knob replacement

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

knob replacement

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 am

I have several Chronarch MG 50 reels, and some Quantum and Lew's reels, that need new knobs.
The Chronarchs are riveted, but the others can be removed and replaced.
The knobs that need replacing are soft rubber, and worn.
What can I replace them with that will still be soft, but hold up better?

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: knob replacement

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:33 am

Mark, I'm not sure about Quantum's reels, but I'm pretty sure lews reels will accept any Abu and some BPS knobs. Also, if you check out the supertuning and maintenance threads, it seems that Semper Fi tackle has come up with a solution to help you fit Shimano knobs on Abu handles.

As for the Chronarch MG handles, if you're willing to spend an extra couple of dollars, you can get a complete handle assembly from another Shimano reel (my choice would be the Core 100mg7 handle, 85mm and 2 possible bearings per knob) and it will fit your Chronarch reels perfectly.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:36 am

The power septons are the most comfortable knobs on th market ;) and the are easy and cheap upgrade for the 50mg. But I would order a handle from the curado E7 because it's 84mm comes with a bearings per and has the power septons on it. Cheap upgrade

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks. You guys are amazing! It's like having Google for reel parts, but having it do a smart search.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:25 am

mark, as facelessnewsouth said, abu and bps knobs will fit your lew's handle. however, the only way to fit shimano knobs on your lews reels would be to change out the knob shafts which i don't think is possible with factory handles.

regarding your chronarch 50MG, IIRC, the knobs are indeed riveted so your best bet will be buy a complete shimano handle assembly from tackletrap. also, IIRC, the core 100MGFV handle is short, 80mm instead of 84mm. semper fi does sell an item called the 'barrier breaker' that will allow you to install daiwa, lews, bps, quantum, and abu handles on your shimano.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:10 am

Again, thank you so much. As soon as the holidays are over, I'm going to hunt down both knob and handle replacements!

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:13 am

21farms wrote:however, the only way to fit shimano knobs on your lews reels would be to change out the knob shafts which i don't think is possible with factory handles.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60763 :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:53 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:
21farms wrote:however, the only way to fit shimano knobs on your lews reels would be to change out the knob shafts which i don't think is possible with factory handles.
I contacted Benson. Thanks.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:15 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
awesome...thanks for the link! =D>