TD Zillion vs Curado I: better workhorse reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

TD Zillion vs Curado I: better workhorse reel

Post by trent_s » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 am

Ok I've bought two Zillions recently for around $230, and am debating buying another while I love the Zillion, the Curado I could be worth a closer look. Based on the review it looks to more robust internals than the E version and I've heard a lot about the casting ability. And I may be the only one, but I will state I have reservations about the long term durability of the SVS system as it relies on friction...and friction, in my experience, wears things out. :-k
I'm assuming the "I" will have tuning spools and other goodies available within the year. And sounds like it could cast on the lower end of the spectrum a little better than the Zillion. However the Zillion is a damn powerhouse and is smooth as silk under loads...and of course the tuning possibilities are off the charts with this reel for a workhorse reel.
Just to be clear I don't large swimbaits much, I do throw the smaller ones soft ones like the Keitech swingbaits and other offerings, however I will be getting a few 6" Huds this year, but even they're only around 2 ounces, so I'm assuming the Curado could handle those...although I don't know? I do know the Zillion can. I don't throw A-rigs, and other than deep cranking everything else is jerkbaits, jigs, soft plastics, and those last three make up 85% of what the reel would be asked to do.

So for anyone who's fished them both...thoughts?

And please don't pepper this post with stuff about how I could get a Lew's or a Garcia. I'm not going to. So please just stick to the two reels. Thanks fellas. :D

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD Zillion vs Curado I: better workhorse reel

Post by facelessnewsouth » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:48 am

Let me start by saying I'm a Shimano guy. I love the palmability of the Shimano reels, and I love the new SVS infinity breaking system. I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Curado for the techniques you described.

However, the original Zillion (haven't handled the new t-wing variant) is a boss, probably the only daiwa I could learn to love. It's a tank, and won't ever let you down. I'm a firm believer in using what works, and if the zillions have worked for you so far, I'd say it's a safe bet they'll keep working well for you. Maybe try a different variant on the zillion, a Megabass IP, a J-Dream, an HLC, or a PE special perhaps? The Curado I will be around for at least a couple years, but those old school zillions will be disappearing soon.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:07 am

The Zillion would be my choice. There were some complaints that people were getting a little tired of all the Zillion variants, I was one of them myself. But looking back at it all, there was a reason why the platform lasted so many years.

Tons of spools and other options. Two of my favorites are the tdz and HLC spools. Zillions respond very well to supertuning, and it was the first reel that I turned myself. A bearing upgrade makes a big difference, I am not a fan of the stock bearings on these reels.

My personal favorite is the Zillion 50ths, durable as can be, and still performs like the day I bought them with occasional maintenance.

slideaction
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slideaction » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:46 am

Coming from a shimano background ive also gone to the dark side. Recently bought a zillion cranker version and have been quite surprised esp with casting distance (shore fisherman). And if i need to change reel preference ill just put in the pe spool, or bbs spool for more line, etc. Next things to get are gears in case i want to change up to faster retrieve. However my calcutta 401 te has been my usualreel since im mainly throw 2 oz plus baits. Hoping there may be a hg conquest release in 400 series. NNevertheless, the zillion is a good choice as well

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:59 am

I sold me E series and got a Zillion. I've handled the new I, it's still not close to the Zillion in terms of feel and rigidity. The Zillion to me is a lighter, more compact, smoother and much more refined D series Curado.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:02 am

I would choose any variant over the Curado I. Those reels are tanks. There is a reason that they have been around so long...they flat out work. My personal favorite is my Coastal and Type R. There will always be parts for tuning around.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:08 am

Never fished the Curado I but I have handled them in the store. To me at least the old Zillions still hold the edge. The feel smoother and more solid. I have 2 50ths and wouldn't trade them for anything.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:47 am

Zillion by far. For me it's better palmability and better performance. I would rather have the E series of a Shimano than the I. Zillions are the cats meow, and though I am a die-hard Shimano user, their new stuff doesn't impress me much.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 am

both workhorse reels I would put the curado I against any zillion,daiwa has been milking this design for years,had the original zillion it was a solid and smooth reel ,but the performance was'nt there.everyone is going to have different opinions on what they feel is better,if you love the zillion then stick with them,especially if your use to the feel and performance of them,another good option would be the tatulla type r.
Last edited by phatbass on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:00 am

phatbass wrote:both workhorse reels I would put the curado I against any zillion,daiwa has been milking this design for years,had the original zillion it was a solid and smooth reel ,but the performance was'nt there.
Never hear that before :-k Oh well, to each his own.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:25 am

Finnz922 wrote:
phatbass wrote:both workhorse reels I would put the curado I against any zillion,daiwa has been milking this design for years,had the original zillion it was a solid and smooth reel ,but the performance was'nt there.
thats just my opinion based off the original model .

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:10 am

phatbass wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:
How are you liking your Curado I? This will sound picky but I couldn't get over the SVS cast control knob. The one at Cabela's seemed uncomfortable and didn't turn easy.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
phatbass wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:
How are you liking your Curado I? This will sound picky but I couldn't get over the SVS cast control knob. The one at Cabela's seemed uncomfortable and didn't turn easy.
I enjoy it alot its very comfortable to palm and once you figure out the braking system your good to go.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm a little surprised that everyone is on the Zillion. After reading the review done by TT and some members I was thinking the Curado I was worth a strong look...although I can't get over the cast control system, and I could be completely off base, I just worry with any system that relies on actual friction during cast that parts could become worn after thousands of repetitions. But the silver finish is a welcome upgrade, and I love the S Ship....so basically everything but the cast control.

I was hoping to get more feedback on how great the new "I" is...I guess I want to like it, but I'm still not convinced the infinity will system will be durable in the long run. The only way to find out may to be to just pull the trigger on one. :-k

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:03 pm

trent_s wrote:I'm a little surprised that everyone is on the Zillion. After reading the review done by TT and some members I was thinking the Curado I was worth a strong look...although I can't get over the cast control system, and I could be completely off base, I just worry with any system that relies on actual friction during cast that parts could become worn after thousands of repetitions. But the silver finish is a welcome upgrade, and I love the S Ship....so basically everything but the cast control.

I was hoping to get more feedback on how great the new "I" is...I guess I want to like it, but I'm still not convinced the infinity will system will be durable in the long run. The only way to find out may to be to just pull the trigger on one. :-k
Well you are wanting a comparison of a $180 reel to a $3-400 reel. I personally think the curado I can stand toe to toe with any reel and put in a good showing. I wouldn't worry about the brakes, all centrifugal brakes rely on friction. I'd be more worried about the inductor spring on the zillion wearing out or weakening over time and giving inconsistent performance. Since you already have a zillion, try the curado out, I think you will be surprised.