Revo Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Revo Premier

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Having never used one, I'm looking for opinions from those that have. Which version of the Abu Premier do you feel was the best?

oe

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Revo Premier

Post by tywithay » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 pm

I thought the Gen2 was far superior to both Gen1 and Gen3. The paint on it sucked, but the performance was great. Since the Gen3 reels were released, I have moved on to other companies that I feel offer better products on the whole.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:01 pm

tywithay wrote:I thought the Gen2 was far superior to both Gen1 and Gen3. The paint on it sucked, but the performance was great. Since the Gen3 reels were released, I have moved on to other companies that I feel offer better products on the whole.
How did Gen2 differ from Gen1?

oe

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:01 pm

tywithay wrote:I thought the Gen2 was far superior to both Gen1 and Gen3. The paint on it sucked, but the performance was great. Since the Gen3 reels were released, I have moved on to other companies that I feel offer better products on the whole.
+100

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:01 am

Gen 1 is magnetic brake only. Gen 2 is dual brake. Gen 2 has a stronger drag if I remember correctly. I believe the Gen 2 has some gold trim.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 am

I still have 2 gen 1's and 2 gen 2's. I likely baby my gear and I only fish about 15-20 days a year. That said, mine are in like new shape and have been great.

The Gen 1's are wonderful for Lipless cranks and cranks. They cast a mile. They do not have big drag power but for moving baits that is not needed. Gen 1 does not pitch as well as Gen 2.

The Gen 2's I use for just about anything. They have the dual brake arrangement and a handle design I like better. Slighly heavier reel. They pitch a little better then Gen1. Much more powerful drag on this reel then gen1.

Both have served me very well. None of them do I use in light lure pitching situations. I have some Shimano's that are better for that. I also find in either model on high wind days throwing say a buzzbait I'd prefer the old Shimano braking system.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Another +. AG really messed up with the Gen3 reel. The Gen2 reel was SUCH a hit. The forums were alive with mostly glowing comments on them. Now almost nobody talks about them. I'd love to see the sales figures on the Gen2 vs Gen3. I keep hoping they'll go back to the Gen2 and give it a little finish.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:26 am

jeb wrote:
Another +. AG really messed up with the Gen3 reel. The Gen2 reel was SUCH a hit. The forums were alive with mostly glowing comments on them. Now almost nobody talks about them. I'd love to see the sales figures on the Gen2 vs Gen3. I keep hoping they'll go back to the Gen2 and give it a little finish.
The Gen2 reels are the reels I most regret having sold.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:45 am

Love my gen 2's. Never tried the gen 3's because there were so many terrible reviews. Finish durability on gen 2's is definitely not good. I don't fish that often but one of my tournament friends says that his gen 2's have not held up as well as his Chronarchs.

carbonduke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carbonduke » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:52 am

If you could buy a Daiwa or Shimano, why even bother with Abu Garcia? I know people like to think of them as they were the reel of choice back in the days, however times are changing. They have been left in the dust by the two japanese giant. In every category there are number of better options from the two.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:32 am

carbonduke wrote:If you could buy a Daiwa or Shimano, why even bother with Abu Garcia? I know people like to think of them as they were the reel of choice back in the days, however times are changing. They have been left in the dust by the two japanese giant. In every category there are number of better options from the two.
when the Revos came out Daiwa had an "uninspired" at best lineup in the 150 range. Their better reels in this category had been closed out and customers were left with the HSTA (ooh, ooh, and the Aggrest) and not much else to compete with the SX/STX and street price of the Premier.

And the doyo reels are totally decent. There's SO many of them that it is nauseating now, but when the Revo was competing with the Curado D and HSTA, the better ergonomics and performance of the original Revo (what it took to grab market share for the 2nd gen) was quite competitive.

With the release of the Curado E and I series, I think some of that has gone away, and the Gen 3 Revos are a turd and lost a lot of momentum to Lews, which is essentially a gen 2 Revo is most models.

I'm one of the few who LOVED the Gen 1 Revo Premiers even compared to 2. I like them a lot better than a 2/3 Premier when distance casting moving baits.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 am

I had similar questions awhile back and if you search some of the same comments have been stated than as they are now. What's amazing is almost no one spoke about gen 1 stx compared to the premier.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 am

taylor5877 wrote:
I'm one of the few who LOVED the Gen 1 Revo Premiers even compared to 2. I like them a lot better than a 2/3 Premier when distance casting moving baits.

I love the Gen1 for distance casting as well and at the time was the only full size reel I can recall at less then 6.5oz. My drags on that reel are being updated this week and with bit more drag power it will continue to make one great Trap reel.

I'm not able to say I like the gen 1 better then 2 because the 2 is more versitle. That said, for throwing a DD22, Trap, or Sammy 85 the Gen1 performs as well as any reel I have owned or tested. And importantly, it is light and it has plenty of line capacity. Ergonomics work for me as well as any reel I own.