cleaning and maintaining spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

cleaning and maintaining spinning reels

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:44 am

What do you guys do for annual spinning reel care? I've finished all my baitcasters and reel cleaning/repair has been pretty addicting for me this winter. I have all shimano 2500 or 3000 size spools. Looked for info on the web but didn't find as much good info like I did for casting reels. Also I have a symetre that on a hard cast the bail closes, guessing I need a new bail spring? I have a few daiwa spinning reels but gave up on them as the anti reverse bearing doesn't work in cold weather. Has been a daiwa problem for a long time.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: cleaning and maintaining spinning reels

Post by karirick » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:07 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:What do you guys do for annual spinning reel care? I've finished all my baitcasters and reel cleaning/repair has been pretty addicting for me this winter. I have all shimano 2500 or 3000 size spools. Looked for info on the web but didn't find as much good info like I did for casting reels. Also I have a symetre that on a hard cast the bail closes, guessing I need a new bail spring? I have a few daiwa spinning reels but gave up on them as the anti reverse bearing doesn't work in cold weather. Has been a daiwa problem for a long time.

I keep hearing of the cold weather Daiwa issue, I hope the Certates I have bought for when I move back to Washington State don't have issues, as I will be fishing them in Winter for Walleye??

Rick

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 pm

karirick wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:What do you guys do for annual spinning reel care? I've finished all my baitcasters and reel cleaning/repair has been pretty addicting for me this winter. I have all shimano 2500 or 3000 size spools. Looked for info on the web but didn't find as much good info like I did for casting reels. Also I have a symetre that on a hard cast the bail closes, guessing I need a new bail spring? I have a few daiwa spinning reels but gave up on them as the anti reverse bearing doesn't work in cold weather. Has been a daiwa problem for a long time.

I keep hearing of the cold weather Daiwa issue, I hope the Certates I have bought for when I move back to Washington State don't have issues, as I will be fishing them in Winter for Walleye??

Rick
I went to a heavier oil on my Tournament ZC-1500 and it helped the slipping IAR bearing issue. I have not had any sense of the IAR wanting to slip in cold weather with ANY Certate I have owned:

1st Gen: 2506, 2004, 2500R

13 Certate 2510R-PE

Sorry I can't be of help with the spinning reel maintenance.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I do complete tear downs of the reels to individual parts. Clean them, relube as needed and put them back together.

If you have a bail that closes on a hard cast I would not think it was the bail spring. I'd think you had a bail spring problem if it did not close when you wanted it to. If it closes on a hard cast try tightening the two screws, one on each side of the rotor that the bail pivots on. Sometimes those work themselves loose making the bail too loose. Tightening them may prevent the bail from closing on a hard cast. But don't over tighten them either. Just make sure they are snug and don't force it. Just turn until it stops on its own without force and see how that does. Sometimes they can be too tight and loosening those screws up a tad can solve the problem.

I live in central Florida so I can not really answer about your AR problem except to say that as long as you use a lubricant in the AR bearing that does not thicken up when it gets colder, then it should continue to work fine.

In order for an AR bearing to operate correctly the needle bearings have to be able to move into a certain position in order to work properly, and sometimes thick or heavy grease can prevent that from happening causing slippage. So I have always been told do not use grease on AR bearings, only use an oil for lubrication, and in your case of living where it is cold, I would flush out any old lubrication and go with something that will not change viscosity as the temperature drops.

Here in Florida I have to be more concerned about corrosion due to higher salt content problems, so I have always used corrosion X in my AR bearings and I have never had one slip or fail ever. In fact I have never had to replace one in any of my spinning reels or baitcast reels and some of them are now well over ten years old and still going strong.

