is better. Smoother, cast better, and has more adjustments. I like it so much I sold my two chronarch 200Es for Curado I's. After flushing the bearing and adding a drop of Alchemy oil it is even smoother than my chronarch ci4+, which I flushed too. If the Curado was around 6.5 oz or came with an option of the 50 size I would have 6 of them. The only shimano reel I like more than the Curado I is my little magic wonder reel the Chronarch 50e.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 am

I'd take a Curado I over a Chronarch E. While the Chronarch E does feel 'solid', the Curado I casts better and feels better on the retrieve to me.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Ill take a 50e over and I any day.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Interesting to see this so divided. Going to have to snag and "I model" to see where I am at on this.