BPS Johnny Morris reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

BPS Johnny Morris reel

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Has anyone tried the BPS Johnny Morris Carbon Lite?
It weighs 5.9oz., and has an aluminum frame, for $129. That's for an aluminum frame with 10 bearings and externally adjustable mag brakes.

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: BPS Johnny Morris reel

Post by SouthArkFishin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:25 am

Don't know about that specific model, but I've got a buddy that fishes 4-5 days a week and he says the Johnny Morris line are good reels. He's normally a Curado guy, but he speaks well of the BPS reels.

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

I do not have that specific model but I have the Signature models and have been using it for the last 10 years along side my Daiwas and Quantums and it has held up very well and they get steady regular use. One of them is a dedicated crankbait reel.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't have that reel either but just changed out the spool bearings and regreased and now my dad's 2 Morris reels are ready for another season at 9 years strong.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:52 am

Every one of those I have handled have felt geary. Now if they feel that way when fished I have not experienced it.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:47 am

The original BPS Carbonlite in the orange color is a spectacular reel. I've got mine hotrodded (OS, tuned, etc) and its mounted on a 6' 3" Fenwick ET Smallmouth. I use it for small topwaters, 1/4 oz jerk baits and shallow cranks and even for 3/16 spinner baits. It's a smooth reel (not as smooth as a CH50e, but also half the price) that casts as well as anything else I own.

The "new" Carbonlite from 2 years ago is quite rough feeling. That said, I've used it to some great effect. Got two as my "Florida" reels. One's on 6'6" medium Carbonlite rod. It's loaded with 10lb Suffix Seige and has landed fish over 7lbs for me and shows no signs of slowing down. The second CL is on a 7' MH 13 Fishing Black loaded with 30lb braid for heavier applications, it's been a lot of fun tossing big spinnerbaits to grinnel, but I've yet to hand a good bass on it. For bottom contact plastics it doesn't compromise the fishing at all. But the "new" CL doesn't feel as magical as the original orange Carbonlite. Wish I'd bought a couple more of those at the close-out $79 price!

I also have the Bass Pro Johnny Morris Signature. For $150 its a real beast (no pun intended). Also has a full tuning (Nitroman) bearings, carbontex, etc... Casts and feels as smooth as a CHe or Abu (essentially it is an Abu as I understand it. Great reel that I use on a Powell 683 for essentially all purpose fishing. I havent found anything at $200 that I'd trade it for. It absolutely crushed a Lexa (actually had 3 Lexa reels when they first came out and got rid of them all - they felt more "geary" to me than the "new" Carbonlites at a higher price - and no I haven't tried the Tatula and probably won't at this point).

For reference I also own AG Winch, Record, CH50e, CH200e, CH100SF (super tuned and wonderful), CH Ci4+.

My $0.02

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 am

cornmuse wrote:The original BPS Carbonlite in the orange color is a spectacular reel. I've got mine hotrodded (OS, tuned, etc) and its mounted on a 6' 3" Fenwick ET Smallmouth. I use it for small topwaters, 1/4 oz jerk baits and shallow cranks and even for 3/16 spinner baits. It's a smooth reel (not as smooth as a CH50e, but also half the price) that casts as well as anything else I own.

The "new" Carbonlite from 2 years ago is quite rough feeling. That said, I've used it to some great effect. Got two as my "Florida" reels. One's on 6'6" medium Carbonlite rod. It's loaded with 10lb Suffix Seige and has landed fish over 7lbs for me and shows no signs of slowing down. The second CL is on a 7' MH 13 Fishing Black loaded with 30lb braid for heavier applications, it's been a lot of fun tossing big spinnerbaits to grinnel, but I've yet to hand a good bass on it. For bottom contact plastics it doesn't compromise the fishing at all. But the "new" CL doesn't feel as magical as the original orange Carbonlite. Wish I'd bought a couple more of those at the close-out $79 price!

I also have the Bass Pro Johnny Morris Signature. For $150 its a real beast (no pun intended). Also has a full tuning (Nitroman) bearings, carbontex, etc... Casts and feels as smooth as a CHe or Abu (essentially it is an Abu as I understand it. Great reel that I use on a Powell 683 for essentially all purpose fishing. I havent found anything at $200 that I'd trade it for. It absolutely crushed a Lexa (actually had 3 Lexa reels when they first came out and got rid of them all - they felt more "geary" to me than the "new" Carbonlites at a higher price - and no I haven't tried the Tatula and probably won't at this point).

For reference I also own AG Winch, Record, CH50e, CH200e, CH100SF (super tuned and wonderful), CH Ci4+.

My $0.02
Great writeup. Thanks.