I am not sure of whether or not corrosion x will stay at the same viscosity at lower temps, but it might be worth a shot at finding out.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 am

For some reason the perception seems to be spinners are more complex and difficult to break down and build again properly, perhaps that's one reason not as much information on servicing them is available. Spinners suffer from the same issues casting reels do - usually they are way over lubed from the factory. Bails and the related hardware used on them are more exposed to the elements as opposed to components inside of the body which are relatively safe from the outside world. They do need a bit of extra attention, but it can be done if you pay attention to detail.

First, if you have the schematics and access to a Xerox machine that can enlarge, make blown up copies. They're easier to read and jot notes/sketches on.

An egg carton or ice cube tray is good for storing parts as you disassemble. You can even number the individual compartments and assign matching #'s to the various parts to help you keep track of their location.

When taking a bail apart, work inside of a large 2 gallon clear zip lock bag, so if a spring let's go it won't fly off to regions unknown. Same goes for assembly also.

As you take things apart, examine each and every part, screw, washer, shim, spacer, etc. for minute details and note the orientation and order of each and every one of them. Most schematics don't get down to this level of detail, so digital pictures or sketches are your only way back. There is no such thing as an insignificant detail. Take the time to do this now, it will be worth it.

Be careful as tiny shims and washers often have a coating of grease on them which causes them to stick to other parts. This is especially true of nylon parts, which are almost clear in their appearance.

One last thing about AR bearings, as has been mentioned already by Cagey - after a thorough cleaning, install them dry. If you insist on lubing it, a micro coating of oil (NEVER grease) applied with a Q Tip is all it will need.

And most important don't forget the tiny bearing or bushing within the line roller on the bail. It's probably the most exposed bearing on the reel and one of the most neglected. Check it by stretching a rubber band over the roller and moving it back and forth - the roller should move freely. If not, you'll get line twist.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 am

=D> Great advice guys!

A lot of people are more intimidated by spinning reel maintenance, but as mentioned, it's really not much more difficult from casting reel maintenance. Just remember where parts go (take notes!), clean and re lube correctly, and replace the pieces properly, and your spinning reel will be good to go. My lone spinner (Abu Soron STX 20) is over three years old, and with regular maintenance is still as smooth as the day I got it, after some hard use in both salt and fresh water. The one I had before this one (Shimano Sahara FB) was maintained in the same manner, and is still in use by the individual I gave it to. The first time tearing it down is obviously gonna be the most difficult, but after that, it's smooth sailing.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:38 am

On the anti-reverse bearing, they're often included in the bearing count in marketing material, but they are nothing like a ball bearing. They do nothing to provide a smooth retrieve and do not provide support to the shaft that goes through them. Their only function is to stop that shaft from turning backward. Just look at the schematics and you'll see that there's always a ball bearing at one end of the ARB.

If you examine them, you'll see that all they do is jam the rollers between the shaft and a tapered face when you try to turn them backward. If you oil or grease you're reducing the available friction that is used to stop the shaft spinning backward. If you can't stand not lubing them, use the lightest oil you can talk yourself into.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:36 am

Good topic, does anyone have a link with pictures on spinning reel maintenance?
I wish there was one on tackletour here.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 am

I have a couple of Fuego's that don't see much use. I clean and maintain the exterior only and have not had problems. Again, I don't use them much so even though they are 4+ old they still run like new.

I am thinking of just sending them to Diawa at the end of summer for them to service. anyone tried this???

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 pm

All the spinning reels I have broken down have a ton more grease than the casting reels I have done.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:19 am

Here's a series of tutorials done some years ago by a guy on an Asian forum somewhere. He did an excellent job on them =D> and although they all are specific to the Daiwa SS Tournament series, it's the procedures and ATTENTION TO DETAIL that are important. Yes, you can "super tune" a spinner. They benefit just as much from polishing key parts and bearing upgrades as do casting reels.

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143647
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115667
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewto ... ae10b928d9

One last thing I'll throw out there. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, invest in one of these magnifier lamps. If you're going to be serious about servicing reels, it's money well spent. Use the 20% off coupons that frequently show up in the mailers and you're under $30 for it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescen ... o-top-link