Line Lubricants

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Line Lubricants

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 pm

I know this should perhaps be in the line forum, but it's a dichotomy I couldn't decide which way to split. I've always wondered if any of the popular line sprays could have a negative or positive effect on a reel. I'm talking about reel magic, KVD line conditioner, or straight silicone spray. I've used all three of these in the past to deal with coils in fluorocarbon, icing of reels/line, or just in an attempt to increase casting distance by reducing friction on the rod/reel. Do any of you use these sprays?

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line Lubricants

Post by metanium » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:18 pm

I've used Reel Magic for the past year or so with mixed results. It does seem to soften fluoro enough to remove some of the memory (coiling). However, the improvement seems to be very short-lived.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I use it for everything, i find it helps. KVD one.
Last edited by cndbasshunter on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:32 pm

I've used reel magic, and it's basically worthless. It just washes off as soon as it hits the water, and it will break up the grease in your reel. KVD seems to work alright for stiffer monofilaments. I haven't had any real success with it on fluoro, but I think that's because fluoro is non-porous, so it doesn't soak anything in.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:38 am

What about WD40?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:52 am

mark poulson wrote:What about WD40?
Probably not good to spray a petroleum based product into your water. It will also dissolve any oil or grease if it gets inside your reel. And it will wash off after one cast.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:03 am

tywithay wrote:
mark poulson wrote:What about WD40?
Probably not good to spray a petroleum based product into your water. It will also dissolve any oil or grease if it gets inside your reel. And it will wash off after one cast.
Thanks for the advice. I've never tried it, and now I never will.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 am

I'm a fan of the KVD line/lure conditioner. I've used Reel Magic in the past, and it just seems to be a waste of money.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:47 am

I like KVD because Line & Lure is a special polymer blend that becomes part of the fishing line it is applied to. Other line treatments you find on the market are primarily silicone oil and solvents. Silicone oil only temporarily coats the line and solvents can damage line. Silicone oil rapidly comes off the line (on your hands and in the water), requiring re-treatment of the line after just a few casts.
The special polymers in Line & Lure are hydrophobic (water repelling) and very slippery. It doesn't allow water to draw back on to the reel spool, which eliminates the line drag that a "wet" spool has. It also protects the line from wearing out as quickly as un-treated line because it resists the abrasion that wears line out. It contains no oils or solvents as in Reel Magic that can build up and collect dirt like silicone/oil treatments will.

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 am

KVD L&L is great product and works well with all line types.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 am

Like all others have said, KVD Line and Lure conditioner is what I use to rid my fishing lines of memory. I recommend you spraying it on your reels the night before you go fishing so the lubricant can work its magic overnight.